Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: knight66 on April 21, 2019, 03:22:27 AM
I do find lots of sly humour and warmth, compassion and plenty of emotion as well as visceral pain in Peter Grimes. That is expressed in the music as well as the words. I think of it as an opera for grown-ups. The libretto is poetic and dramatic and it does not indulge in endless repetitions. I also suggest it is perfectly fine for the inexperienced opera goer. It depends what the ear can cope with. For me the best version is Davis with Vickers and Harper.

Poor RVW, I will have to think of something to say about his music.

Mike

Peter Grimes is a great work, melodic, approachable and challenging.

The booklet vs no-booklet dichotomy drove me to opera on video (DVD or preferable Blue Ray).  Neither listening with my nose buried in a booklet nor listening and having no idea what is going on was entirely satisfactory. Subtitles are the best compromise. Of course, you often have to contend with bizarre "artistic" productions, and there are recordings I might want to listen to that are not on video...

vandermolen

This CD was very well reviewed in the Sunday Times today. I haven't received it yet but look forward to doing so:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2019, 03:09:34 AM
This CD was very well reviewed in the Sunday Times today. I haven't received it yet but look forward to doing so:

An interesting selection though I think I have some of the works in one form or another. According to Presto it will be released May 17.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on April 28, 2019, 03:24:45 AM
An interesting selection though I think I have some of the works in one form or another. According to Presto it will be released May 17.
Yes, that's what Amazon UK says as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2019, 03:59:28 AM
Yes, that's what Amazon UK says as well.

I have ordered it from Amazon along with some other household items and got free postage. The postage on Presto is prohibitive.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on April 28, 2019, 05:37:23 AM
I have ordered it from Amazon along with some other household items and got free postage. The postage on Presto is prohibitive.

Yes, I have Amazon Prime which is worth it in the end if you buy enough stuff from them.  ::)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2019, 07:34:23 AM
Yes, I have Amazon Prime which is worth it in the end if you buy enough stuff from them.  ::)
You can also give your Prime Membership (minus the video and music portions) to another person as an added bonus.

vandermolen

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 28, 2019, 07:42:33 AM
You can also give your Prime Membership (minus the video and music portions) to another person as an added bonus.
How can you do that? It's linked to my Amazon account. Having said that my daughter hacks into my Times newspaper membership area  ::).

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2019, 02:33:55 PM
How can you do that? It's linked to my Amazon account. Having said that my daughter hacks into my Times newspaper membership area  ::).
If you go to "Accounts and Lists"---> "Your Prime Membership"

Then go the bottom and click on "Share Your Prime Benefits".

For many yrs my sister had a Prime account and she shared it with me which allowed me to get the free 2 day shipping, but no videos or music.
Now I have my own.

vandermolen

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 28, 2019, 03:34:46 PM

For many yrs my sister had a Prime account and she shared it with me which allowed me to get the free 2 day shipping, but no videos or music.
Now I have my own.
Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you.
:)

Biffo

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 28, 2019, 03:34:46 PM

Now I have my own.

Thanks also.

relm1

There is much to admire about the new onyx (sorry guys I have bad vision and can't fully see the label) of Symphony No. 7 an No. 9.  I LOVE the slow tempo!!   Very much what the work needs.  I still "hear it" slower and with way more dynamic range.  This is a fantastic release but I hear the music better than how it was presented here.  It needs hyper dynamics.  Great release.  Fantastic version of the music.  But not perfect. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on April 30, 2019, 05:08:11 PM
There is much to admire about the new onyx (sorry guys I have bad vision and can't fully see the label) of Symphony No. 7 an No. 9.  I LOVE the slow tempo!!   Very much what the work needs.  I still "hear it" slower and with way more dynamic range.  This is a fantastic release but I hear the music better than how it was presented here.  It needs hyper dynamics.  Great release.  Fantastic version of the music.  But not perfect.
How very interesting to know. Thank you. I'm very pleased as I've been disappointed by earlier releases in that series. Do your comments relate to Sinfonia Antartica, Symphony 9 or to both works? I'm really looking forward to receiving this CD now.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on April 30, 2019, 09:33:53 PM
How very interesting to know. Thank you. I'm very pleased as I've been disappointed by earlier releases in that series. Do your comments relate to Sinfonia Antartica, Symphony 9 or to both works? I'm really looking forward to receiving this CD now.

Both are fine and superior here than on Chandos/Sir Andrew Davis.

Biffo

I have the Andrew Davis discs of Antartica and No 9 (coupled with Job) and think them fine performances. As the onyx issue stands I won't be making any comparisons except, possibly, No 9 if I can get it on Spotify.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on May 01, 2019, 06:12:53 AM
Both are fine and superior here than on Chandos/Sir Andrew Davis.

There's a facebook group dedicated to RVW and in the last couple of days this new Manze recording (which I have NOT heard) has been discussed and the general opinion seems to have been strongly negative - laboured and slow being the consensus especially in No.9.  This recording is already on Spotify so it might be a "try-before-you-buy" scenario.......  Does seem odd to include the superscriptions as part of the main track....  Out of curiosity just sampled via Spotify a bit of the "Landscape" movement.... is the organ dubbed from the Anglican cathedral - it sounds like that organ and has a different acoustic around it......?  Quite liked the weighty epic feel though actually!

Biffo

You beat me to it! I have just listened to No 9 on Spotify and at just over 40 mins it is far too slow for me. Sargent took around 31 mins at the world premiere (available on YouTube), Boult around 34 mins on both his recordings.

I sampled Antartica; Timothy West has a lovely speaking voice but is redundant. The whole album is a definite dud as far as I am concerned.

vandermolen

Interesting comments. I still look forward to receiving my copy so that I can 'stick my oar in'.
Today a CD arrived featuring Alexander Mosolov's 'Tractors arrival at the Kolkhoz'. Can't wait to hear this one!
8)

vandermolen

aukhawk

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 01, 2019, 06:52:40 AM
There's a facebook group dedicated to RVW and in the last couple of days this new Manze recording (which I have NOT heard) has been discussed and the general opinion seems to have been strongly negative - laboured and slow being the consensus especially in No.9.  This recording is already on Spotify so it might be a "try-before-you-buy" scenario.......  Does seem odd to include the superscriptions as part of the main track....  Out of curiosity just sampled via Spotify a bit of the "Landscape" movement.... is the organ dubbed from the Anglican cathedral - it sounds like that organ and has a different acoustic around it......?  Quite liked the weighty epic feel though actually!

Laboured and slow in the 9th is what appeals to me.  I look forward to listening later today.

Is there any (non-live, stereo) recording of the Antartica where the organ was not recorded separately?

(Incidentally belated congratulations to the RVW thread on reaching 200 pages  ;D - even if some of them were mostly Bax, Moeran, Elgar, Britten ...