Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2018, 07:01:51 AM
A powerful performance and certainly one of my favorites. I think Bernstein really understood this symphony --- a shame he never tackled the sixth.

Totally agree with this. I'd have loved to hear Bernstein in No.6.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

What is your favorite recorded performance of Serenade to Music?  Who best perfectly captured the essence of the music?

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on May 11, 2018, 04:51:50 PM
What is your favorite recorded performance of Serenade to Music?  Who best perfectly captured the essence of the music?

I'm not sure about 'perfectly captures the essence of the music' but I've always found that Boult's on EMI and Matthew Best's on Hyperion do a remarkable job conveying the gorgeous lyricism of the piece.

[asin]B000002S2R[/asin]

[asin]B003XWFLUG[/asin]

vandermolen

I think I'm one of the very few admirers of VW (maybe the only one actually) who does not like the 'Serenade to Music'  :o ???
I played it again a couple of days ago as it is on the Bernstein CD with Symphony 4 etc.

I actually enjoyed it more than before, especially the opening but as soon as the singing started my attitude changed. I find it all rather twee and self-congratulatory in a way which is uncharacteristic of the composer.

Actually my VW admiring former colleague also agrees with me and made the 'self-congratulatory' point. No one else will agree I'm sure.

Maybe the problem is that I first came across the work (in the Boult EMI LP set of the symphonies, in the version above posted by John) when I was about 17 and had no real interests or understanding of vocal music. This was probably why for decades I didn't appreciate 'A Sea Symphony' which I now have a very high opinion of. Maybe one day I'll appreciate the 'Serenade to Music'.

For the moment my favourite versions are the orchestral only ones  :o
[asin]B00000IYN1[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2018, 06:42:02 PM
I'm not sure about 'perfectly captures the essence of the music' but I've always found that Boult's on EMI and Matthew Best's on Hyperion do a remarkable job conveying the gorgeous lyricism of the piece.

[asin]B000002S2R[/asin]

[asin]B003XWFLUG[/asin]

My favourites also.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 11, 2018, 10:48:21 PM
I think I'm one of the very few admirers of VW (maybe the only one actually) who does not like the 'Serenade to Music'  :o ???
I played it again a couple of days ago as it is on the Bernstein CD with Symphony 4 etc.

I actually enjoyed it more than before, especially the opening but as soon as the singing started my attitude changed. I find it all rather twee and self-congratulatory in a way which is uncharacteristic of the composer.

Actually my VW admiring former colleague also agrees with me and made the 'self-congratulatory' point. No one else will agree I'm sure.

Maybe the problem is that I first came across the work (in the Boult EMI LP set of the symphonies, in the version above posted by John) when I was about 17 and had no real interests or understanding of vocal music. This was probably why for decades I didn't appreciate 'A Sea Symphony' which I now have a very high opinion of. Maybe one day I'll appreciate the 'Serenade to Music'.

[asin]B00000IYN1[/asin]

I'm not a huge fan of the work either, so you're not alone. I think Vaughan Williams' vocal writing in general is excellent, but my favorite works of his with vocals are Five Mystical Songs, Mass in G minor, Flos campi (!!!), Sancta Civitas, and Dona nobis pacem. Of course, I love the vocalizing in the last movement of A Pastoral Symphony as well. I never have appreciated A Sea Symphony and I don't believe I ever will as it seems, for me, to not capture the composer at his best. I don't hear that kind of individuality I hear in A London Symphony, which, despite its warts, is one of the finest English symphonies for its' time.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2018, 06:11:17 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the work either, so you're not alone. I think Vaughan Williams' vocal writing in general is excellent, but my favorite works of his with vocals are Five Mystical Songs, Mass in G minor, Flos campi (!!!), Sancta Civitas, and Dona nobis pacem. Of course, I love the vocalizing in the last movement of A Pastoral Symphony as well. I never have appreciated A Sea Symphony and I don't believe I ever will as it seems, for me, to not capture the composer at his best. I don't hear that kind of individuality I hear in A London Symphony, which, despite its warts, is one of the finest English symphonies for its' time.
Interesting. I agree with your preferred VW vocal/choral works to which I'd add the late poetic work 'Epithalamion' which makes wonderful late-night listening. As for A Sea Symphony it was the last movement, in the Haitink version which changed my view of the work although I agree that it is not fully characteristic. I think that his greatest work of all might be the 'Pilgrim's Progress'. I was very lucky to see 'Riders to the Sea' in concert recently - a great experience, especially as the same concert featured Walton's music for Henry V with narrator.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 13, 2018, 05:08:13 AM
Interesting. I agree with your preferred VW vocal/choral works to which I'd add the late poetic work 'Epithalamion' which makes wonderful late-night listening. As for A Sea Symphony it was the last movement, in the Haitink version which changed my view of the work although I agree that it is not fully characteristic. I think that his greatest work of all might be the 'Pilgrim's Progress'. I was very lucky to see 'Riders to the Sea' in concert recently - a great experience, especially as the same concert featured Walton's music for Henry V with narrator.

Walton is still one of those composers I just don't get on well with. I know you're an admirer of his music, but it seems that the only work I've heard from him that has affected me is his Violin Concerto, which I know you're not crazy about.

Riders of the Sea is a work I need to acquaint myself with. I know it's a short opera, but I recall RVW not being at his best in the operatic field. There are some gorgeous parts of The Pilgrim's Progress, but I've never come away from any of RVW's operas (Sir John in Love, The Poisoned Kiss, etc.) with a better appreciation for the composer. I think he's at his best in orchestral, choral, and chamber music. I wish he had composed more piano music, but I know that he wasn't a gifted pianist or he just didn't have much of an affinity for the instrument in general like other composers.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2018, 06:05:16 AM
Walton is still one of those composers I just don't get on well with. I know you're an admirer of his music, but it seems that the only work I've heard from him that has affected me is his Violin Concerto, which I know you're not crazy about.

Riders of the Sea is a work I need to acquaint myself with. I know it's a short opera, but I recall RVW not being at his best in the operatic field. There are some gorgeous parts of The Pilgrim's Progress, but I've never come away from any of RVW's operas (Sir John in Love, The Poisoned Kiss, etc.) with a better appreciation for the composer. I think he's at his best in orchestral, choral, and chamber music. I wish he had composed more piano music, but I know that he wasn't a gifted pianist or he just didn't have much of an affinity for the instrument in general like other composers.
I think that Riders to the Sea and Pilgrim's Progress are in a different league to Sir John in Love, The Poisoned Kiss or Hugh the Drover which have too much of 'Merrie England' and 'Ye Olde English Tea Shoppe' about them for my taste.  :P
Also John, Riders to the Sea is not really a conventional opera in any sense - it inhabits, in some respects, the dark world of Symphony 6. As you know I'm not an opera fan at all but I really think that Riders to the Sea and PP are great works.

As for Walton it's the Viola Concerto, Henry V and Symphony No.1 which I rate very highly.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 13, 2018, 06:34:45 AM
I think that Riders to the Sea and Pilgrim's Progress are in a different league to Sir John in Love, The Poisoned Kiss or Hugh the Drover which have too much of 'Merrie England' and 'Ye Olde English Tea Shoppe' about them for my taste.  :P
Also John, Riders to the Sea is not really a conventional opera in any sense - it inhabits, in some respects, the dark world of Symphony 6. As you know I'm not an opera fan at all but I really think that Riders to the Sea and PP are great works.

As for Walton it's the Viola Concerto, Henry V and Symphony No.1 which I rate very highly.

You have me intrigued about Riders to the Sea, Jeffrey. I must revisit it. The comment 'it inhabits, in some respects, the dark world of Symphony No. 6' is what has piqued my curiosity. Thanks for the feedback.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2018, 07:11:07 AM
You have me intrigued about Riders to the Sea, Jeffrey. I must revisit it. The comment 'it inhabits, in some respects, the dark world of Symphony No. 6' is what has piqued my curiosity. Thanks for the feedback.
Always a pleasure John.
:)

