Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Berglund conducted the Boston Symphony in the RVW Sixth some few seasons ago, and it was a singularly sublime experience.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 24, 2018, 02:43:28 AM
So do I (prefer the Fourth to the Sixth).

I just had to buy Previn's recording of VW's Symphonies 3 & 4,last week,after reading through the lists of favourite recordings. I have heard the recordings before,mind;via the library (years ago) and I think I had a copy? Listening to it ,now,I can hear why the recording of the third is so highly rated. Heather Harper's solo is truly sublime. Time really seems to stand still,for a few moments. I think it might just be the loveliest ever (in a commercially release recording).

I've got more s/h cd sets in the post!!

The emi 2cd set of Barbirolli conducting the Sinfonia Antartica (and some other works,including,Elgar) I haven't heard his recording of the symphony!!
The emi 2cd set of Barbirolli conducting Delius (I have heard most of these recordings on Lp or cassette,in the past)
The emi 2cd set of Berglund conducting VW (and Gibson conducting No 5,I think?) Never heard any of these,as far as I know?!!
The emi cd of Barbirolli's 1954 mono recording of Elgar's Symphony No 2,which some people seem to prefer to his stereo recording (Cockaigne Ov & Dream Children,included). I like old mono recordings,so.....!!! :)
What an interesting collection. Don't know them all but Berglund's VW Symphony 4 was BBC Radio's 3's top choice in 'Building a Library'. Berglund's Sibelian VW Symphony 6 is one of the few, in my opinion, successful recordings of a work which seems to elude many conductors. Gibson's Symphony 5 has had more mixed reviews but I rate it very highly as well. Pity about all those wasps on the cover image - I'd have much preferred a lowering landscape with approaching storm. The Barbirolli VW is great too. He premiered the Antartica and his Oboe and Tuba Concerto are better than more modern recordings, although the late John Fletcher with Previn is excellent in the Tuba Concerto as well. I agree that Previn's recording of 'A Pastoral Symphony' is in a class of its own. Also his recording of the 1936 version of A London Symphony and Symphony No.8 are my favourites as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 24, 2018, 05:33:30 AM
Berglund conducted the Boston Symphony in the RVW Sixth some few seasons ago, and it was a singularly sublime experience.
Did you get to hear it live Karl?
Sounds like a terrific concert.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Live in the hall, it was a beauty.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

cilgwyn

Lucky man! :)

I forgot one. I also bought the 2 cd emi set of Elgar conducting his suites,and some other music.
A pity the Wasps Overture is on that VW/Berglund cd,but I think I'll live. I actually,didn't realise what was on the front of that cd set,until after I bought it!!! A strange choice,really. Anyone would think the Wasps Overture was the main item!
No offence intended to hard working wasps,intended!! ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 24, 2018, 09:25:47 AM
Lucky man! :)

I forgot one. I also bought the 2 cd emi set of Elgar conducting his suites,and some other music.
A pity the Wasps Overture is on that VW/Berglund cd,but I think I'll live. I actually,didn't realise what was on the front of that cd set,until after I bought it!!! A strange choice,really. Anyone would think the Wasps Overture was the main item!
No offence intended to hard working wasps,intended!! ;D

Well, at least there's a nice photo of VW in the set!

cilgwyn

I like wasps! Just not the Overture.........much!! ::) :)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 25, 2018, 04:24:20 AM

No, it's  one of the few VW works which I don't like much.

Biffo

I don't like wasps. The overture was one of the first RVW work I got to know. Less keen on the Aristophanic Suite. Find the complete work with narrative tedious.

Oates

Just to remind Vaughan Williams fans here that the BBC Prom tonight (27th July) on BBC Four TV and Radio 3 includes the Pastoral Symphony. The progamme also includes The Lark Ascending, but that's more common at the proms.

In fact, a very interesting line up I think:

Hubert Parry - Symphony No. 5 in B minor (27 mins)
Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending (15 mins)
INTERVAL
Hubert Parry - Hear my words, ye people (15 mins)
Gustav Holst - Ode to Death (12 mins)
Ralph Vaughan Williams- Pastoral Symphony (No. 3) (35 mins)

vandermolen

Quote from: Oates on July 27, 2018, 12:12:18 AM
Just to remind Vaughan Williams fans here that the BBC Prom tonight (27th July) on BBC Four TV and Radio 3 includes the Pastoral Symphony. The progamme also includes The Lark Ascending, but that's more common at the proms.

INTERVAL
A great programme - also for the Parry and Holst.
Parry's 5th Symphony is his greatest symphony I think.
A bit of a 'family affair' as Parry was the teacher of Vaughan Williams and Holst and VW and Holst were close friends.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 25, 2018, 04:24:20 AM

Quote from: vandermolen on July 25, 2018, 08:44:59 AM
No, it's  one of the few VW works which I don't like much.

I like The Wasps Overture...muchly ;D  I love especially the big central "Elgarian" tune.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 27, 2018, 03:08:11 AM
I like The Wasps Overture...muchly ;D  I love especially the big central "Elgarian" tune.

Sarge

Good to hear Sarge.

Keep on buzzing.

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Oates on July 27, 2018, 12:12:18 AM

INTERVAL

Hmmm . . . not sure I have heard the Holst . . . and the title suggests a Whitman setting?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Biffo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 27, 2018, 06:24:44 AM
Hmmm . . . not sure I have heard the Holst . . . and the title suggests a Whitman setting?

It is indeed Whitman, a setting of 'When lilacs last in the Dooryard Bloom'd'. Written in 1919 it was prompted by the terrible loss of life in WW1. I have a recording of it by Richard Hickox (Chandos). I haven't heard it for some time and can't remember much about it but am refraining from playing it as I hope to listen to the Prom on iPlayer.

vandermolen

Holst has been the 'victim' of the popularity of The Planets Suite - he wrote so much more of interest and is one of my favourite composers. The early Cloud Messenger has a magical proto-minimalist section and I love the Perfect Fool ballet music, the Choral Symphony, Egdon Heath and much else besides. Unlike Vaughan Williams, his great friend, he was not independently wealthy and had to work as a school teacher ( oh, the Horror!  8))!so could only compose in the school holiday.

J.Z. Herrenberg

'Ode to Death' is a great piece!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on July 27, 2018, 09:42:13 AM
Holst has been the 'victim' of the popularity of The Planets Suite - he wrote so much more of interest and is one of my favourite composers. The early Cloud Messenger has a magical proto-minimalist section and I love the Perfect Fool ballet music, the Choral Symphony, Egdon Heath and much else besides. Unlike Vaughan Williams, his great friend, he was not independently wealthy and had to work as a school teacher ( oh, the Horror!  8))!so could only compose in the school holiday.

Well, and I know an excellent English composer whose creative work is curtailed partly by his working as a school teacher!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 27, 2018, 10:12:04 AM
Well, and I know an excellent English composer whose creative work is curtailed partly by his working as a school teacher!
Hey, so do I..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA