Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

I started with No 4 (LSO/Previn) but that was just chance, it was there in the record shop. Next No 7, borrowed from a record library.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on March 23, 2019, 07:48:41 AM
+1 although I'd probably start with No.5

Not me!  I'd definitely suggest like all great symphonists (Mahler, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, Sibelius, Beethoven) go in order.  They are evolving and the symphonies are semi-autobiographical.  PLEASE go in order.   Just imagine if someone suggest starting with Sibelius 4 or Mahler 6 or Shosti 5 or something. 

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 22, 2019, 06:44:12 PM
I hope you enjoy the journey. Vaughan Williams is a composer I've kind of cooled on right now, but I do still consider him the foremost English composer of not only his own time, but of all-time. I know this is a bold opinion, but I do truly feel there's no other composer from England that has not only created a virtual sound-world unlike any other, but has touched many listeners' hearts in the process. Sorry, but Elgar, Holst, or Britten have nothing on RVW. He was a master.
What are we now ranking composers like baseball players?

I think 2, 4, 5, and 6 are all good places to start. Number 5 has to be one of the great unheralded works of the 20th century. For a long time I really disliked this work, but that was mainly the recording I had (Boult, forget what year) is pretty egregious, just a non-event characterized with nothing more than a perfunctory run-through.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on March 23, 2019, 04:08:05 PM
Not me!  I'd definitely suggest like all great symphonists (Mahler, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, Sibelius, Beethoven) go in order.  They are evolving and the symphonies are semi-autobiographical.  PLEASE go in order.   Just imagine if someone suggest starting with Sibelius 4 or Mahler 6 or Shosti 5 or something.
Fair enough, although I'm not sure that No.1 is the best place to start with Vaughan Williams. I started collecting his music in about 1971 but did not 'get' A Sea Symphony until Haitink's CD appeared decades later. If anything A London Symphony might be the best place to start - after all it was the composer's favourite of his first eight at least.

I started with No.6 which is his greatest IMO.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

+1

Suggesting a specific entry point implies you either do not trust the listener (not experienced enough, migh get the wrong impression, etc) or the composer (his works are uneven).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Biffo on March 23, 2019, 08:02:30 AM
I started with No 4 (LSO/Previn) but that was just chance, it was there in the record shop. Next No 7, borrowed from a record library.

4 was my entry point too: Lenny played parts of it in a televised Young People's concert; then a short time later I heard the whole symphony on the radio (WCLV Cleveland). Then I bought 8 and 2 conducted by Barbirolli. So my introduction to the composer was all over the expressive map.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

FYIW, I started with this disc:

I tackled the symphonies next (the Boult set on EMI to be exact) and I went in order from A Sea Symphony through Symphony No. 9. I'll be honest, at this particular point, I was most impressed with the Sea Symphony, but I was still a novice to RVW's sound-world, but now I wouldn't even rate this symphony amongst my favorites. It's always interesting how tastes can change over time. I don't listen to his music much nowadays, but I'd say my favorite is a toss-up between the 5th and 6th as I feel both of these symphonies are like a yin and yang. The 5th is gorgeous in its' lyricism and sheer beauty while the 6th is angry, discordant, and bleak (esp. in the last movement).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I have never been introduced to any symphonist by listening to all of their works in order. In each case, going all the way back to Beethoven, I've started with a symphony which I felt intrigued by or which attracted my attention and filled out the cycle later. There is plenty of time to follow the composers development later, if I care to follow the composers development.

Quote from: André on March 24, 2019, 05:38:27 AM
+1

Suggesting a specific entry point implies you either do not trust the listener (not experienced enough, migh get the wrong impression, etc) or the composer (his works are uneven).

It is not a matter of trust. Listening for the first time to a composer is a decision point, should more time be to devoted to listening to this composer? Sometimes the answer is no. Why not start with a work which is widely regarded as among his or her best works?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 24, 2019, 06:08:58 AM
So my introduction to the composer was all over the expressive map.

Mine too. I started with 2 and 4 (Previn, both on rather shrill RCA Gold LPs). I liked 2 right away, but 4 struck me as a dense unfriendly wall of sound. It's now my favorite VW symphony, and one of my favorite 20th century symphonies by anyone.

I think the next one I explored was the 6th, and I did so because Sting (yes, that Sting) said it was his favorite piece of classical music. (I read it in Time magazine. This was 1983, and Synchronicity was the album of the year.)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on March 24, 2019, 12:21:44 PM
Mine too. I started with 2 and 4 (Previn, both on rather shrill RCA Gold LPs). I liked 2 right away, but 4 struck me as a dense unfriendly wall of sound. It's now my favorite VW symphony, and one of my favorite 20th century symphonies by anyone.

I think the next one I explored was the 6th, and I did so because Sting (yes, that Sting) said it was his favorite piece of classical music. (I read it in Time magazine. This was 1983, and Synchronicity was the album of the year.)
Interesting about Sting - never heard that before. Apparently Frank Sinatra liked the music of Vaughan Williams as well. Referring back to John's (MI's) point, Vaughan Williams told the young Arthur Butterworth, who was a great VW enthusiast, that if his music did not mean so much to him in the future he must not, in any way, feel that this is being disloyal.

The recent death of Andre Previn encourages me to re-investigate his Vaughan Williams cycle with the LSO.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

PerfectWagnerite

I am not going to pick on Sibelius and Mahler, but for DSCH if you start from the beginning you will have a really hard time stomaching #2 and #3.

JBS

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on March 24, 2019, 07:08:48 PM
I am not going to pick on Sibelius and Mahler, but for DSCH if you start from the beginning you will have a really hard time stomaching #2 and #3.

But then you would miss DSCH 1!

And shed them of their agitprop texts, 2 and 3 do not suffer from a lack of musically interesting things.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

I know of someone - and I do believe him - who claimed to have listened to all the DSCH symphonies in order 1 to 15 in one sitting! A big Shostakovich nut, but doubt if he is now!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aukhawk

In all those cases (and VW too) with the exception of Mahler - the first symphony is atypical of the maturer output as a whole.  For me, that would be a good reason to start elsewhere - I'd need to hear a typical work to know if I want to continue with the adventure or not.

Biffo

Over the years I have bought several complete Mahler and Sibelius cycles and usually listened to them in numerical order but that is not how I got to know these works. It was haphazard - what was in my local record shop or record library.

Currently working through the Gielen Mahler cycle but hit my usual stumbling block, No 8 - I will listen to it eventually.

My experience with RVW is pretty much the same.

AS the poster who initiated this discussion has a complete cycle already I suppose it is reasonable to start with No 1 though I found it difficult to finish for many years.

Christo

Quote from: Biffo on March 25, 2019, 02:09:55 AM
AS the poster who initiated this discussion has a complete cycle already I suppose it is reasonable to start with No 1 though I found it difficult to finish for many years.

For me (and some more, here) the Sea Symphony is the odd one out; I would never advise to start there.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Biffo

Quote from: Christo on March 25, 2019, 02:23:42 AM
For me (and some more, here) the Sea Symphony is the odd one out; I would never advise to start there.

The OP was going to listen to the Sea Symphony on March 22. He/she hasn't reported back yet.

Christo

Quote from: Biffo on March 25, 2019, 02:38:35 AM
The OP was going to listen to the Sea Symphony on March 22. He/she hasn't reported back yet.
It is indeed quite long, AFAIK; I myself rarely make it till the end.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Jaakko Keskinen

I started with the Sea Symphony.  ::) And liked it a lot.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

cilgwyn

I don't think this recording is high on vandermolen's,list;but I quite like it?! I played it the other night! It was my introduction to the Fifth Symphony,and Flos Campi;via an emi musicassette,bought in,Woolworths or Smiths (and maybe,even Boots?!). Remember when,the defunct (as per,high street) Woolworths and WH Smiths actually sold some ,Lp's,cd's (and cassettes) worth buying? And even some recordings of composers like VW,Elgar,Walton,etc?! I even bought cd's (or cassettes,I can't remember) of Gibson conducting Sibelius in Boots,of all places!! Anyway,this VW cd of the Fifth and Flos Campi was one. I later bought the cd. Handley isn't my favourite conductor for any VW work;but I think his 3 & 4 are very good,and I quite like his Job. I also like the performances on this cd. But the clincher,for me,(admittedly ;D) is probably putting Flos Campi together,and placing Flos Campi,first;which is one of my favourite VW  works.