What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahlerian

Takemitsu: Day Signal, Quotation of Dream, How Slow the Wind, Twill by Twilight, Archipelago S., Dream/Window, Night Signal
London Sinfonietta, cond. Knussen
[asin]B00000I0L6[/asin]
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Spineur

Quote from: Mahlerian on August 16, 2017, 01:31:17 PM
Takemitsu: Day Signal, Quotation of Dream, How Slow the Wind, Twill by Twilight, Archipelago S., Dream/Window, Night Signal
[asin]B00000I0L6[/asin]
This is very good.  I'll should give it another spin.

listener

MENDELSSOHN Die Erste Walpurgisnacht  op. 60
and as if in apology a Kyrie and a cantata on O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden
Lisbon Gulbenkian Chorus and Orch.      Gilles Cachemaille bar.
Michel Corboz, cond.
and off to pick up some Pizzetti downtown
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brian

Quote from: Brian on August 16, 2017, 01:08:52 PM
First listen to Gielen's Eroica

The first 3 minutes are A+
Wow, this instantly jumps onto my shortlist of faves. So much energy and immediacy, but not in a youthful/headstrong way - speed with integrity. Need to listen to the rest of the cycle ASAP.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on August 16, 2017, 01:49:03 PM
Wow, this instantly jumps onto my shortlist of faves. So much energy and immediacy, but not in a youthful/headstrong way - speed with integrity. Need to listen to the rest of the cycle ASAP.

Dammit.  Are you listening to a disc or streaming? 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

nodogen

Schnittke, Penderecki, Kurtag, Weinberg.
String Trios

[asin]B00MNW7M6S[/asin]

nodogen

Quote from: Mahlerian on August 16, 2017, 01:31:17 PM
[asin]B00000I0L6[/asin]

Please show some respect for my finances. I'm really enjoying my Takemitsu discs. I think he may be nudging into one of my favourites.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Harry's corner on August 15, 2017, 10:19:01 PM
This is the only set of Bach's Organ works, I still need to have. But also his Buxtehude, Weckman, and other sets.
The Bach is still quite expensive in Europe, to say nothing about Buxtehude. :(

I think it is I who should be posting a sad emoticon, for Foccroulle's is the only set of Bach organ works I have. :( I have been eyeing that Silbermann box you posted a couple of days ago, but in the States anyway it is prohibitively expensive. I'd also like to have the Isoir set at some point, too.

But I did find the Foccroulle box on AmazonUK for a decent price, though I'm unsure what the shipping would be to the Netherlands:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002JIBCRQ/sr=1-1/qid=1502925158/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1502925158&sr=1-1
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

North Star

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 16, 2017, 03:17:33 PM
I think it is I who should be posting a sad emoticon, for Foccroulle's is the only set of Bach organ works I have. :(
Hey, that's my only set too, but the playing, instruments and recording quality certainly don't leave me sad..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

HIPster

Good evening.  :)

Just back from a long work trip.  Fortunately, some new arrivals were awaiting my return.  ;)

A first spin ~i

[asin]B002HD1RH8[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: North Star on August 16, 2017, 03:55:14 PM
Hey, that's my only set too, but the playing, instruments and recording quality certainly don't leave me sad..

:) I feel 100% the same. The organs chosen are all great beauties, sound-wise. And to go along with that, I love Foccroulle's playing. The whole project has this air of high-quality to it. A tough act to follow, for sure... 
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Kontrapunctus

Another bargain LP! ($1.98) Someone must have brought in an entire collection to my local record store--all seem to be in mint shape. Wonderful playing and sound.

kishnevi

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 16, 2017, 05:26:38 PM
:) I feel 100% the same. The organs chosen are all great beauties, sound-wise. And to go along with that, I love Foccroulle's playing. The whole project has this air of high-quality to it. A tough act to follow, for sure...

Too bad Vernet's set is priced as if it's gold plated platinum...
If you are interested in a second set, the Hanssler set is good value for the money. Unless you can in fact find a copy of Vernet that is not priced like gold plated platinum.
TD
Just finished a repeat listen of this set. My first opinion about Raff holds:
[asin]B002QV20VS[/asin]
People who like Schumann's symphonies would like Raff. Quality is better and there are 11 symphonies, not 4.

Todd

Tipped off by T&F, I decided to get the $5 24/192 download.  An outstanding performance in SOTA sound.  It joins Dorati and Abbado rather than displacing them, at least qualitatively.  When factoring in the sound, with all its wall vibrating goodness, this will probably be my go-to.  I sure wouldn't mind if MTT recorded more Berg.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 16, 2017, 06:03:30 PM

TD
Just finished a repeat listen of this set. My first opinion about Raff holds:
[asin]B002QV20VS[/asin]
People who like Schumann's symphonies would like Raff. Quality is better and there are 11 symphonies, not 4.
Didn't hold for me. I love Schumann, but after this set and several other Raff discs, I just don't find him all that interesting. I'd like to, because he should theoretically be someone I enjoy, and there are now lots of discs of his music.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 16, 2017, 06:03:30 PM
Too bad Vernet's set is priced as if it's gold plated platinum...
If you are interested in a second set, the Hanssler set is good value for the money. Unless you can in fact find a copy of Vernet that is not priced like gold plated platinum.

I listened to some samples of Vernet, but I really need to YouTube him when I get the time. He sounds quite on the "extrovert" side compared to Foccroulle, which might provide a nice contrasting take.

Que

Morning listening us more of the miscellaneous pieces by Pieter-Jan Belder on a harpsichord after Ruckers:

Q

Harry

Early morning listening.
Second rerun.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry's corner on August 16, 2017, 10:21:27 PM
Early morning listening.
Second rerun.

Good morning, Harry....excellent choice!  :)

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on August 16, 2017, 10:36:31 PM
Good morning, Harry....excellent choice!  :)

Q

Good morning Que.
I simply cannot stop listening to this set......
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."