What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Tcherepnin's piano music, volume 3 new on Naxos. Sound the CATO buzzer!!

prémont

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 03, 2013, 12:38:45 PM
Me too, the notebook included. How about consistency, eh?  :D

He changed his style between the Partitas and the English suites. I prefer his early more balanced style.

Quote from: Gordon Shumway
Oh yes, but it was about a disc as fortepianist, called Hommage à Bach (devoted to Schumann). Highly recommendable, indeed; as recommendable as the Schumann's piano & violin sonatas performed with Sepec.  :)

Didn´t we agree some time ago, that he plays the fortepiano almost like a modern piano?
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 03, 2013, 12:52:32 PM
I would like to listen to Moroney II.  :)

Robert Hill is also very good.

Moroney II is not up to Moroney I.

Hill is rather good, yes, but a tad hectic. I prefer the more calm interpretations.

prémont

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 03, 2013, 01:02:52 PM
Didn´t we agree some time ago, that he plays the fortepiano almost like a modern piano?
Yes, but I prefer that to a harpsichord played as a modern piano.  ;)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 03, 2013, 01:12:15 PM
Mmmm, you are inspiring me to listen to his set soon. :)

I just have one disc by him (Dvořák/Arts) and not too much memorable, so it was a pleasant surprise to find this video on YouTube.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

The "Purchases Thread" suggested me this disc:

[asin]B0001U0G0S[/asin]

http://www.youtube.com/v/XOBtPmJ5FUI
-- Voltaire

Sammy

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 03, 2013, 12:30:30 PM
Yes certainly, particulary van Delft´s Kunst der Fuge. Of all harpsichord versions I know (as much as 24 versions), I rank his among my favorite five, the four others being Leonhardt II (DHM), Moroney I (Harmonia Mundi), Messori (Brilliant Classics) and maybe Rieger (CAvi).

Kenneth Gilbert's my favorite.  Unfortunately, it's been oop for a few years.

TheGSMoeller

Finally arrived from Presto. More than likely will be on repeat most of the evening. Right at the start, Kuijken incorporates some very broad tempos within Le Matin, that allows ample time to enjoy each highly enchanting melody and all of the delightful solos. Although the Menuet dances perfectly. Highly recommended.

Geo Dude

HIPster

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 03, 2013, 02:59:17 PM

Starting on disc 2.

I am eagerly awaiting this set!

Thread duty:

Gesualdo/Hilliards ~
[asin]B00753M9UY[/asin]

Outstanding release!  Getting a lot of play chez Hipster these days. . .

Gesualdo/Herzog ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6iaghGYSjc

'Death For Five Voices' an incredibly strange and interesting film.  Almost an hour in length, this film is well worth the time.

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

HIPster

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2013, 02:24:56 PM
Finally arrived from Presto. More than likely will be on repeat most of the evening. Right at the start, Kuijken incorporates some very broad tempos within Le Matin, that allows ample time to enjoy each highly enchanting melody and all of the delightful solos. Although the Menuet dances perfectly. Highly recommended.

Wow!  That looks quite nice. . .

The works that sold me on Haydn when I was in my late teens.  Currently, I reach for Pinnock/English Concert disc when I want to listen to these. 

This La Petite Bande version is probably to my liking, however.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

kishnevi

After supper:
[asin]B00BQSSGD8[/asin]

Desert island quality.

Those folks who said this was an outstanding recording of LSdP were entirely and totally correct.  It might be the best recording, period.  And it's better because it's been remastered, and remastered very well.

In fact, the only criticism I can make of this recording is that it should have been released as an SACD.

Currently, another ballet
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe
Montreal Symphony Orchestra and Chorus/Dutoit conductor
CD 9 of DG's Ravel Complete Edition
Not quite as awesome, but still ravishingly good (and the contrast with the Stravinsky!  Even though they were composed within a year of each other!)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 03, 2013, 05:34:40 PM
After supper:
[asin]B00BQSSGD8[/asin]

Desert island quality.

Those folks who said this was an outstanding recording of LSdP were entirely and totally correct.  It might be the best recording, period.  And it's better because it's been remastered, and remastered very well.

In fact, the only criticism I can make of this recording is that it should have been released as an SACD.

Pounds the table!!!

I can't wait to receive my copy and hear this legendary performance. 8)

Wakefield

Beethoven - Complete String Quartets
Alexander String Quartet
Arte Nova, 9-CD set
1996/1997 (1st recording)

[asin]B000GETWHM[/asin]

CD 4: String Quartets Nos. 7 & 10

One of the best acquisitions of the last time. Completely satisfactory, every quartet sounds fresh and young, without fat, as if it were being presented the next  day of its composition.  :)
-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 03, 2013, 06:42:54 PM
Alexander String Quartet
Arte Nova, 9-CD set

[asin]B000GETWHM[/asin]

One of the best acquisitions of the last time. Completely satisfactory, every quartet sounds fresh and young, without fat, as if it were being presented the next  day of its composition.  :)

I've been considering that one for a long time.  You've finally tipped me into ordering it.

Thread duty.
[asin]B00BK40QH2[/asin]
High quality performance of Rossini's last opera.

Geo Dude

Quote from: HIPster on May 03, 2013, 04:23:37 PM
I am eagerly awaiting this set!

I was a bit annoyed when I ordered this and then saw that it was included in the Vivarte Collection...having it on hand I have no regrets.  I'd rather sell it later at a small loss than wait until I've saved up enough for that set to hear it.

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 03, 2013, 06:42:54 PM
Alexander String Quartet
Arte Nova, 9-CD set

[asin]B000GETWHM[/asin]

Hmm, I'm in the market for a new set of Beethoven string quartets, I'll have to check out some samples. :)

Listened to disc two of this shortly before getting on the computer:

The first disc took some getting used to--some parts struck me as a bit astringent--but in the second disc with works that I'm more unfamiliar with (and perhaps don't have that 'astringent' reputation seared into my mind) her tone and musicality really started to work on me.  I will definitely be returning to this in the future and understand why is has a small, albeit dedicated fan base here.

Octave

Re: Haydn symphonies by Weil/Tafelmusik (Sony, 7cd):
Quote from: Geo Dude on May 03, 2013, 08:21:21 PM
I was a bit annoyed when I ordered this and then saw that it was included in the Vivarte Collection...having it on hand I have no regrets.  I'd rather sell it later at a small loss than wait until I've saved up enough for that set to hear it.

...but only two discs of the Weil 7cd were included in the big Vivarte box.  So you probably still got a good deal on the 7cd box!  Of course, I am relying on the contents listing at Presto; I am not 100% about this. 
I love those Weil recordings.  I'll be digging into Hogwood's set/series in about a week, hopefully listening to a disc a day of that set.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Wakefield

Quote from: Octave on May 03, 2013, 08:37:30 PM
Re: Haydn symphonies by Weil/Tafelmusik (Sony, 7cd):
...but only two discs of the Weil 7cd were included in the big Vivarte box.  So you probably still got a good deal on the 7cd box!  Of course, I am relying on the contents listing at Presto; I am not 100% about this. 
I love those Weil recordings.  I'll be digging into Hogwood's set/series in about a week, hopefully listening to a disc a day of that set.

If you like this set, another mandatory acquisition will be the Haydn masses conducted by Weil:

[asin]B001TQ1KBW[/asin]

Especially if you get its Dutch incarnation at JPC (more comprehensive and incredibly cheap):

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Joseph-Haydn-1732-1809-Messen-Nr-27910-14/hnum/4558963

8)

-- Voltaire

Sadko

Aram Khachaturyan

Gayaneh

USSR RTV Large Symphony Orchestra
Djansug Kakhidze