kyjo

I recently performed On Wenlock Edge (on cello) - what an extraordinary and haunting work! VW's sense of harmony, atmosphere, and word-setting is nothing short of spell-binding. As in many of VW's finest works, there is a compelling synthesis of 'pastoral', modal beauty and dark, anguished chromaticism. I haven't paid much attention to VW's non-orchestral works until recently, and I'm starting to realize that his chamber and vocal output contains as much fine music as his orchestral output does.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 13, 2018, 07:22:22 PM
I recently performed On Wenlock Edge (on cello) - what an extraordinary and haunting work! VW's sense of harmony, atmosphere, and word-setting is nothing short of spell-binding. As in many of VW's finest works, there is a compelling synthesis of 'pastoral', modal beauty and dark, anguished chromaticism. I haven't paid much attention to VW's non-orchestral works until recently, and I'm starting to realize that his chamber and vocal output contains as much fine music as his orchestral output does.
How wonderful Kyle that you performed On Wenlock Edge!
It's a great work. I also like Songs of Travel, especially in its orchestrated version.  I agree about his chamber work. The late, craggy, Violin Sonata is one of my favourites as well as the two string quartets.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on May 13, 2018, 06:34:45 AM

Add the Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto, Symphony No.2, Belshazzar's Feast, Facade, Partita for Orchestra and Spitfire Prelude and Fugue and you have my list.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on May 11, 2018, 10:48:21 PM

[asin]B00000IYN1[/asin]
I'm not keen on it (the Serenade) either. I remember saying I liked it here,because I thought everyone one else thought it was sublime,glorious and beyond criticism (the best thing since sliced bread?! ;D) etc!! A bit like posting on the Amazon website,below one of the dvds on offer (in customer reviews) that you think Dr Who or Star Trek,are ridiculously overrated juvenalia! (Naturally,I don't!! ??? ;D) Talk about yellow!! ::) :-[  I even made a cd-r of the Dutton cd of Henry Wood conducting VW,without the Serenade,after vandermolen decided he couldn't contain himself any longer,and revealed (shock horror!) that he didn't (gulp! ::)) like it!!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2018, 07:11:07 AM

Think of it less as an opera, and more as an intense stage play.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 14, 2018, 04:51:57 AM
Think of it less as an opera, and more as an intense stage play.

Will do, Karl. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 14, 2018, 04:19:49 AM
Add the Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto, Symphony No.2, Belshazzar's Feast, Facade, Partita for Orchestra and Spitfire Prelude and Fugue and you have my list.

Sarge

OT

Actually I like all those works although I much prefer the Viola Concerto to the better known Violin Concerto. The film music for 'As You Like It' and Hamlet is another favourite. Yes, I often listen to Symphony 2 and increasingly admire it, especially in the George Szell recording.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 14, 2018, 04:23:26 AM
I'm not keen on it (the Serenade) either. I remember saying I liked it here,because I thought everyone one else thought it was sublime,glorious and beyond criticism (the best thing since sliced bread?! ;D) etc!! A bit like posting on the Amazon website,below one of the dvds on offer (in customer reviews) that you think Dr Who or Star Trek,are ridiculously overrated juvenalia! (Naturally,I don't!! ??? ;D) Talk about yellow!! ::) :-[  I even made a cd-r of the Dutton cd of Henry Wood conducting VW,without the Serenade,after vandermolen decided he couldn't contain himself any longer,and revealed (shock horror!) that he didn't (gulp! ::)) like it!!!
Haha - I'm delighted cilgwyn that you've finally come 'out of the closet' in relation to 'Serenade to Music'.

A very popular TV show which I can't stand (my students loved it) is the smug and knowing 'Sherlock' with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

Bring back Basil Rathbone  8)

cilgwyn

;D Yes,I'm a bit of a fan of that old Basil Rathbone film series (You amaze me Holmes! ;D). (I've got the boxed set!!) If I have to watch a 60's US sci-fi show I'd rather watch The Invaders or the old b & w Twilight Zone,for that matter. When it comes to sci-fi,it's mainly the 50's for me!! Benedict Cumberbotch,though?!! I'm not a fan of the old  Granada series;but at least Jeremy Brett did look the part!

Regarding the operas. They do have some lovely music in them which stops me from taking them to the charity shop! I prefer VW to Britten;but there's no doubt,in my mind,that Britten has a feel for drama that is lacking in the former's efforts. On the plus side;VW has more warmth. I can see (hear) why they have fallen by the wayside. The Pilgrims Progress,I do like;in all it's various incarnations. The recording released by Albion of the old radio broadcast was a particularly wonderful,and unexpected,addition to my collection. I remember wishing someone would release it on cd,when I read the notes accompanying the Hyperion cd (with Gielgud). I also recall thinking,dolefully,that it was probably unlikely! Fortunately,I was proved wrong! And sooner than I expected!!