Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

To SurprisedByBeauty and Mirror Image (and Vandermolens)...thank you for your helpful comments and suggestions as to what to buy.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2019, 10:43:41 PM
Hi PD (sorry I called you 'PJ'  ::))
The Berglund No.4 was BBC Record Review top choice a while back. Not that that in itself is necessarily important - they chose the Hickox version of No.6 which I didn't think was that good).
I have the Pearl CD of VW conducting Bach but have hardly ever listened to it I'm afraid.
Yes, I really like Boult's Everest release of Symphony 9 (also included in the Decca box). It is very moving indeed. Some versions start with a speech by Boult acknowledging the composer's death a few hours before the recording session. I also like Boult's EMI recording and one by Andrew Davis issued with BBC Music Magazine a while back. The other interesting recorded speech is that from the composer himself thanking Boult and the LPO 'including the lady harpist' at the end of Boult's IMHO unrivalled performance of Symphony 6 on Decca. I agree with you about the cuts in A London Symphony. He should have stopped at least at the 1920 edition as in 1936 he cut out the most moving section of the symphony just before the end. Richard Hickox agreed when I briefly spoke to him when I asked him to sign my concert programme. I've been really impressed by the two recent Brabbins releases.

Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, I found his performance of A London Symphony of the original 1913 version to be stellar, but little else grabbed me in his Chandos series. Generally, I find his work on EMI to be much better.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 23, 2019, 07:06:44 PM
Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, I found his performance of A London Symphony of the original 1913 version to be stellar, but little else grabbed me in his Chandos series. Generally, I find his work on EMI to be much better.

Largely agree John although I liked the short work works coupled with Symphony 5 like 'The Pilgrim's Pavement'. I saw him conduct a live performance of Symphony 9 shortly before his premature death. I'm sorry that it was not recorded as it would have helped to complete his Chandos cycle apart from Sinfonia Antartica.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

I have written PJ more then once but then managed to correct myself. Why do we do that? I know for a fact that PD is passionate about RVW. The last few pages have made interesting reading all of which I largely agree with. There is an elephant in the room with this recent survey (I haven't checked back further). I would be interested in views of recordings and even more so the work itself - Job: A Masque for Dancing.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on January 24, 2019, 01:13:55 AM
I have written PJ more then once but then managed to correct myself. Why do we do that? I know for a fact that PD is passionate about RVW. The last few pages have made interesting reading all of which I largely agree with. There is an elephant in the room with this recent survey (I haven't checked back further). I would be interested in views of recordings and even more so the work itself - Job: A Masque for Dancing.

Boult's 1971 recording with the LSO was my first version and is still my favourite. This might be because for years it was the only one I knew and it is indelibly imprinted on my brain. No other version I have heard comes close though I like the recent Andrew Davis/Bergen Philharmonic release. I know Boult recorded the work more than once but haven't heard any of the others.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2019, 09:36:26 PM
Largely agree John although I liked the short work works coupled with Symphony 5 like 'The Pilgrim's Pavement'. I saw him conduct a live performance of Symphony 9 shortly before his premature death. I'm sorry that it was not recorded as it would have helped to complete his Chandos cycle apart from Sinfonia Antartica.

Yeah, the only Chandos RVW recordings I truly love is Bryden Thomson's cycle (+ his box set of concerti and other orchestral works). But it seems as a whole, Boult (II) and Previn are my go-to symphony cycles.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 24, 2019, 01:13:55 AM
I guess because of PoJholas also wasn't there a character in a British sitcom decades ago known as 'PJ'?

As for Job,I like all Boult's recordings. He recorded it many times maybe because it is dedicated to him. I have the premiere recording on EMI the one on Decca, one on Everest, the later EMI and a live one on Intaglio from the VW Centenary Concert in 1972 which I attended as a tiny pupil. The 1971 is especially fine. I'd also recommend a recent reissue by Barry Wordsworth on Alto with notes by me  :P
[asin]B07G1Z1D2R[/asin]
If I say so myself I think the performance is exceptional.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2019, 06:58:34 AM
I guess because of PoJholas also wasn't there a character in a British sitcom decades ago known as 'PJ'?

As for Job,I like all Boult's recordings. He recorded it many times maybe because it is dedicated to him. I have the premiere recording on EMI the one on Decca, one on Everest, the later EMI and a live one on Intaglio from the VW Centenary Concert in 1972 which I attended as a tiny pupil. The 1971 is especially fine. I'd also recommend a recent reissue by Barry Wordsworth on Alto with notes by me  :P
[asin]B07G1Z1D2R[/asin]
If I say so myself I think the performance is exceptional.
I see that you received a very nice review for you liner notes--on Music Web International

"He does a good job in covering much-ploughed territory in what is among the most readable of contents and styles."   :)

And regarding 'PJ', I'm still getting used to typing it [PD] myself so please don't concern yourself over the minor error!   ;)

Need to go back and revisit Job as it's been quite a while since I've played it.

Believe that I forgot to mention that I also own these sets of VW's recordings?    And this one too: 

Best,

PD (also known at times as 'PJ')
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2019, 07:14:25 AM
I see that you received a very nice review for you liner notes--on Music Web International

"He does a good job in covering much-ploughed territory in what is among the most readable of contents and styles."   :)

And regarding 'PJ', I'm still getting used to typing it [PD] myself so please don't concern yourself over the minor error!   ;)

Need to go back and revisit Job as it's been quite a while since I've played it.

Believe that I forgot to mention that I also own these sets of VW's recordings?    And this one too: 

Best,

PD (also known at times as 'PJ')
Thank you for referencing the nice comment about my notes!  :)
I think that it would save a lot of problems if I referred to you as 'Pohjola's Daughter' which is such a great user name anyway. My brother is 'PDD' so the whole thing has become a hopeless tangle (my late dad was 'DDD'). Contextual comment: I realise that my postings are becoming more and more influenced by cilgwyn  ;D. Anyway, back on topic Handley's 'Job' is excellent and I would rate it more highly that his performances of the symphonies - good as they are. Handley's saw himself as the successor to Boult but I think that Boult was a finer conductor. It is a bit like Boris Johnson seeing himself as the new 'Churchill' (perhaps I'm being unfair and in many ways I'm grateful to Handley - who else would have conducted the Rootham symphonies etc?) The EMI Collectors edition is wonderful and you get the operas and choral works thrown in. Nobody would be disappointed with that I think. There is also a fine 'Boult conducts VW' set.
[asin]B00B2GYJ3U[/asin]
If anyone wants a set of the VW symphonies and doesn't want historical recordings I think that Boult's EMI set would be my top choice. The set above includes them as well as Boult's first EMI recording of Symphony 6 complete with alternative scherzos.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2019, 08:21:37 AM
Thank you for referencing the nice comment about my notes!  :)
I think that it would save a lot of problems if I referred to you as 'Pohjola's Daughter' which is such a great user name anyway. My brother is 'PDD' so the whole thing has become a hopeless tangle (my late dad was 'DDD'). Contextual comment: I realise that my postings are becoming more and more influenced by cilgwyn  ;D. Anyway, back on topic Handley's 'Job' is excellent and I would rate it more highly that his performances of the symphonies - good as they are. Handley's saw himself as the successor to Boult but I think that Boult was a finer conductor. It is a bit like Boris Johnson seeing himself as the new 'Churchill' (perhaps I'm being unfair and in many ways I'm grateful to Handley - who else would have conducted the Rootham symphonies etc?) The EMI Collectors edition is wonderful and you get the operas and choral works thrown in. Nobody would be disappointed with that I think. There is also a fine 'Boult conducts VW' set.
[asin]B00B2GYJ3U[/asin]
If anyone wants a set of the VW symphonies and doesn't want historical recordings I think that Boult's EMI set would be my top choice. The set above includes them as well as Boult's first EMI recording of Symphony 6 complete with alternative scherzos.

You tempter, you!!  >:D  ;)

And lucky you, being able to write liner notes for albums!  If I might ask, is that your main job?  Or a lucky 'aside'?

Best,

PDDDDDDD.....  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2019, 09:29:56 AM
You tempter, you!!  >:D  ;)

And lucky you, being able to write liner notes for albums!  If I might ask, is that your main job?  Or a lucky 'aside'?

Best,

PDDDDDDD.....  :)

