Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draško

Quote from: vandermolen on August 08, 2018, 04:51:43 AM
Good as they are (Elder's 'A Pastoral Symphony' for example)

Elder's Pastoral is absolutely superb. My favorite recording of the piece, by wide margin.

Biffo

Quote from: relm1 on August 08, 2018, 06:04:53 AM
Remind me why Elder's 4 & 6 was bad.   Was it sleepy?

Lacklustre is how I would describe No 4. No 6 was better but still a disappointment, particularly after the high standard of the earlier releases.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 08, 2018, 06:44:34 AM
Lacklustre is how I would describe No 4. No 6 was better but still a disappointment, particularly after the high standard of the earlier releases.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Currently Record Review on BBC Radio 3 has a feature where a guest reviewer chooses five 'essential' works by a composer whose works are being played in the Proms season. Today the composer was RVW and the reviewer Mark Lowther. He stressed that it was a personal choice and described the Tuba Concerto as 'a wild card'. Here are his choices -

(1) Songs of Travel - Bryn Terfel (from 'The Vagabond')
(2) A Sea Symphony - Haitink/LPO
(3) Fifth Symphony - Barbirolli/Philharmonia
(4) Tuba Concerto - Fletcher/LSO/Previn (a wild card)
(5) Tallis Fantasia - Silvestri/Bournemouth SO

Anyone have any thoughts?

I find it difficult to choose five essential symphonies let alone from the entire output but here goes. I haven't chosen any songs or chamber music as, though I have various recordings, they are less essential to me and, after much agonising, included only one symphony.

(1) Tallis Fantasia - Barbirolli/Sinfonia of London
(2) Pastoral Symphony - Previn/LSO
(3) Job - Boult/LPO
(4) Dona nobis pacem - Boult/LPO
(5) The Pilgrim's Progress - Hickox/ Orchestra of the ROH etc

Numerous personal favourites have been sacrificed to fit the format.

Christo

Quote from: Biffo on August 11, 2018, 02:46:12 AM
Without checking anything specifically (I might forget a few recordings), five personal favourites would be:

1. Tallis Fantasia - Barbirolli
2. A Pastoral Symphony - Elder/Halle
3. Sixth Symphony - Thomson/LSO
4. Dona nobis pacem - Boult/LPO
5. Three Portraits from The England of Elizabeth - Previn (wild card)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Off the top of my head:

Symphony 6 (Boult, LPO Decca with VW speech at end)
A London Symphony 1913 (Hickox)
Pilgrim's Progress (Hickox)
Double Piano Concerto (Boult/Vronsky/Babin)

Wild card:

Fantasia on the Old 104th (Boult's is the only recording I think)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Draško

- Tallis Fantasia (Barbirolli, Marriner)
- Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus (Willcocks)
- A Pastoral Symphony (Elder)
- A London Symphony (1913 Hickox)
- Oboe Concerto (Bourge/Boughton)
- Symphony No.5 (Previn II)

vandermolen

Quote from: Draško on August 11, 2018, 04:20:43 AM
- Tallis Fantasia (Barbirolli, Marriner)
- Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus (Willcocks)
- A Pastoral Symphony (Elder)
- A London Symphony (1913 Hickox)
- Oboe Concerto (Bourge/Boughton)
- Symphony No.5 (Previn II)

Your the first to mention the Five Variants on Dives and Lazarus which I listen to more often than the Tallis Fantasia. My favourite recording is the one by Barbirolli which I first discovered on a fine old EMI LP taken out of a record library in my youth. Its couplings were the Oboe Concerto and Rubbra's 5th Symphony. It was my introduction to three marvellous works.

I think I should have included Dona Nobis Pacem in my list, which I'm seeing in concert tomorrow. Boult's would be my preferred choice.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 11, 2018, 09:25:20 AM
Your the first to mention the Five Variants on Dives and Lazarus which I listen to more often than the Tallis Fantasia. My favourite recording is the one by Barbirolli which I first discovered on a fine old EMI LP taken out of a record library in my youth. Its couplings were the Oboe Concerto and Rubbra's 5th Symphony. It was my introduction to three marvellous works.

I think I should have included Dona Nobis Pacem in my list, which I'm seeing in concert tomorrow. Boult's would be my preferred choice.

Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus is a beautiful work but, for me, not in the same class as the Tallis Fantasia, a work I am obsessed with. I first heard FVDL on an Argo LP from Marriner/ASMF. Your mention of Barbirolli drove me nuts - I was sure I must have it somewhere. The Rubbra symphony has been shuffled off to accompany Britten's Violin Concerto (original version). I eventually found the Five Variants in the two disc set that contains Barbirolli's performance of the Sinfonia antartica; it is a superb performance, shame he didn't record it again in stereo though the 1998 remastering is very good.

If I was tempted to include a wild card it would be Five Tudor Portraits (Hickox/LSO) though mainly for 'Jane Scroop'. The Hickox disc also contains a fine performance of FVDL.

Sergeant Rock

Currently Record Review on BBC Radio 3 has a feature where a guest reviewer chooses five 'essential' works by a composer

My five for today:

Symphony No.1 Boult/LPO (EMI)
Symphony No.4 Bernstein/New York
Symphony No.8 Haitink/LPO
Toward the Unknown Region Thomson/LSO
Serenade to Music Boult/LPO

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Draško

Quote from: vandermolen on August 11, 2018, 09:25:20 AM
Your the first to mention the Five Variants on Dives and Lazarus ...

My taste in Vaughan Williams does tend to run strongly toward his more pastoral side. 

knight66

Quote from: relm1 on July 28, 2018, 06:23:26 AM
He has a new recording of the Sea Symphony coming out.  It is this one: http://elizabethwattssoprano.com/?event=vaughan-williams-sea-symphony-with-bbc-scottish-orchestra-brabbins-at-edinburgh-festival

I was in this performance which was earlier this week. It was recorded by the BBC, but no one mentioed to us that it might be issued as a disc. I think it has only been recorded for future broadcasting. The performance has been very well received. He did not linger unduly, so there is no wallowing.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 12, 2018, 03:10:24 AM
Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus is a beautiful work but, for me, not in the same class as the Tallis Fantasia, a work I am obsessed with. I first heard FVDL on an Argo LP from Marriner/ASMF. Your mention of Barbirolli drove me nuts - I was sure I must have it somewhere. The Rubbra symphony has been shuffled off to accompany Britten's Violin Concerto (original version). I eventually found the Five Variants in the two disc set that contains Barbirolli's performance of the Sinfonia antartica; it is a superb performance, shame he didn't record it again in stereo though the 1998 remastering is very good.

If I was tempted to include a wild card it would be Five Tudor Portraits (Hickox/LSO) though mainly for 'Jane Scroop'. The Hickox disc also contains a fine performance of FVDL.

It took me a few minutes to work out what FVDL meant  ::). I rather like the Five Tudor Portraits (FTP) which has grown on me over the years. I recently discovered a fine version conducted by William Steinberg. I agree, however, that Hickox's FTP/FVDL is a great coupling on Chandos.

Karl Henning

Currently Record Review on BBC Radio 3 has a feature where a guest reviewer chooses five 'essential' works by a composer whose works are being played in the Proms season. Today the composer was RVW and the reviewer Mark Lowther. He stressed that it was a personal choice and described the Tuba Concerto as 'a wild card'. Here are his choices -

(1) Songs of Travel - Bryn Terfel (from 'The Vagabond')
(2) A Sea Symphony - Haitink/LPO
(3) Fifth Symphony - Barbirolli/Philharmonia
(4) Tuba Concerto - Fletcher/LSO/Previn (a wild card)
(5) Tallis Fantasia - Silvestri/Bournemouth SO

I find it difficult to choose five essential symphonies let alone from the entire output but here goes. I haven't chosen any songs or chamber music as, though I have various recordings, they are less essential to me and, after much agonising, included only one symphony.

(1) Tallis Fantasia - Barbirolli/Sinfonia of London
(2) Pastoral Symphony - Previn/LSO
(3) Job - Boult/LPO
(4) Dona nobis pacem - Boult/LPO
(5) The Pilgrim's Progress - Hickox/ Orchestra of the ROH etc

Numerous personal favourites have been sacrificed to fit the format.

Without contesting his choice (he did say—what we all know to be true, anyway—that is personal) I do wonder what he finds essential about the Tuba Concerto.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Biffo

Quote from: knight66 on August 12, 2018, 04:49:05 AM
I was in this performance which was earlier this week. It was recorded by the BBC, but no one mentioed to us that it might be issued as a disc. I think it has only been recorded for future broadcasting. The performance has been very well received. He did not linger unduly, so there is no wallowing.

Mike

The Hyperion release (September 28) is not the same as the Edinburgh performance, it has a different orchestra (BBC SO), soloists etc -

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68245

I look forward to hearing your performance when it is eventually broadcast.

Biffo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 12, 2018, 04:59:06 AM
Without contesting his choice (he did say—what we all know to be true, anyway—that is personal) I do wonder what he finds essential about the Tuba Concerto.

He did stress it was a 'wild card' choice and seemed as much concerned with the artistry of John Fletcher as the work itself. I wasn't convinced it was 'essential' even though the reviewer thought it a more substantial work than it is usually given credit for.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

knight66

Quote from: Biffo on August 12, 2018, 05:00:54 AM
The Hyperion release (September 28) is not the same as the Edinburgh performance, it has a different orchestra (BBC SO), soloists etc -

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68245

I look forward to hearing your performance when it is eventually broadcast.

Ha, well that scuppers it from being released stuck to the front of the BBC magazine, a pity. The broadcast will be especially worthwhile for the Thea Musgrave performance which preceded the Sea Symphony. Turbulent Landscapes is an exceptional piece and Brabanns brought out a terrific range of colours and sonorities. More than in the only current recording that I could find.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Last night's concert, under the stars on a beautiful summer evening:

Grant Park Orchestra
Carlos Kalmar, conductor
Pablo Ferrández, cellist
Prokofiev: Sinfonia Concertante
Ives: The Unanswered Question
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 4

Finally I got the chance to hear my favorite VW symphony live. And hooray, it was a stunning performance. The general approach was fast and kind of neo-classical, but with a huge amount of energy. Pairing it with the Prokofiev brought out some similarities between the two composers that I wouldn't have normally suspected. I was also struck by how much the scherzo reminded me of Holst's "Jupiter" - something I hadn't thought of before.

Great playing from all sections of the orchestra, but especially the brass. Big ovation from the large audience at the end. I noted with a certain irony the large number of listeners having picnics on the lawn, even though the liner notes for the Previn recording of this (the first one I got) said that the 4th was "not music for picnics."
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Karl Henning

Cool program!  (Did I say that before?...)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA