Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

My first ever purchase was a Music for Pleasure LP of  Sargent conducting Vaughan Williams (Serenade to Music, Greensleeves etc), bought in Boots.

cilgwyn

I'm glad you've confirmed this! I was,actually,beginning to think I might just have imagined buying classical cd's there! ??? ::) ;D I'm not sure if they didn't even have a Boots cd label? But I can't find anything online? I think the Gibson Sibelius cd's were,more probably,the budget series by Chandos. (They were Chandos recordings). I don't think Woolworths or WH Smiths went much further than Elgar,VW,Walton,Delius or Holst's The Planets;but I think they may have had some Arnold. I'm sure I saw the emi cassette of Beckus the Dandipratt,etc,there (and bought it!). Some of Britten's more popular works,of course! I'm lucky to find anything of the slightest interest in WH Smith,these days! Gone are the days when I'd stand there,looking up cd reviews in the Penguin and Gramophone guides. Although,I take the occasional peek at Gramophone. I did use the Post Office there,today,though!! ::) ;D

Biffo

I also bought my second and third LPs in Boots, also MfP - Beethoven 5 & 6 from Steinberg and the Pittsburgh SO.

cilgwyn

Sibelius and Beethoven in Boots! And VW,Elgar and Walton in WH Smith and Woolworths! Wow!! ??? :o :o :o ;D I was in the Post Office in WH Smith today,thinking;they used to have those records and cassettes (and cd's) here,where I'm standing! Mahler,too! Barbirolli's Fifth and Ninth seemed to be regulars! Wyn Morris' Beethoven recordings on Pickwick & Imp,budget label's. Very good,too! I think I can remember Barbirolli's recordings of Appalachia and Brigg fair on cassette,as well?!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 29, 2019, 05:47:45 AM
I don't think this recording is high on vandermolen's,list;but I quite like it?! I played it the other night! It was my introduction to the Fifth Symphony,and Flos Campi;via an emi musicassette,bought in,Woolworths or Smiths (and maybe,even Boots?!). Remember when,the defunct (as per,high street) Woolworths and WH Smiths actually sold some ,Lp's,cd's (and cassettes) worth buying? And even some recordings of composers like VW,Elgar,Walton,etc?! I even bought cd's (or cassettes,I can't remember) of Gibson conducting Sibelius in Boots,of all places!! Anyway,this VW cd of the Fifth and Flos Campi was one. I later bought the cd. Handley isn't my favourite conductor for any VW work;but I think his 3 & 4 are very good,and I quite like his Job. I also like the performances on this cd. But the clincher,for me,(admittedly ;D) is probably putting Flos Campi together,and placing Flos Campi,first;which is one of my favourite VW  works.

It's a good CD. My youthful Saturday job was in the record department at WH Smith in the Earl's Court Road, London. Most of my wages went on LPs which I purchased with my staff discount, including Boult's EMI boxed set of the VW symphonies on LP.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Is it my impression or the 9th Symphony is the most Baxian of the bunch? The chromatism is notoriously more impressionistic and less pastoral, a bit harsh. Even I dare to say that Brian is on the mix. Anyway, VW certainly was changing his style from this point. I'd have liked there were a 10th Symphony by him (ditto for other similar situations in some composers: Glazunov 9th completed, Prokofiev 8th, Bruckner 10th if completed the 9th, Brahms 5th, Kalinnikov 3rd, Nielsen 7th, Walton 3rd, and so on).

All in all, the 9th might be my second favorite (after the 2nd). BTW, the recording I listened to was that by Thomson on Chandos.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 29, 2019, 09:18:58 PM
Is it my impression or the 9th Symphony is the most Baxian of the bunch? The chromatism is notoriously more impressionistic and less pastoral, a bit harsh. Even I dare to say that Brian is on the mix. Anyway, VW certainly was changing his style from this point. I'd have liked there were a 10th Symphony by him (ditto for other similar situations in some composers: Glazunov 9th completed, Prokofiev 8th, Bruckner 10th if completed the 9th, Brahms 5th, Kalinnikov 3rd, Nielsen 7th, Walton 3rd, and so on).

All in all, the 9th might be my second favorite (after the 2nd). BTW, the recording I listened to was that by Thomson on Chandos.
Interesting point about Bax Cesar. I hadn't thought of that before but I see your point. The 9th is perhaps my favourite with 6 and the 1913 or 1920 version of 2. The Thomson recording is excellent and nicely coupled with the Piano Concerto on its original release. Yes, I wish that Glazunov had completed No.9 as I liove the poignant and moving opening movement. I'm sure that I once heard Walton (at a speech made at a concert) say that he was working on a Third Symphony but nothing ever appeared.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 29, 2019, 11:26:21 AM
Sibelius and Beethoven in Boots! And VW,Elgar and Walton in WH Smith and Woolworths! Wow!! ??? :o :o :o ;D I was in the Post Office in WH Smith today,thinking;they used to have those records and cassettes (and cd's) here,where I'm standing! Mahler,too! Barbirolli's Fifth and Ninth seemed to be regulars! Wyn Morris' Beethoven recordings on Pickwick & Imp,budget label's. Very good,too! I think I can remember Barbirolli's recordings of Appalachia and Brigg fair on cassette,as well?!

Let us not forget Marks and Sparks had their own label too! CD and some vinyl. How the mighty have fallen!

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

cilgwyn

And,an original recording,made exclusively,for Marks and Spencer;no less!! :o I don't think Boots,WH Smith or Woollies ever managed that? Or did,they?!! HMV had their bargain label,too! I like their cd of Moeran's Symphony,with the Bax and John Ireland recordings of Tintagel & A London Overture. I think they make a nice listen;put together,like that!
It would be quite interesting to hear that recording of the Enigma Variations by Richard Armstrong. Just for the record,as they say?!! ::) ;D The artwork is mildly interesting. A face made up of question marks>!! Aha! The Enigma!! Gedditt?!! ;D

Biffo

I am not sure but I think Hallmark records were only on sale in Woolies. However, I don't think they were original recordings. Another early purchase was Beethoven 9 from Krips/LSO on that label from Woolies.. The Krips Beethoven cycle has been round the houses before and since that 1969 purchase.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on March 29, 2019, 11:43:57 PM
Interesting point about Bax Cesar. I hadn't thought of that before but I see your point. The 9th is perhaps my favourite with 6 and the 1913 or 1920 version of 2. The Thomson recording is excellent and nicely coupled with the Piano Concerto on its original release. Yes, I wish that Glazunov had completed No.9 as I liove the poignant and moving opening movement. I'm sure that I once heard Walton (at a speech made at a concert) say that he was working on a Third Symphony but nothing ever appeared.

Just yesterday I realized that connection. Equally, the 5th may be seen as his most Sibelian. It's interesting how composers influence each other and how one notices that.

Irons

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 30, 2019, 04:41:55 AM
And,an original recording,made exclusively,for Marks and Spencer;no less!! :o I don't think Boots,WH Smith or Woollies ever managed that? Or did,they?!! HMV had their bargain label,too! I like their cd of Moeran's Symphony,with the Bax and John Ireland recordings of Tintagel & A London Overture. I think they make a nice listen;put together,like that!
It would be quite interesting to hear that recording of the Enigma Variations by Richard Armstrong. Just for the record,as they say?!! ::) ;D The artwork is mildly interesting. A face made up of question marks>!! Aha! The Enigma!! Gedditt?!! ;D

Yes, being an original recording, along with quite a few others, set Marks and Spencer apart. Collins, the book publisher, had a piece of the action at the height of CD popularity making their own recordings. For reissues even Penguin, another famous publisher, entered the fray with great fanfares and then promptly sunk without trace.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aukhawk

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 29, 2019, 10:17:16 AM
I'm not sure if they didn't even have a Boots cd label? But I can't find anything online?

Boots Classical Collection - example cover pic:
[edit: replacing the Vivaldi example with something more appropriate]

https://www.discogs.com/Elgar-Bax-In-The-South-Alassio-Froissart-Three-Characteristic-Pieces-Phantasy/release/8570600

I have in my hand a CD of Bach organ music on that label (complete with Boots logo on cover art) which appears to be a rebadged BIS recording.  I also have a memory of something - Sibelius maybe - with Neeme Jarvi and the Gothenburgers - would also have been BIS I expect.
[edit] the Elgar above is Downes/BBCPO, and the Bax is Handley/RPO - recorded 1990 by Conifer.

Woolies I remember had their own label for covers of popular music singles, performed by the likes of Sheila Buxton - Embassy I think it was, although that is now a label I associate with jazz bootlegs.

Ainsi la nuit

Quote from: Biffo on March 25, 2019, 02:38:35 AM
The OP was going to listen to the Sea Symphony on March 22. He/she hasn't reported back yet.

Still alive! Listening to the 5th symphony (same forces as before) as I type this.

I actually quite enjoyed the Sea Symphony, though I hasten to add that understanding it fully will require many further listens.

So far my favourite has probably been the 4th, but none of the works have disappointed me. I'm very much looking forward to continuing this project!

As to the listening tactics: I tend to approach a big body of works (like a symphony cycle) in chronological order. Just a personal preference; I thoroughly enjoy seeing (or rather: hearing) how the composer developed in a particular genre.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

JBS

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 30, 2019, 04:41:55 AM

Here it is for you, on Amazon US, at least.

[asin]B000025UMB[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

DaveF

Quote from: Biffo on March 29, 2019, 05:52:21 AM
My first ever purchase was a Music for Pleasure LP of  Sargent conducting Vaughan Williams (Serenade to Music, Greensleeves etc), bought in Boots.

The only thing more nostalgic than VW's music is reminiscing about buying LPs of it in Boots!

I've just been listening to a surprisingly good recording of the London Symphony on Spotify (not LP) by the RLPO conducted by Andrew Manze (that was the surprising bit - although looking closer I see it's part of a complete cycle (ongoing?)).  Crystal clear recording and splendidly audible percussion (of interest particularly to a percussionist who's going to be playing it on Sunday).
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Biffo

Quote from: DaveF on April 04, 2019, 08:53:25 AM
The only thing more nostalgic than VW's music is reminiscing about buying LPs of it in Boots!

I've just been listening to a surprisingly good recording of the London Symphony on Spotify (not LP) by the RLPO conducted by Andrew Manze (that was the surprising bit - although looking closer I see it's part of a complete cycle (ongoing?)).  Crystal clear recording and splendidly audible percussion (of interest particularly to a percussionist who's going to be playing it on Sunday).

Being incurably nostalgic I have that recording on an old-fashioned CD. Actually,  I previewed it on Spotify.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: DaveF on April 04, 2019, 08:53:25 AM

Nostalgia! I used to buy CDs in New York at "The Record Hunter" on the corner of 5th Avenue and 42nd Street. (catty corner with the New York Public Library). It was replaced by an H&M store.

After strolling out with my CDs I'd see this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7529525,-73.9813153,3a,75y,278.54h,98.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUdC-CA_uvcTKRoVPLk2nxw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

DaveF

Quote from: Biffo on April 04, 2019, 09:34:46 AM
Being incurably nostalgic I have that recording on an old-fashioned CD. Actually,  I previewed it on Spotify.

Ah, CDs... I remember buying my first one in Farringdon Records in about 1987, in the days of good Queen Margaret...  How does the rest of the cycle sound, I wonder?  They're a bit pricey at the moment, although I see Qobuz has 5/6 and 2/8 both at £6.49, and the Sea Symphony for £3.60, the last a real bargain if any good.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison