R.I.P. Margaret Thatcher

Started by Florestan, April 08, 2013, 05:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: knight66 on April 09, 2013, 09:58:39 AMTodd, High minded humbug. I will leave it at that.

I always enjoy such posts, that merely hint at much greater insights.  Hate whoever you want; you don't really need to rationalize.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

knight66

Well, I think that was handling me probably more generously than I deserve. I don't think I am rationalising a reaction. It is the other way round, the reaction follows the effects of observed behaviours.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

vandermolen

Oddly enough, in view of all this, I went into my local town (Crowborough, East Sussex, UK) earlier this afternoon, to take my wife's laptop in to be repaired, when I was approached by the local BBC TV reporter and asked my views on Mrs Thatcher's legacy. I gave, what I thought was a fairly balanced assessment - 'important figure in British History, strong leader, first female PM etc but noted that they chose the most negative thing I said 'divisive and harmful to society' to play on the 6.30 local BBC News!

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2013, 11:21:40 AM
Oddly enough, in view of all this, I went into my local town earlier this afternoon, to take my wife's laptop in to be repaired, when I was approached by the local BBC TV reporter and asked my views on Mrs Thatcher's legacy. I gave, what I thought was a fairly balanced assessment - 'important figure in British History, strong leader, first female PM etc but noted that they chose the most negative thing I said 'divisive and harmful to society' to play on the 6.30 BBC News!

Dratted newshounds!

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2013, 11:23:22 AM
Dratted newshounds!

I am very amused/bemused by the whole thing but suspect that my right wing employers might think differently  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

knight66

Not STILL those nasty arms dealers surely.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2013, 11:25:09 AM
I am very amused/bemused by the whole thing but suspect that my right wing employers might think differently  8)

There's a scene in the "Free For All" episode of The Prisoner (the one where no. 6 runs for the office of no. 2) where a pair of journalists interview him.  He generally responds, "No comment," whereupon the journalizt furnishes an answer for him.  To the question where no. 6 does give an answer, the journalist notes down, "No comment."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: knight66 on April 09, 2013, 11:28:27 AM
Not STILL those nasty arms dealers surely.

Mike

Hehe v funny! Certainly not.

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2013, 11:30:53 AM
There's a scene in the "Free For All" episode of The Prisoner (the one where no. 6 runs for the office of no. 2) where a pair of journalists interview him.  He generally responds, "No comment," whereupon the journalizt furnishes an answer for him.  To the question where no. 6 does give an answer, the journalist notes down, "No comment."

I suspected they would select my negative comments but felt I should try to be honest. In case this sounds sanctimonious I am quite capable of NOT being honest.  8)

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2013, 11:21:40 AM
Oddly enough, in view of all this, I went into my local town (Crowborough, East Sussex, UK) earlier this afternoon, to take my wife's laptop in to be repaired, when I was approached by the local BBC TV reporter and asked my views on Mrs Thatcher's legacy. I gave, what I thought was a fairly balanced assessment - 'important figure in British History, strong leader, first female PM etc but noted that they chose the most negative thing I said 'divisive and harmful to society' to play on the 6.30 local BBC News!

That is how the media works. Somehow most people in the west seem to think that they have freedom of the press and it is somehow different from places where there allegedly isn't. Well, I have lived in both places for over 20 years each and they are more similar then you would like to admit. They know what they want to convey and you are the tools. I now refuse all interviews from AP and other western press because that is what they always always do. You talk for 40 minutes and they somehow got "China is a monster and the people here are outraged" out of it, every time. At least in China I get my columns and LIVE talk shows and I can convey my thoughts without missing a syllable.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: springrite on April 09, 2013, 05:20:20 PM
That is how the media works. Somehow most people in the west seem to think that they have freedom of the press and it is somehow different from places where there allegedly isn't. Well, I have lived in both places for over 20 years each and they are more similar then you would like to admit. They know what they want to convey and you are the tools. I now refuse all interviews from AP and other western press because that is what they always always do. You talk for 40 minutes and they somehow got "China is a monster and the people here are outraged" out of it, every time. At least in China I get my columns and LIVE talk shows and I can convey my thoughts without missing a syllable.
No, I cannot agree with this having lived in both types of places as well. I'll use Russia as a good example, where the press is clearly geared in one direction. In the US, there may be different stations/organizations that will do what you say about twisting the information to suit their needs, but there are so many options and each chooses what they want to write or say. This is significantly different from many countries, where diverging from the 'party' line is at best a fireable offense or at worst a deadly one (again using Russia, look at just how many 'opposition' journalists have been killed there).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mc ukrneal

