Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Purchased earlier in the week.  Delivery took under 20 hours.  Disc lengths range from ~48 minutes to 86 minutes plus.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on April 27, 2019, 05:31:40 AM

Purchased earlier in the week.  Delivery took under 20 hours.  Disc lengths range from ~48 minutes to 86 minutes plus.

Please report when you have time.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Bought a bunch of Braunfels (that's a lot of b's :) ) -

And a Marx recording highly recommended by SymphonicAddict -

And some more Marx that I didn't own:

André

Enjoy, John;D

The Te Deum is one giant cosmic musical adventure. Typically in Braunfels' big pieces (Te Deum, Grosse Messe), the first half is slow to get started. But when it does, it builds up to shattering climaxes. My favourite orchestral piece is the Don Juan variations. Simply incredible. You should like the quintet and the concerto for organ and children's voices, too.

ritter

I don't intend to be a killjoy, but I found Braunfels's Te Deum insufferable when I listened to it some months ago for the first time (in another, much older recording). To each his own, and I know I'm in a minority here... ::) . I did like the Konzertstück for piano and orchestra.

THREAD DUTY:

More Ansermet to keep at the office. This OOP comprehensive selection of Stravinsky works could be had at an attractive price "used, like new":

[asin]B00005ND3M[/asin]
What really attracted me was Les noces in the French version by Ramuz. I wanted another version to put alongside the Boulez from 1965 I was listening to just the other day. And, of course, Ansermet conducted the premiere of Les noces, and of Pulcinella, and, and... :)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 27, 2019, 09:06:59 AM

A huge bunch! Braunfels and Marx have meant hours of immense pleasure for me lately. The chamber music of the latter is particularly impressive and refined.

I am with André in the Te Deum, it's a majestic work with some melting heavenly moments. The Grosse Messe is quite good, but I prefer the Te Deum overall.

Mirror Image

I ended up cancelling most of this order. I left behind the Marx recordings and the Braunfels on CPO and the Hänssler recording of the String Quintet.

vandermolen

Today:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

After discovering that this was out of print at Hyperion, which now offers a CD-R,  I put in an order for this:

[asin]B00WAZHSP8[/asin]

I'm planning to put in a larger order with Hyperion to catch up on my Cinquecento backlog, right after my Italy trip next week.

Q

Mirror Image

Not music purchases, but music related:

[asin]0199730059[/asin]

André

I have another version of the Braunfels Quintet. It is coupled here with Strauss' initial version of Metamorphosen, for string septet.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 28, 2019, 08:00:34 AM
Not music purchases, but music related:

[asin]0199730059[/asin]

[asin]1524731927[/asin]
I got the Walsh book just a couple of weeks ago in London. Still havrn't read it, but his two-volume Stravinsky bio was excellent.

Good day to you as well, John.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on April 28, 2019, 08:19:02 AM
I got the Walsh book just a couple of weeks ago in London. Still havrn't read it, but his two-volume Stravinsky bio was excellent.

Good day to you as well, John.

Hey Rafael, I ended up cancelling the Walsh book on Debussy after deciding I have enough books on this composer right now that I haven't even read. I am going to keep the Jensen book as it contains much more than a biography and has a comprehensive list of his oeuvre.

Brian

I accidentally the whole Michel Dalberto Erato box on Amazon US. 19 CDs for $40? Okay, twist my arm.

Queffelec is $40 for 21 CDs on Amazon.de. That may be next.

springrite

Forget Braunfels but you have more Marx on your shelf than your typical communist!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Maestro267

Britten: Cello Symphony; Sinfonia da Requiem; Cantata Misericordium
Rostropovich (cello)/English Chamber Orchestra/Britten

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on April 28, 2019, 06:57:57 PM
Forget Braunfels but you have more Marx on your shelf than your typical communist!

:P What can I say? I'm a commie pinko bastard! >:D ;D

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on April 28, 2019, 06:23:10 PM
I accidentally the whole Michel Dalberto Erato box on Amazon US. 19 CDs for $40? Okay, twist my arm.

Queffelec is $40 for 21 CDs on Amazon.de. That may be next.

I would get it, but about half of it I already have (and find superb) and the other half is stuff I'm not interested in (Scalati, etc?). Great records and a great value.

André

Brian

$185 shipped from Amazon.de:

plus

Relative to the Previn set price in the US, it's like getting the three additional CDs for free - and getting $5-10 off the Queffelec, too. Todd is leading me astray as usual with Nils' viola. I've only heard one of his discs so far, but that disc makes these seem like a safe investment - Monkemeyer is clearly in the top echelon of active violists alongside Antoine Tamestit, Maxim Rysanov, and Tabea Zimmermann.