Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Quote from: 71 dB on November 01, 2018, 05:40:26 AM
Liking something is not enough, because there's more music out there I "like" than I have time or money in invest in it. It's about choosing between de Falla and Vauhan Williams to make up a concrete case. If I explore BOTH de Falla and Vaughan Williams I have to drop Rubbra. Spending time and money on a specific composer is always away from other music, not only classical. If I have learned anything in life it's that exploring music is a slow process. If I force myself to "work fast", I stop enjoying what I am doing it all becomes pointless. I need to take my time to enjoy new discoveries. Yes, I could listen to all the symphonies back to back next weekend on Spotify, but would I enjoy them? Right now I am into the Finzi/Holst/RVW disc I received today and the Howells + Elgar discs are coming next. I will also receive new electronic music by The Prodigy and Empirion + the new Mull Historical Society album.

Exploring most of Elgar's works took me about two years (1997 and 1998) and he is THE composer that really speaks to my soul. If RVW has more music I like as much as "Serenade to Music", he is worth my time. At this point I don't know.

Classical music isn't my only "hobby". I'm into electronic music and other kind of music too. I also use my time and money on movies and tv shows. Lately I have been into 70's scifi (Rollerball, Zadok, Westworld, Space 1999...) because the nostalgy value of this stuff for a 47 years old dude is huge and it's not plagued with constant shaky camera and fast editing which I hate.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have to take it slow to enjoy it.

I'd second the recommendation of Vaughan Williams 5th and would also recommend his Job: A Masque for Dancing and his choral music, perhaps the Mass in G minor.

FWIW Elgar is my favorite composer too.

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on November 01, 2018, 12:24:01 PM
The Naxos disc has also #2 so it contains your and my favorites.  ;)

I'll try to check "Toward the Elgarian Region" out.  :D

I like 'Toward the Elgarian Region'  :)

2 was Alwyn's favourite of his symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: JohnP on November 01, 2018, 08:54:01 PM
I'd second the recommendation of Vaughan Williams 5th and would also recommend his Job: A Masque for Dancing and his choral music, perhaps the Mass in G minor.

FWIW Elgar is my favorite composer too.

Thanks for the suggestions JohnP and welcome to the forum.
Always nice to have people who appeciate Elgar around.  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2018, 11:11:32 PM
I like 'Toward the Elgarian Region'  :)

2 was Alwyn's favourite of his symphonies.

The opportunity to "rename" the work seemed so obvious.  ;D

Oates

As a major Vaughan Williams enthusiast, as well as that of many other British composers of a similar genre, I have recently been listening to the music of Rodney Newton (see below) who otherwise seems very obscure:

https://toccataclassics.com/composer/rodney-newton/

"The English musician Rodney Newton (b.1945) earned his living as an orchestral timpanist and percussionist, becoming known primarily for his works for brass bands. Until now his substantial output for orchestra has remained completely unknown. This first recording of two early symphonies reveals a composer with a natural sense of melody, drama and colour, and a strong feeling for landscape, in the tradition of such earlier British symphonists as Vaughan Williams and Arnold. The tone poem Distant Nebulae, inspired by Charles Ives' The Unanswered Question, reflects the vastness of the heavens in music of understated beauty and elegance."

Fans of RVW might want to investigate further...

71 dB

Quote from: Oates on November 02, 2018, 03:16:52 AM
As a major Vaughan Williams enthusiast, as well as that of many other British composers of a similar genre, I have recently been listening to the music of Rodney Newton (see below) who otherwise seems very obscure:

https://toccataclassics.com/composer/rodney-newton/

Newton of classical music is not quite as famous as Newton of classical physics.  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on November 02, 2018, 03:30:59 AM
Newton of classical music is not quite as famous as Newton of classical physics.  ;)

You're on a roll today with these comparative analogies.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on November 02, 2018, 04:19:27 AM
Thanks!  :)

And I saw the grave of Newton (the scientist) fairly close to that of Vaughan Williams in Westminster Abbey last week.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2018, 04:31:45 AM
And I saw the grave of Newton (the scientist) fairly close to that of Vaughan Williams in Westminster Abbey last week.

Jefrey, how often do you visit that crypt ?  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: André on November 02, 2018, 05:09:55 AM
Jefrey, how often do you visit that crypt ?  :D

Haha - every Halloween for starters.
8)

71 dB

Okay, just listened to (on Spotify) symphonies 6 & 5 suggested here. I think the 5th symphony is more to my liking. Movement 3 of it is pretty good and the symphony ends beautifully. As for the sixth, I liked mvt. 2 the most. Pretty brass-heavy and strings shy work. I think it would work well in a Hitchcockian thiller/murder mystery movie.

Also listened to Job and Mass in G minor suggested here. I found Job boring/long and Mass in G minor just pushes me away from RVW.  :P The symphonies work better for me than these...

JohnP

Quote from: 71 dB on November 05, 2018, 03:13:42 AM
Okay, just listened to (on Spotify) symphonies 6 & 5 suggested here. I think the 5th symphony is more to my liking. Movement 3 of it is pretty good and the symphony ends beautifully. As for the sixth, I liked mvt. 2 the most. Pretty brass-heavy and strings shy work. I think it would work well in a Hitchcockian thiller/murder mystery movie.

Also listened to Job and Mass in G minor suggested here. I found Job boring/long and Mass in G minor just pushes me away from RVW.  :P The symphonies work better for me than these...

I guess it's on to symphonies 3 and 4 then

71 dB

Quote from: JohnP on November 05, 2018, 06:34:18 AM
I guess it's on to symphonies 3 and 4 then
Yeah, I will go through the symphonies + many other works by RVW in hopes of discovering more music I enjoy as much as 'Serenade to Music'. Just now listening to the Piano Quintet in C minor.

Karl Henning

Do not forget the Violin Sonata.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 05, 2018, 08:08:45 AM
Do not forget the Violin Sonata.

All in time. I can't listen to every note RVW composed just in a day or two.  ;D

Karl Henning

Nor does anyone expect you to!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: 71 dB on November 05, 2018, 08:48:12 AM
All in time. I can't listen to every note RVW composed just in a day or two.  ;D

Better a leisurely exploration.

71 dB

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on November 05, 2018, 11:16:10 AM
Better a leisurely exploration.

I agree, but I jumped to the 3rd symphony...  $:)