By the way, a good example - try to write a criticism of the Russian Orthodox Church and you may find yourself in prision soon (see end of article)...http://news.yahoo.com/russias-orthodox-leader-says-feminism-very-dangerous-202254393.html

springrite

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 09, 2013, 06:03:51 PM
No, I cannot agree with this having lived in both types of places as well. I'll use Russia as a good example, where the press is clearly geared in one direction. In the US, there may be different stations/organizations that will do what you say about twisting the information to suit their needs, but there are so many options and each chooses what they want to write or say. This is significantly different from many countries, where diverging from the 'party' line is at best a fireable offense or at worst a deadly one (again using Russia, look at just how many 'opposition' journalists have been killed there).
I see your point. It is different, but not as different as you think especially when it comes to international issues. I am sure I have worked with the press of both countries much more than you have. It is certainly less different than you think.

Parsifal

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 09, 2013, 06:03:51 PM...This is significantly different from many countries, where diverging from the 'party' line is at best a fireable offense or at worst a deadly one (again using Russia, look at just how many 'opposition' journalists have been killed there).

I think your implication that journalists have been knocked off by the government is off the mark.   What gets them killed is usually writing about some oligarch/criminal's money.  It ain't good there, but it isn't as bad as you imply.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: springrite on April 09, 2013, 06:50:41 PM
I see your point. It is different, but not as different as you think especially when it comes to international issues. I am sure I have worked with the press of both countries much more than you have. It is certainly less different than you think.
That may be true, but I also have a lot of experience dealing with the press in multiple countries. And while there is something to your point, it IS as different as I indicated. We are not exactly talking apples to apples here, but it is hard to argue that the press in these countries is as open as the press in the US. I am talking broadly here, while I get the feeling you may not be.

In Eastern Europe for example, it is very common for stories to be bought. A standard approach is for a company/organization to pay for the story so that the story comes out exactly as the comp/org wants (and we're talking the leading news outlets of that country). Of course, many governments exert undue influence on the press. This is not acceptable at professional organizations in the US (or is certainly grounds for firing or whatever). And if the US govt were caught trying to twist someone's arm, there would be a huge pushback. There are all sorts of watchdog agencies/groups in the US that look for just such things.

Parsifal

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 09, 2013, 07:08:07 PM
In Eastern Europe for example, it is very common for stories to be bought. A standard approach is for a company/organization to pay for the story so that the story comes out exactly as the comp/org wants (and we're talking the leading news outlets of that country).

Also in the US

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/business/media/sponsors-now-pay-for-online-articles-not-just-ads.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Parsifal on April 09, 2013, 07:05:08 PM
I think your implication that journalists have been knocked off by the government is off the mark.   What gets them killed is usually writing about some oligarch/criminal's money.  It ain't good there, but it isn't as bad as you imply.

That's true too. But I'd say it's both. The government doesn't make their lives easier (and the boundry between business and government is far murkier than it is in the West). But I actually think it is worse than I said. There have been an estimated 200-300+ deaths of Russian journalists in the last 20 years (can you imagine the reaction in the US to such a statistic (excluding warzone deaths)). It is obvious, if you watch Russian news, that there is no interest in presenting more than one side. But this also means that 'true' journalists face real risk if they pursue certain avenues of inquiry or if they show the 'wrong' stories. They don't all result in death. But losing one's job can be almost as bad. Or they can harass your family and make life difficult.

springrite

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 09, 2013, 07:08:07 PM
but it is hard to argue that the press in these countries is as open as the press in the US.

I never said that.

springrite

Feeding preconceived prejudices is...

Well, never mind.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: springrite on April 09, 2013, 07:29:46 PM
I never said that.
My apologies. You wrote (which I apparently took to mean something other than what you meant):
Quote from: springrite on April 09, 2013, 05:20:20 PM
Somehow most people in the west seem to think that they have freedom of the press and it is somehow different from places where there allegedly isn't.