What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

Scriabin Symphony 3, Prometheus and Reverie (Richter on piano for Prometheus), conducted by Svetlanov and recorded live. Blistering performances.

From the Melodiya Anthology of Russian Symphony Music Vol 2

Mirror Image

Quote from: staxomega on February 10, 2019, 08:03:48 AM
Scriabin Symphony 3, Prometheus and Reverie (Richter on piano for Prometheus), conducted by Svetlanov and recorded live. Blistering performances.

From the Melodiya Anthology of Russian Symphony Music Vol 2

I'd love to own those Melodiya anthologies, but they're just way too expensive, IMHO.

SonicMan46

Chadwick, George Whitefield (1854-1931) - continuing to 'explore' my American classical collection - today, George Chadwick is up - own the 4 CDs shown below; all orchestral music, except for the solo piano selection performed by Peter Kairoff (a professor at our local Wake Forest University) - if interested, see attached reviews (select out the 'Symphonic' comments from the two included).  Dave :)

staxomega

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 10, 2019, 08:06:26 AM
I'd love to own those Melodiya anthologies, but they're just way too expensive, IMHO.

Yeah these two volumes and the Richter, Gilels Melodiya boxes were my biggest wallet busting classical purchases. I justify it (and my hifi gear) by telling myself I'm still driving my car from residency/fellowship  :laugh:

ritter

Cross-posted from the opera thread (this work and recording deserve as much exposure as possible  :)):

Quote from: ritter on February 10, 2019, 08:35:38 AM
First listen to this recording of Georges Enesco's beautiful and noble Oedipe:

Despite the so-so (but perfectly tolerable) sound and the cuts in the score, this is turning out to be the most convincing recording of this masterpiece I know (the others being Lawrence Foster's—with José van Dam—on EMI, and Michael Gielen's—live from Vienna, with Monte Pedersen—on Naxos).

This is a live concert given in the Salle Pleyel a fortnight after the composer's death—I presume it was a homage to him—, and AFAIK the first performance of the score after the 1936 Paris premiere. Charles Brück (who also recorded a magnificent French-language version of Prokofiev's The Fiery Angel) has a masterful grip of this complex score, and (as one reviewer put it) it sounds more "modern" and daring than in the later recordings. The cast are all native French speakers, and their renditions have a natural flow that is admirable. Xavier Depraz (despite some very occasional hoarseness) is simultaneously imposing and moving in the title rôle, Rita Gorr is appropriately menacing as the Sphinx, Geneviève Moizan is superb as Jocaste, Berthe Monmart is touching as Antigone, and so on even to the tiniest roles. The chorus is also first-rate: their screams near  the end of Act 3 (the blinding of Oedipus), replying to the lead's "Ouvrez les portes!" are chilling.

A wonderful document.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 10, 2019, 08:06:26 AM
Same here.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Symphony 3 'Laudes Musicae'
A rather beautiful and poetic work for Tenor Solo and Orchestra:

Nice Sunday evening listening.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: ritter on February 10, 2019, 08:41:03 AM
Cross-posted from the opera thread (this work and recording deserve as much exposure as possible  :)):

What a cast !! This is mouth watering stuff !

ritter

Quote from: André on February 10, 2019, 09:39:04 AM
What a cast !! This is mouth watering stuff !
It is...I'm quite bowled over!

Mirror Image

Quote from: staxomega on February 10, 2019, 08:19:59 AM
Yeah these two volumes and the Richter, Gilels Melodiya boxes were my biggest wallet busting classical purchases. I justify it (and my hifi gear) by telling myself I'm still driving my car from residency/fellowship  :laugh:

:laugh:

NikF4

Delibes: Sylvia - Mogrelia/Razumovsky Sinfonia.

[asin]B00000147D[/asin]

staxomega

Shostakovich's Op. 87 Preludes and Fugues have been in my heavy listening recently (Scherbakov my long time reference), I listened to all of Muza Rubackyte play them on Youtube to see if I should buy the CD. I don't think they got to the heart of these compositions, a shame since I really love Muza in many works :( There are also some loud, nasty digital glitches in the final prelude and fugue, maybe that is just on the Youtube version. 

The playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEyYTVkpXgM&list=OLAK5uy_npXaFSOv8rSMEVDQQirbmA-9EXHjiK-yo

Now listening to Ashkenazy play all of Rachmaninov's Variations on a Theme of Chopin, Op. 22

André

Symphony no 2 is a "pure" application of Nørgård's infinity rows technique. The notes mention that the results sound closer to Riley and Reich than to Boulez and Stockhausen. Agreed. The minimalist feel is obvious. The whole work is built as a mathematical structure: the first 4096 notes of the chromatic infinity row, equally divided in 4 sections of 1024 notes, each of these in turn divided by 4 ( = 256 notes of the infinity row), the sections being varied mostly by orchestration. Lest that sound numbingly repetitive and formulaic, there is variety in the musical result.

Obviously that kind of thing is a cul-de-sac over the long term and Nørgård was clever enough to recognize this early. Therefore he never settled for long into a particular musical technique. When he was done with an experiment he carried on and tried other things: "Change, growth and metamorphosis are recurring themes in Per Norgård's production". In the 4th symphony (1981) his encounter with the works of writer/painter Adolf Wölfli finds a striking musical illustration. From this experience he derives the notion of idyll/catastrophe, where beauty and chaos mingle to create a schizophrenic musical adventure. Given that both works are rather short (23 and 18 minutes) I can't say I was bored or irritated. The composer knows when he's done, a quality I appreciate.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on February 06, 2019, 08:39:09 AM
Sinfonia Pascale (Symphony 3)
A fine, urgent, tonal, declamatory, poetic and memorable score:

Reminds me slightly of Kokkonen's Symphony 4 and also of Einar Englund.

Another fine recent discovery of mine thanks to you, Jeffrey. Just when I thought I knew all the great British composers, along comes people like Philip Spratley! 8)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

NikF4

Auric: Les facheux - Poppen/Deutsche Radio Philharmonie Saarbrücken Kaiserslautern.

[asin]B0040Y7F0K[/asin]

André

Same choir, soloists and orchestra throughout, but a change of conductor occurs midway. Cantatas I-III are under Karl Friedrich Beringer, the choir's longtime conductor. This was his very last performance and recording (Christmas week 2011). Martin Lehmann, the new director, takes over for cantatas IV-VI. A superb recording, more HIP influenced than previous Windsbacher/Beringer performances.

Mirror Image

Varèse
Amériques
Arcana
Déserts
Ionisation

Pierre Boulez, conductor
CSO

ritter

Quote from: NikF4 on February 10, 2019, 12:07:35 PM
Auric: Les facheux - Poppen/Deutsche Radio Philharmonie Saarbrücken Kaiserslautern.

[asin]B0040Y7F0K[/asin]
I was listening to that some months ago...That's a costume design by Braque in the cover.  ;)

Kontrapunctus

NikF4

Quote from: ritter on February 10, 2019, 01:36:51 PM
I was listening to that some months ago...That's a costume design by Braque in the cover.  ;)

What a coincidence.  ;D