Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Have been listening to Berglund's Bournemouth SO version of Symphony 6. One of the (very) few to get it right IMHO. A wonderfully gripping performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2018, 12:32:23 PM
Have been listening to Berglund's Bournemouth SO version of Symphony 6. One of the (very) few to get it right IMHO. A wonderfully gripping performance.

Added to my Tidal queue. 

https://tidal.com/album/2954137

My current favorite is Boult/EMI.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on January 07, 2018, 03:33:31 PM
Added to my Tidal queue. 

https://tidal.com/album/2954137

My current favorite is Boult/EMI.

That double album is excellent as Berglund's version of Symphony 4 was the top choice on BBC 'Building a Library'. I like Gibson's more controversial No.5 and Silvestri's Tallis Fantasia from Winchester Cathedral is one of the most atmospheric. I listened to Berglund's No.6 from the CD in the Berglund boxed set where it is coupled with Bliss's 'Miracle in the Gorbals' - a great disc as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

If you like or want to discover VW's chamber music or songs you should enjoy this - a lovely compilation with some interesting arrangements:
[asin]B077BLVFWH[/asin]
I played the whole disc through and then had to repeat the experience.
:)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2018, 06:11:07 AM
If you like or want to discover VW's chamber music or songs you should enjoy this - a lovely compilation with some interesting arrangements:
[asin]B077BLVFWH[/asin]
I played the whole disc through and then had to repeat the experience.

I made this post back in early December:

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 11, 2017, 12:56:31 PM
Coming in January:

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2010969

After I made the post, I thought well that seemed like it was 'for nothing', but glad you picked up the recording, Jeffrey, and, apparently enjoy it. I probably will, too, as I don't own any performances of Songs Of Travel.

Karl Henning

Is any post on GMG truly 'for nothing'?  8)  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2018, 06:16:51 AM
I made this post back in early December:

After I made the post, I thought well that seemed like it was 'for nothing', but glad you picked up the recording, Jeffrey, and, apparently enjoy it. I probably will, too, as I don't own any performances of Songs Of Travel.
Sorry I didn't respond at the time John but thank you for alerting me to it. The darkly moving 'Romance' of uncertain date for Viola and Piano was definitely a highlight for me. I like the Songs of Travel very much. They were later orchestrated (not by VW) but this is as good a performance of the original version than you are likely to find. Altogether a lovely disc - ideal late-night listening I think. The gentle Orpheus and his Lute is one of my favourite VW songs.

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2018, 06:26:07 AM
Sorry I didn't respond at the time John but thank you for alerting me to it. The darkly moving 'Romance' of uncertain date for Viola and Piano was definitely a highlight for me. I like the Songs of Travel very much. They were later orchestrated (not by VW) but this is as good a performance of the original version than you are likely to find. Altogether a lovely disc - ideal late-night listening I think. The gentle Orpheus and his Lute is one of my favourite VW songs.

No worries, Jeffrey. 8) Yes, the Romance for viola & piano is a beautiful work. I've got two performances of it --- one on ECM (w/ Kashkashian/Levin) and on Hyperion (The Nash Ensemble). For me, the Nash's performance is my favorite of the two.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2018, 06:32:31 AM
No worries, Jeffrey. 8) Yes, the Romance for viola & piano is a beautiful work. I've got two performances of it --- one on ECM (w/ Kashkashian/Levin) and on Hyperion (The Nash Ensemble). For me, the Nash's performance is my favorite of the two.

Ah yes, I knew I'd heard it before and I also have that fine Nash version John.

Oates

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2018, 07:08:13 AM
Ah yes, I knew I'd heard it before and I also have that fine Nash version John.

There is also a version of the Viola Romance for full orchestra by Stephen Bell on Dutton that I can recommend as well:

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7216

vandermolen

Quote from: Oates on January 09, 2018, 08:20:48 AM
There is also a version of the Viola Romance for full orchestra by Stephen Bell on Dutton that I can recommend as well:

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7216
Thank you! And I have that recording, purchased for the fine Stanley Bate work. So, must listen to the VW.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2018, 01:26:26 PMSo, must listen to the VW.
You must WHAT??!!??
Immediately, how DARE you neglect such a fine piece for so long.  8)  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 09, 2018, 02:37:48 PM
You must WHAT??!!??
Immediately, how DARE you neglect such a fine piece for so long.  8)  :D
Keep calm  ;)

I must have heard it when I originally bought the CD but I think that I was very much focused on the Stanley Bate (my first encounter with his music).

So, let me rephrase that:

'So, must listen to the VW AGAIN'.

Hope that clarifies the situation.

I need a drink.

8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 22, 2017, 10:37:03 PM
Also try it in its version for cello and orchestra, here by Julian Lloyd Webber:
https://www.youtube.com/v/Luk9Nd-Du-U
I have listened a lot to this work since Johan kindly posted it. The booklet notes for the (very enjoyable) CD state that VW made the arrangement for cello of the 'Romanza' from his Tuba Concerto himself. The CD has been a nice discovery, one of the few that my wife enjoys as well. Other highlights are the 'Invocation' by Holst and Percy Grainger's 'Youthful Rapture' although I enjoyed the whole CD. My cheap second-hand copy was signed by the cellist - so, thank you Johan!

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 10, 2018, 12:10:53 AMMy cheap second-hand copy was signed by the cellist - so, thank you Johan!
Since when is Lloyd Webber only signing cheap second-hand copies?  ;) Many thanks, 'discovered' this CD myself only two years ago & enjoyed it very much too. We'll toast on it in a pub in Sussex, coming May.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 10, 2018, 12:26:36 AM
Since when is Lloyd Webber only signing cheap second-hand copies?  ;) Many thanks, 'discovered' this CD myself only two years ago & enjoyed it very much too. We'll toast on it in a pub in Sussex, coming May.  8)

I think he signed the original as it is inscribed 'To Ernie...'  8)

That Cyril Scott work at the end of the CD with the bagpipe imitation 'reel' is a hoot!

Yes, looking forward to May.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on January 10, 2018, 02:25:36 AM
I think he signed the original as it is inscribed 'To Ernie...'  8)

How strange that he thought your name was Ernie!

(j/k)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 10, 2018, 03:38:36 AM
How strange that he thought your name was Ernie!

(j/k)

I need another drink now...

8)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Hooray, Grant Park Festival just published its schedule, we're getting VW #4 this year:

http://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com/2018season/prokofievwilliams
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach