What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Poulenc: Les Biches, Pastourelle, Aubade - Pretre/Philharmonia.

[asin]B0002RUAD8[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Albinoni:
Sonata No. 5
Sonata No. 6

Mandryka

Tetraktys Chantilly iii. This contains something really special, a song by Trebor called Passerose de Beauté sung by someone called Julia von Landsberg. Her voice is ravishing,  the music making is ravishing, the song (about 10 minutes) is a masterpiece. Others have performed it - Orlando and Ferrara, but IMO they're unlistenable, awful, after this. The thing came today so I'm not in a position to comment on the rest.

Trebor is someone clearly worth getting to know, but apart from Crawford Young, not much has been recorded as far as I can see.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Maestro267

Elgar: The Apostles
Soloists, Choir of Downe House School
London Philharmonic Choir & Orchestra/Boult

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on January 05, 2017, 08:55:24 AM

Tetraktys Chantilly iii. This contains something really special, a song by Trebor called Passerose de Beauté sung by someone called Julia von Landsberg. Her voice is ravishing,  the music making is ravishing, the song (about 10 minutes) is a masterpiece. Others have performed it - Orlando and Ferrara, but IMO they're unlistenable, awful, after this. The thing came today so I'm not in a position to comment on the rest.

Trebor is someone clearly worth getting to know, but apart from Crawford Young, not much has been recorded as far as I can see.

I went to the website, the recordings look interesting although a little expensive.  Some might be available as downloads from iTunes.  Are the booklets worth having?

Karl Henning

JSB
Chaconne in d minor from the BWV 1004, arr. Busoni
Pletnev
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

The A-La-Mi-Re Manuscripts
Capilla Flamenca

I found out the flamenca in Capilla Flamenca has nothing to do with Flamenco music, but the Flemish region.  I've always liked this scribe, Pierre Alamire, associated with this collection, from what I've read he was a real operator. From branding himself with the Guidonian solfege, to sub-contracting out his copying, and being a diplomat and spy - I like him a lot.

;)

Karl Henning

Chopin
Scherzo № 3 in c# minor, Op.39 (B.125)
Pletnev
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Haydn: Symphony No. 72 [Goodman]

San Antone

Monastic Chant
Paul Hillier | Theatre of Voices

A very good recording of this music, one of the better things Paul Hillier has done recently (2013).

Mahlerian

Byrd: Mass for Five Voices, Lamentations, Motets
The Hilliard Ensemble
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Todd

Starting in on Young's Bruckner with Symphony 00.  I've listened to this maybe twice before under Tintner's baton, and it has been many moons.  Almost more Mendelssohnian than Brucknerian, it's not bad as far as symphonic trifles go.  I'll be hearing it again soon-ish under Skrowaczewski's baton.  I can wait.

Playing and sound are generally fine, so I expect some good things when good things are to be heard.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on January 05, 2017, 10:27:53 AM
I went to the website, the recordings look interesting although a little expensive.  Some might be available as downloads from iTunes.  Are the booklets worth having?

The booklet's like a  scholarly encyclopedia article on the songs. I've not heard the whole CD, when I have I'll try and say a bit more about it. But generally I'm enjoying the Tatraktys style more and more.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Some things I currently want to learn more about. I love this kind of music :)

Kontrapunctus

San Antone

La Tròba

These are fantastic recordings.

Every box of 4 or 6 Cd represents a part of the 248 songs of the trobar between 1100 and 1300.

TROUBADOURS ART ENSEMBLE : This formation is led by Gerard Zuchetto and sings Occitan troubadours ballads from 12th and 13th centuries, the same Medieval songs which gave rise to the first modern literature of Europe. An Alchemy of words and sounds, emotions and accents, of Medieval sobriety and contemporary minimalism into the music, a living art to transport us to the most profound sentiment of Occitan poetry.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on January 05, 2017, 01:09:30 PM
The booklet's like a  scholarly encyclopedia article on the songs. I've not heard the whole CD, when I have I'll try and say a bit more about it. But generally I'm enjoying the Tatraktys style more and more.

That kind of booklet is what I look for.  Are they a mixed group (male/female)?  Use instruments?  If so, which and where?  Sorry for being so demanding, but the site does not provide any audio clips - which is inexcusable in this day and age.

;)

André

And

All 5 sections of Sinfonia interna were composed in 1915, but for some reason Langgaard stopped work on what he described as a 'stage symphony'. All were revised at various times until his death, and the whole was put together for this recording, made in 1999.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Some fantastic instrumental and vocal selections on this