Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2017, 04:37:29 PM
I seriously doubt that Hindemith was a influence.

That may well be but at least Michael Kennedy seems to hear a similarity between Hindemith and VW in the Scherzo:

"The Scherzo for winds has a pawky wit[...]The penguins from the Antarctic have taken a course with Hindemith, or so it might seem until the gentle mockery of a folk-song inflection betrays the true composer."

I mean RVW wasn't exactly smitten with the Germans the best to my memory. I seem to recall he had some negative things to say about Mahler.

True enough about Mahler but he did love Wagner.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 23, 2017, 05:05:32 AM
That may well be but at least Michael Kennedy seems to hear a similarity between Hindemith and VW in the Scherzo:

"The Scherzo for winds has a pawky wit[...]The penguins from the Antarctic have taken a course with Hindemith, or so it might seem until the gentle mockery of a folk-song inflection betrays the true composer."

True enough about Mahler but he did love Wagner.

Sarge

Thanks, Sarge. 8)

Mahlerian

I seriously doubt that Hindemith was a influence. I mean RVW wasn't exactly smitten with the Germans the best to my memory. I seem to recall he had some negative things to say about Mahler.

"A tolerable imitation of a composer," if I recall correctly.

He also said, about Schoenberg, "He didn't mean anything to me, but he seemed to mean a lot to others," or something.

I don't hold those things against him either, though.  Here is my ranking of the symphonies, in line with everyone else here...

3, 5, 6, 8, 4, 9, 2, 7, 1

I haven't heard the original version of the London Symphony, though, so that work's position could improve with familiarity.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mahlerian on November 23, 2017, 06:08:43 AM
"A tolerable imitation of a composer," if I recall correctly.

He also said, about Schoenberg, "He didn't mean anything to me, but he seemed to mean a lot to others," or something.

I don't hold those things against him either, though.  Here is my ranking of the symphonies, in line with everyone else here...

3, 5, 6, 8, 4, 9, 2, 7, 1

I haven't heard the original version of the London Symphony, though, so that work's position could improve with familiarity.

Thanks, Mahlerian. Nice ranking! Looks similar to my own.

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2017, 03:52:47 PM
I know I said I wasn't going to buy this but the teaser trailer on YouTube had me grinning from ear-to-ear:

It's all Jeffrey's fault! There! I'll just blame him. It's much easier that way. :P ;D

Let me say I think the people who believe this notion of Vaughan Williams as this folk-collecting, whimsical elf who danced about in the English countryside would do well to actually listen to his music, especially a work like the Sancta Civitas or the Partita for Double String Orchestra (just to throw out some seldom mentioned examples). Nothing rosy about this music at all.

The teaser from Hyperion:

https://www.youtube.com/v/RSds6-zrpxM

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2017, 03:54:09 PM
Let me say I think the people who believe this notion of Vaughan Williams as this folk-collecting, whimsical elf who danced about in the English countryside would do well to actually listen to his music, especially a work like the Sancta Civitas or the Partita for Double String Orchestra (just to throw out some seldom mentioned examples). Nothing rosy about this music at all.

Hear hear! Or what about listerning to symphonies 6, 7, 8, 9? Or even 4?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2017, 03:54:09 PM
Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

It's all Jeffrey's fault! There! I'll just blame him. It's much easier that way. :P ;D

The teaser from Hyperion:

https://www.youtube.com/v/RSds6-zrpxM

Haha  :) ('Jeffrey's fault' - I'm quite used to hearing that view expressed at home  8))

Just read a very good review of Thomson's recording of VW's 8th Symphony, stating, in a comparative survey, that it was the best version available - must give it another listen to.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on December 04, 2017, 10:06:16 PM
Hear hear! Or what about listerning to symphonies 6, 7, 8, 9? Or even 4?

Those would certainly dismantle the 'teddy bear' imagery. :)

Quote from: vandermolen on December 05, 2017, 12:44:30 AM
Haha  :) ('Jeffrey's fault' - I'm quite used to hearing that view expressed at home  8))

Just read a very good review of Thomson's recording of VW's 8th Symphony, stating, in a comparative survey, that it was the best version available - must give it another listen to.

:P

Thomson's cycle, in general, is very good and it used to be my go-to cycle until I heard the Previn in remastered audio and then Thomson sounded quite tame by comparison. Thomson is an excellent conductor of course, but Previn's got more fire in his bite.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2017, 05:27:28 AM
Those would certainly dismantle the 'teddy bear' imagery. :)

:P

Thomson's cycle, in general, is very good and it used to be my go-to cycle until I heard the Previn in remastered audio and then Thomson sounded quite tame by comparison. Thomson is an excellent conductor of course, but Previn's got more fire in his bite.

You should hear my remastering of Previn's No. 9.  It's intense!  I think his tempi are the best of this work allowing the long last movement to have a slow burn with a cumulative wallop at those ending E major chords.

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on December 05, 2017, 07:21:28 AM
You should hear my remastering of Previn's No. 9.  It's intense!  I think his tempi are the best of this work allowing the long last movement to have a slow burn with a cumulative wallop at those ending E major chords.

Your remastering? You have access to the original source tapes? Yep, Previn's whole cycle is one of my favorites (along with Boult's EMI cycle).

Mirror Image

Even thought it's a miniature, which usually are viewed as unsubstantial, I absolutely adore the Two Hymn-Tune Preludes. Does anyone else know this beautiful little gem?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 06, 2017, 06:11:09 AM
I hear them all the time  8)

According to the list of RVW's oeuvre on the RVW Society's website, this is the information we have about it:

Two Hymn-Tune Preludes
For small orchestra.
Based on 'Eventide' (W. H. Monk) and 'Dominus regit me' (J. B. Dykes)

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2017, 07:31:13 AM
Your remastering? You have access to the original source tapes? Yep, Previn's whole cycle is one of my favorites (along with Boult's EMI cycle).
No, I am using the CD which is the highest resolution I have available but it can be improved upon through EQ (some ambient hiss removal plus punchier, tighter bass, slight reduction in mid levels), brightness, balance, stereo separation, etc. 

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2017, 06:16:35 AM
According to the list of RVW's oeuvre on the RVW Society's website, this is the information we have about it:

Two Hymn-Tune Preludes
For small orchestra.
Based on 'Eventide' (W. H. Monk) and 'Dominus regit me' (J. B. Dykes)

Ah, those I have not heard at all.  What I thought you meant were the Three Preludes on Welsh Hymn Tunes, e.g.:

http://www.youtube.com/v/auJz2LmD-9k
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 06, 2017, 06:45:40 AM
Ah, those I have not heard at all.  What I thought you meant were the Three Preludes on Welsh Hymn Tunes, e.g.:

http://www.youtube.com/v/auJz2LmD-9k

Ah, okay. Well, that's a great piece, too! 8)

Here's Two Hymn-Tune Preludes:

https://www.youtube.com/v/iEEv-icGdKk

https://www.youtube.com/v/b6leFCOxSdc

Karl Henning

The Welsh Hymn Tune Preludes have been a staple of parish organists forever, and justly so.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 06, 2017, 06:56:59 AM
The Welsh Hymn Tune Preludes have been a staple of parish organists forever, and justly so.

I'm sure I've heard it played by an organist before, especially during my youth as I would attend church every Sunday. Of course, back then, I had no clue as who Vaughan Williams was.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2017, 06:59:05 AM
I'm sure I've heard it played by an organist before, especially during my youth as I would attend church every Sunday. Of course, back then, I had no clue as who Vaughan Williams was.
I had 'Rhosymedre' (the second of the Welsh Hymn Tune Preludes) played on the organ when I got married. I had to have some VW performed.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2017, 01:56:16 PMI had 'Rhosymedre' (the second of the Welsh Hymn Tune Preludes) played on the organ when I got married. I had to have some VW performed.  :)
Exactly the same here: Rhosymedre, at the Garrels/Meere organ of the St. Jacob's Church ("Jacobi') in Utrecht, when I got married, in 2003. (I think we shared this wonderful coincidence before?)  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948