Dear PDPPP Pohjola.
I'm fortunate that writing liner notes is not my main job! I would be destitute if it was. No, I'm a semi-retired teacher. I love the music of Miaskovsky (my avatar) and was dutifully following the wonderful individual releases on the defunct Olympia label. Unlike the Warner boxed set they came complete with insightful notes by a soviet music expert called Per Skans. Very sadly, one day there was a tribute to him as he had passed away. I had communicated with him telling him how much I appreciated his notes for the NM (not to be confused with PD) cycle. I had always entertained a kind of fantasy of writing notes for CDs. My technical knowledge of music is zilch but I've always been fascinated by the lives of the composer's and the social/political/historical context of the music (I'm a History teacher). I also knew a bit about Miaskovsky. So I contacted the company Alto which took over the release of the remaining Miaskovsky symphonies and other orchestral works after Olympia collapsed to ask if they had anyone to continue the notes. I had a polite response saying that they had someone in mind to write the notes but would keep my details on file. I assumed that was the last I'd hear of it but a few weeks later they contacted me to see if I was still interested. I'd reviewed a couple of CDs for Musicweb and sent copies to them. I had cold feet about the whole thing and the boss of Alto told me not to 'crucify' myself and just get on with it! So I did and I've now written the notes for 19CD (18 for Alto and one for Griffin - VW Christmas carols). If I say so myself I do a lot of research (I managed to get in touch with Miaskovsky's Grand-Niece in the USA, for example, and used my Russian pupils as slave labour to translate extracts from Miaskovsky's diaries) and they pay me pocket money. However, it is nice to be paid for doing some writing. So far my notes have been for Myaskovsky (they spell it that way) x5, Shostakovich x3, VW x3, Holst x2, Prokofiev x1, Scriabin x1, Novak x1, Copland x1, Barber x1, Walton x1. I'm especially proud of the Novak and VW Job releases as I suggested them and chose the content for the Novak and told them how great Wordsworth's 'Job' was and I even chose the cover images for Waton Symphony 1 and Shostakovich Symphony 11 'The Year 1905'. Thanks for allowing me to go on a massive ego trip here. I never get the chance to do so at home. So, to cut a long story short (which I haven't) the CD note writing is a lucky aside.  8)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2019, 11:03:59 AMThanks for allowing me to go on a massive ego trip here. I never get the chance to do so at home.
Even I, as a guest at your lovely home, failed miserably, last Spring.  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2019, 11:03:59 AM
Dear PDPPP Pohjola.
I'm fortunate that writing liner notes is not my main job! I would be destitute if it was. No, I'm a semi-retired teacher. I love the music of Miaskovsky (my avatar) and was dutifully following the wonderful individual releases on the defunct Olympia label. Unlike the Warner boxed set they came complete with insightful notes by a soviet music expert called Per Skans. Very sadly, one day there was a tribute to him as he had passed away. I had communicated with him telling him how much I appreciated his notes for the NM (not to be confused with PD) cycle. I had always entertained a kind of fantasy of writing notes for CDs. My technical knowledge of music is zilch but I've always been fascinated by the lives of the composer's and the the social/political/historical context of the music (I'm a History teacher). I also knew a bit about Miaskovsky. So I contacted the company Alto which took over the release of the remaining Miaskovsky symphonies and other orchestral works after Olympia collapsed to ask if they had anyone to continue the notes. I had a polite response saying that they had someone in mind to write the notes but would keep my details on file. I assumed that was the last I'd hear of it but a few weeks later they contacted me to see if I was still interested. I'd reviewed a couple of CDs for Musicweb and sent copies to them. I had cold feet about the whole thing and the boss of Alto told me not to 'Crucify' myself and just get on with it! So I did and I've now written the notes for 19CD (18 for Alto and one for Griffin - VW Christmas carols). If I say so myself I do a lot of research (I managed to get in touch with Miaskovsky's Grand-Niece in the USA, for example, and used my Russian pupils as slave labour to translate extracts from Miaskovsky's diaries) and they pay me pocket money. However, it is nice to be paid for doing some writing. So far my notes have been for Myaskovsky (they spell it that way) x5, Shostakovich x3, VW x3, Holst x2, Prokofiev x1, Scriabin x1, Novak x1, Copland x1, Barber x1, Walton x1. I'm especially proud of the Novak and VW Job releases as I suggested them and chose the content for the Novak and told them how great Wordsworth's 'Job' was and I even chose the cover images for Waton Symphony 1 and Shostakovich Symphony 11 'The Year 1905'. Thanks for allowing me to go on a massive ego trip here. I never get the chance to do so at home. So, to cut a long story short (which I haven't) the CD note writing is a lucky aside.  8)

Wow. In all seriousness have you thought of writing a book on your enthusiasm for classical music? The late Burnett James wrote such a book, "An Adventure in Music". I bought it decades ago in a second hand bookshop. James writes about his journey through, and discovery of music. A book I find inspirational. With your academic background it would not be beyond you, I'm sure, and with a suitable discount 8) there is a ready made market at GMG.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 24, 2019, 11:27:01 AM
Even I, as a guest at your lovely home, failed miserably, last Spring.  ???
Haha - that was a very happy day for me.
:)

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 24, 2019, 01:09:55 PM
Wow. In all seriousness have you thought of writing a book on your enthusiasm for classical music? The late Burnett James wrote such a book, "An Adventure in Music". I bought it decades ago in a second hand bookshop. James writes about his journey through, and discovery of music. A book I find inspirational. With your academic background it would not be beyond you, I'm sure, and with a suitable discount 8) there is a ready made market at GMG.
Kind of you to suggest this but I doubt that I have the expertise/discipline to do this (this is not false modesty) but maybe I'll write something longer one day. The 1500 word CD booklet note suits me as it can usually be done over a few days (I tend to drag it out) and fitted in between my teaching, other commitments and onerous domestic chores. But thank you for the suggestion.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2019, 04:33:49 PM
Kind of you to suggest this but I doubt that I have the expertise/discipline to do this (this is not false modesty) but maybe I'll write something longer one day. The 1500 word CD booklet note suits me as it can usually be done over a few days (I tend to drag it out) and fitted in between my teaching, other commitments and onerous domestic chores. But thank you for the suggestion.

You could take a pave from Gurn's book and collect your musical knowledge and insights in a blog, or series of essays collected on a web site.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 24, 2019, 09:23:03 PM
You could take a pave from Gurn's book and collect your musical knowledge and insights in a blog, or series of essays collected on a web site.
Thank you!

Maybe something along the lines of 'Confessions of a CD nutter'.

Coming back to VW I do very much recommend the Wordsworth recording of Job and not just because of my connection with that release. I had its previous manifestation on Collins and was so impressed that I pestered Alto to reissue it. Also you get the only Lark Ascending featuring the original poem on the recording. Having said that I rather preferred the original Collins coupling of 'The Perfect Fool' by Holst.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2019, 09:43:38 PM
Thank you!

Maybe something along the lines of 'Confessions of a CD nutter'.

You've already got a catchy title! :)

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2019, 11:03:59 AM
Dear PDPPP Pohjola.
I'm fortunate that writing liner notes is not my main job! I would be destitute if it was. No, I'm a semi-retired teacher. I love the music of Miaskovsky (my avatar) and was dutifully following the wonderful individual releases on the defunct Olympia label. Unlike the Warner boxed set they came complete with insightful notes by a soviet music expert called Per Skans. Very sadly, one day there was a tribute to him as he had passed away. I had communicated with him telling him how much I appreciated his notes for the NM (not to be confused with PD) cycle. I had always entertained a kind of fantasy of writing notes for CDs. My technical knowledge of music is zilch but I've always been fascinated by the lives of the composer's and the social/political/historical context of the music (I'm a History teacher). I also knew a bit about Miaskovsky. So I contacted the company Alto which took over the release of the remaining Miaskovsky symphonies and other orchestral works after Olympia collapsed to ask if they had anyone to continue the notes. I had a polite response saying that they had someone in mind to write the notes but would keep my details on file. I assumed that was the last I'd hear of it but a few weeks later they contacted me to see if I was still interested. I'd reviewed a couple of CDs for Musicweb and sent copies to them. I had cold feet about the whole thing and the boss of Alto told me not to 'crucify' myself and just get on with it! So I did and I've now written the notes for 19CD (18 for Alto and one for Griffin - VW Christmas carols). If I say so myself I do a lot of research (I managed to get in touch with Miaskovsky's Grand-Niece in the USA, for example, and used my Russian pupils as slave labour to translate extracts from Miaskovsky's diaries) and they pay me pocket money. However, it is nice to be paid for doing some writing. So far my notes have been for Myaskovsky (they spell it that way) x5, Shostakovich x3, VW x3, Holst x2, Prokofiev x1, Scriabin x1, Novak x1, Copland x1, Barber x1, Walton x1. I'm especially proud of the Novak and VW Job releases as I suggested them and chose the content for the Novak and told them how great Wordsworth's 'Job' was and I even chose the cover images for Waton Symphony 1 and Shostakovich Symphony 11 'The Year 1905'. Thanks for allowing me to go on a massive ego trip here. I never get the chance to do so at home. So, to cut a long story short (which I haven't) the CD note writing is a lucky aside.  8)

Oh, neat (for lack of better words)!!  What a great story!  And thank you so much for sharing it.  I'll have to look into the Novak CD (as I enjoy what music I have heard by him....and have a weak spot for Czech composers' music) and the Vaughan Williams one sounds quite interesting too.  I've heard of Barry Wordsworth before but don't know anything about him and his recordings.  When are the Vaughan Williams' ones from?

How did you decide on the artwork for the covers?  I'll have to look them up.  In any event, how wonderful that they listened to your suggestions!  I'm sure that with your background in history and love of music that it must have been a fun journey/experience to think of what would be fitting and appropriate.   :)  And, wow, they liked your suggestions for albums!  How wonderful!  You must have been walking on air when you heard that they decided to go ahead with them!   ;D  Regarding the Lark, does someone read the poem before the performance of it or is it a case of Rossetti's poem being printed in the liner notes?  I'm guessing that someone reads it (which would be sweet)?

Final note:  I've heard of Miaskovsky (and recall that he wrote MANY symphonies)...will have to look into his music at some point in time (finding time right now is a bit challenging).   :)

Best wishes,

PXYZ...D
Pohjolas Daughter