Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Also of interest and I really like the Benjamin Symphony.
[asin]B009IQA17Y[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on December 21, 2017, 10:11:48 AM
Also of interest and I really like the Benjamin Symphony.
[asin]B009IQA17Y[/asin]

Coincidently, I ordered that a couple of days ago after reading a Gramophone survey of the Fourth by Andrew Achenbach:

There are three further offerings featuring the BBC SO, all very different from each other. The earliest, a broadcast from 1950, finds Sir John Barbirolli at his inspirationally committed and characterful best in an adrenaline-fuelled traversal that adds some five and a half minutes to Vaughan Williams's own account. The first two movements are hugely imposing in their gaunt implacability and very real sense of dread, yet the Scherzo has an invigorating spring in its step as well as a welcome dash of humour (I hear echoes of Satan's gleeful cavortings in Job). The finale, on the other hand, has never sounded more grimly sardonic than here, its cataclysmic closing bars smouldering with indignant rage.

Aschenbach's favorites:

The Top Choice
LPO / Bernard Haitink (Warner Classics)

Bernard Haitink allows Vaughan Williams's rivetingly cogent symphonic drama to unfold without artifice. There's no hidden agenda here – and absolutely no want of fire either! – just toweringly eloquent music-making, superlatively captured by the microphones. Drawing glorious playing from the LPO, the great Dutch maestro has given us a Fourth for the ages.

The Dark Horse 
Toronto SO / Peter Oundjian (TSO Live)

Peter Oundjian outshines many a more celebrated rival in this symphony. His is a consistently illuminating, pleasingly unforced conception, complemented by splendidly articulate and dedicated work from the Toronto band.

The Unnerving Choice
BBC SO / Sir John Barbirolli  (Barbirolli Society)

Barbirolli's remarkably spacious 1950 live performance lives more dangerously than any other in our survey. The bare-faced fury of the symphony's culmination has to be heard to be believed, its final hammer-blow a brutal, sickening thud.

The Historic Choice BBC SO / Ralph Vaughan Williams (Naxos)

The passing years have not dimmed the burning intensity and raw power of Vaughan Williams's own world premiere recording from 1937. Mark Obert-Thorn's transfer for Naxos is exemplary, and this deserves a place in every collection

As much as I love Haitink's VW cycle, Achenbach's Top pick was surprising.
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 21, 2017, 12:43:22 PM

Aschenbach's favorites:

The Top Choice
LPO / Bernard Haitink (Warner Classics)

Bernard Haitink allows Vaughan Williams's rivetingly cogent symphonic drama to unfold without artifice. There's no hidden agenda here – and absolutely no want of fire either! – just toweringly eloquent music-making, superlatively captured by the microphones. Drawing glorious playing from the LPO, the great Dutch maestro has given us a Fourth for the ages.

Huh...I had Haitink's 4th once upon on a time. I thought it was OK, but nowhere near displacing Berglund, Bernstein or Slatkin.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on December 21, 2017, 12:57:51 PM
Huh...I had Haitink's 4th once upon on a time. I thought it was OK, but nowhere near displacing Berglund, Bernstein or Slatkin.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. I listened to it recently and was not quite bowled over. A fine account, certainly, but not near the top of my favorites.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Berglund is my favourite and he is very good in No.6 as well - one of the few I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

I have this recording of 2+8 with Barbirolli:

Are they the same performances as those on the JBS issue ?

vandermolen

Quote from: André on December 21, 2017, 01:30:15 PM
I have this recording of 2+8 with Barbirolli:

Are they the same performances as those on the JBS issue ?

It is the same as 'A London Symphony' Andre. The JBS issued two CDs of him conducting Symphony 8. The classic 'first recording' which is your one but, more recently, they issued a CD of the 'first performance of Symphony 8 which is not the same as the Pye-Nixa/Mercury/Dutton release. All very confusing!

André

I see (said the blind man)... 8)

Thanks, Jeffrey !

Christo

To add to the confusion (and wishlists, but I own it already): there's also this recording from Lugano (April 11, !961) that some of us may know, too:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 21, 2017, 09:42:23 PM
To add to the confusion (and wishlists, but I own it already): there's also this recording from Lugano (April 11, !961) that some of us may know, too:

Not to mention the New York one that I posted above!
:)

Oates

Albion are due to release the first recording of Beyond My Dream: Music for Greek Plays in 2018

See link https://rvwsociety.com/Beyond-My-Dream/

Mirror Image

Tuba Concerto in F minor

Vaughan Williams wrote his Concerto for Bass Tuba in F minor for Philip Catelinet, the principal tuba player of the London Symphony Orchestra, on the occasion of the LSO's golden jubilee. It was given its premiere by Catelinet, with the LSO under the direction of Sir John Barbirolli, at London's Royal Festival Hall on June 13, 1954.

Vaughan Williams's professed aim was to "give a show" for the tuba, and that he certainly did, exploring the entirety of the bass tuba's range of expression. In size and form the work is not unlike one of Mozart's bigger horn concertos, with major cadenzas coming at the ends of both fast movements. The moods of the solo part vary from a kind of genial rumbustiousness, to an ardent lyricism, and considerable virtuosity is required of the soloist.

The Allegro moderato first movement is tuneful and has an easygoing gait. The central Romanza features a graceful, lovely tune of a folkish cast, on which the tuba rhapsodizes. The final movement is a jaunty and virtuosic Finale (marked Rondo alla tedesca). The Bass Tuba Concerto may not be one of Vaughan Williams' most substantial pieces, but he takes the instrument seriously and provides it an attractive showcase.

[Article taken from All Music Guide]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's break up the monotony (well, for me anyway) that is Barbirolli's RVW discography and discuss the Tuba Concerto. I picked this work to talk about because it's the only tuba concerto I know and that, within itself, is unique. Of course, the concerto is a fantastic little gem in RVW's oeuvre. Written late in life, it's still surprising, for me, to hear a composer whose inspiration never wavered and, if anything, continued to flourish up until the end. Of the two performances I know of this concerto, the Previn recording with tubist John Fletcher is the best one (the other performance in question is Thomson's on Chandos with tubist Patrick Harrlid). What do you guys think of the work? I know it's not on anyone's list of favorite RVW works (although I could very well be wrong), but it's a lovely, lyrical piece that I enjoy greatly.

Biffo

I am not sure how much mileage there is to be got from a discussion of the Tuba Concerto. RVW wisely kept it short but explores the instrument without resorting to silly noises. It is enjoyable but I can't say I have heard it very often. I have just listened to the dedicatee, Philip Catelinet with Barbirolli and the LSO; the only other version I own is Fletcher/Previn/LSO.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on December 22, 2017, 06:25:14 AM
I am not sure how much mileage there is to be got from a discussion of the Tuba Concerto. RVW wisely kept it short but explores the instrument without resorting to silly noises. It is enjoyable but I can't say I have heard it very often. I have just listened to the dedicatee, Philip Catelinet with Barbirolli and the LSO; the only other version I own is Fletcher/Previn/LSO.

Oh, I'm most certain that the Tuba Concerto won't lead to a deep, philosophical discussion as it's merely one of RVW's 'light' works. I just felt my post was needed to break up the ongoing Barbirolli RVW discography discussion, which, to be honest, wasn't interesting to me. It seems that there's a lot of discussion on GMG about the recordings themselves and less about the music and what it perhaps means or represents to the listener. This kind of discussion is much more intriguing than just talking about recordings or performances all the time.

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2017, 06:30:57 AM
Oh, I'm most certain that the Tuba Concerto won't lead to a deep, philosophical discussion as it's merely one of RVW's 'light' works. I just felt my post was needed to break up the ongoing Barbirolli RVW discography discussion, which, to be honest, wasn't interesting to me. It seems that there's a lot of discussion on GMG about the recordings themselves and less about the music and what it perhaps means or represents to the listener. This kind of discussion is much more intriguing than just talking about recordings or performances all the time.

I didn't want to mention it but when I did a search on Amazon I found a Barbirolli Society recording where the Tuba Concerto is coupled with the 8th Symphony.

vandermolen

I really like the Tuba Concerto - an underrated work. The slow movement is especially fine and stays with me. Even VW proselytisers like James Day in his fine biography of Vaughan Williams are negative about it ('the jokes fall flat'). I think he is wrong. The Tuba Concerto, like the diminutive and often dismissed Oboe Concerto ('off cuts of the 5th Symphony') and the 'Harmonica Romance' all deserve more attention IMHO. So, all credit to John for featuring it here. I think that the Previn/Fletcher version is the best. Sadly Fletcher, the tuba soloist, died quite young. I remember him being interviewed about it decades ago on TV.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fletcher_(tubist)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2017, 06:30:57 AM

Actually I find the slow movement quite 'deep' in its way. I've always enjoyed this work and loved the RCA coupling (Previn/LSO) of Symphony 5, the Tuba Concerto and film music 'Three Portraits from the England of Elizabeth'.

kyjo

It's been a while since I've heard the Tuba Concerto, but I remember it being a very nice work. As far as VW's concertos go, I really like the (Double) Piano Concerto, which is a particularly underrated work. It's Vaughan Williams at his most Prokofievian, with even shades of Rachmaninoff(!) in the beautiful slow movement. I only know the 2-piano version in the magisterial Vronsky/Babin/Boult recording.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on December 22, 2017, 10:50:27 AM
It's been a while since I've heard the Tuba Concerto, but I remember it being a very nice work. As far as VW's concertos go, I really like the (Double) Piano Concerto, which is a particularly underrated work. It's Vaughan Williams at his most Prokofievian, with even shades of Rachmaninoff(!) in the beautiful slow movement. I only know the 2-piano version in the magisterial Vronsky/Babin/Boult recording.

I agree Kyle that the double piano concerto is the finest of VW's concertos (pity he never completed the one for cello). I grew up with the Vronsky/Babin/Boult recording, so remain loyal to that one.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 22, 2017, 11:10:02 AM
I agree Kyle that the double piano concerto is the finest of VW's concertos (pity he never completed the one for cello). I grew up with the Vronsky/Babin/Boult recording, so remain loyal to that one.

Of course, I also deeply regret that VW never completed that cello concerto, but I am grateful to David Matthews for his beautiful realization of existing sketches of the slow movement, which he titled Dark Pastoral (great name). It's available on this very nice Dutton CD:

[asin]B0095Y0CLO[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff