Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Christo on July 04, 2019, 10:32:00 PM
I guess the BBC is claiming that this is the 'public premiere'; the Dutton CD has a studio performance from Glasgow, August 2017, with the Royal Scots under the same conductor. I played it often, over the last months:   

I listened to the link and enjoyed "The Blue Bird" enough to order the Dutton CD.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on July 04, 2019, 11:31:52 PM
I listened to the link and enjoyed "The Blue Bird" enough to order the Dutton CD.

Ah the joy of differing tastes..... I thought the BBC concert from the English Music Festival was excellent but my only relative disappointment was "The Bluebird".  Effective enough as incidental music I'm sure but no mature/particularly characteristic RVW at all except for the odd pentatonic phrase.  Conversely the early Stanford concerto was very impressive.  Not very individual - any innocent ear would surely guess Germanic in origin but great fun if you like Romantic Violin Concerti with bold gestures and plenty of display.  Very well played here too.....

calyptorhynchus

I had an interesting experience the other day, I was listening to Previn's VW S9 and in the slow movement it suddenly struck me that the climax has eight notes struck on the tubular bell. I suddenly thought "wait a minute, isn't the S9 supposed to based on music that was inspired by Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbevilles. And in that novel isn't Tess hanged at 8 o'clock in the final chapter?" I looked up references and it appears that this is what that passage is about. I was so pleased because normally I'm rubbish at guessing the programme for programme music.

BTW after listening to Manze's S9 and not liking it (it made me think in places "wait, haven't I got the wrong track, isn't this the Antarctic?") and went back and listened to Thomson and then Previn, and I think that Previn has the edge for me. His account is more epic in finale, even more sort of "fare forth!" in tone than Thomson.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on July 05, 2019, 01:40:30 PM
I had an interesting experience the other day, I was listening to Previn's VW S9 and in the slow movement it suddenly struck me that the climax has eight notes struck on the tubular bell. I suddenly thought "wait a minute, isn't the S9 supposed to based on music that was inspired by Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbevilles. And in that novel isn't Tess hanged at 8 o'clock in the final chapter?" I looked up references and it appears that this is what that passage is about. I was so pleased because normally I'm rubbish at guessing the programme for programme music.

BTW after listening to Manze's S9 and not liking it (it made me think in places "wait, haven't I got the wrong track, isn't this the Antarctic?") and went back and listened to Thomson and then Previn, and I think that Previn has the edge for me. His account is more epic in finale, even more sort of "fare forth!" in tone than Thomson.

Very interesting comments. I remain loyal to Boult in Symphony 9, along with Thomson, Slatkin and Stokowski. The Andrew Davis BBC Music Magazine freebie CD was also very good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aukhawk

I wouldn't call the CD a freebie given that the magazine content (to judge solely by the recent issue with the Moeran cover disc) is worthless.

Christo

Great find, love it! BTW, speaking about the slow movement (Andante sostenuto) of the Ninth: the sheer poignancy of Thomson, both here and in the Scherzo (Allegro pesante) remain my first choice, though I prefer Previn in the outer movements and also - to my own surprise, but it's really one of the best - Vernon Handley.

As for the Manze: his approach is totally inconsistent with his other recordings - especially the Sixth shares common ground with the Ninth IMHO, and should be treated similarly - but, very sorry, yet I do: I love his extremely elegiac Ninth too.  8) It's certainly not what the defiant-til-the-end composer himself had in mind, yet: it is a farewell and Manze's reading stretches these aspects to the limit.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

cilgwyn

Now,I've got all those opera and operetta recording (and Franz Lehár,Christo! ;D) out of my system;I've finally got those Vaughan Williams Bryden Thomson cd's,piled up,next to the cd player! John Ireland's Piano Concerto is playing at the moment;with Kathryn Stott playing;as I wanted to listen to it,as I typed up my post in the,relevant,Ireland,thread. Although,I must admit it's been,mostly,Bax,Bantock and Holbrooke,for the last week! About the only composer I turned off (twice!) was Cyril Scott!!

Christo

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 06, 2019, 05:48:18 AM
Now,I've got all those opera and operetta recording (and Franz Lehár,Christo! ;D) out of my system
8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

cilgwyn

Playing now! All this talk of 'listening piles' and Lehár (well,just me,actually ::)) reminds me of those Gramophone lists,after the venerable,magazine began it's sad decline!
ie: "Some other music I might enjoy after listening to VW's Pastoral Symphony?!

If you enjoyed this.......                                                                                 You might,possibly.................?!!

This is my first real,listen!

cilgwyn

No 4! Thomson's 'Pastoral' had the most luscious,sumptuous sound,of any recording of that symphony,I have yet to hear! Yvonne Kenny has a lovely voice,but she seemed a bit too 'near'! A good recording;and who am I to criticise? Some nameless,oik!! (Okay,that's enough self deprecatory!! But true,I suppose?!! Not too keen on that,"oik",though! :()) But it seemed lacking in something! Atmosphere,I think?! I have listened to this recording of the Fourth a few times now,though;and I think it is,absolutely,splendid! I like it,very much!! :)

aligreto

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 06, 2019, 10:09:53 AM
No 4! Thomson's 'Pastoral' had the most luscious,sumptuous sound,of any recording of that symphony,I have yet to hear! Yvonne Kenny has a lovely voice,but she seemed a bit too 'near'! A good recording;and who am I to criticise? Some nameless,oik!! (Okay,that's enough self deprecatory!! But true,I suppose?!! Not too keen on that,"oik",though! :()) But it seemed lacking in something! Atmosphere,I think?! I have listened to this recording of the Fourth a few times now,though;and I think it is,absolutely,splendid! I like it,very much!! :)

Good post: I like the self deprecation. Carry on  8)

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I have now listened to Thomson's recording of the Fifth Symphony. I enjoyed this recording;and I like it very much! I wasn't so sure about his recording of the third,though. I just felt it was lacking in something. Atmosphere? I can't really put my finger on it! Oh,and it might have been my ears,or these wireless headphones ::);but the soloist seemed too close! Yvonne Kenny certainly has a lovely voice,though. It just seemed to lack that sense of mystery I find in say,Previn or Boult! Oh,and it's also the most sumptuous recording of the third I have heard! It almost seemed lush! Which is nice and good;but maybe,a little too much. It certainly brings out the beauty of the scoring,though! The Fifth is much more to my taste,though. I think it is a very good recording. That said,Barbirolli is still my favourite! Maybe it's just my age ::),but it's just got more atmosphere,poetry and mystery! Thomson's account is still very good,though. That said,to my mind,good as his Fifth is,it's the Fourth and Sixth where Thomson really comes into his own. I think they are two of the most exciting,gripping,recordings I have heard. I also like his Ninth! I think I would place that third,after his Fourth and Sixth. And,I will have to listen to the eighth properly,when I get to it now;but what I heard,when I gave it a cursory listen,when I got the cd,did sound rather gorgeous! I need to continue through the entire cycle,though,before I can really make up my mind. But there's no doubt,it's a very rewarding cycle. I only wish he could have been with us a bit longer! It's great that his Daniel Jones cycle is being released on Lyrita! (Hurry up,with Symphonies 3 & 5,Lyrita! ;D)

Karl Henning

Well done.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 06, 2019, 03:04:22 PM
I have now listened to Thomson's recording of the Fifth Symphony. I enjoyed this recording;and I like it very much! I wasn't so sure about his recording of the third,though. I just felt it was lacking in something. Atmosphere? I can't really put my finger on it! Oh,and it might have been my ears,or these wireless headphones ::);but the soloist seemed too close! Yvonne Kenny certainly has a lovely voice,though. It just seemed to lack that sense of mystery I find in say,Previn or Boult! Oh,and it's also the most sumptuous recording of the third I have heard! It almost seemed lush! Which is nice and good;but maybe,a little too much. It certainly brings out the beauty of the scoring,though! The Fifth is much more to my taste,though. I think it is a very good recording. That said,Barbirolli is still my favourite! Maybe it's just my age ::),but it's just got more atmosphere,poetry and mystery! Thomson's account is still very good,though. That said,to my mind,good as his Fifth is,it's the Fourth and Sixth where Thomson really comes into his own. I think they are two of the most exciting,gripping,recordings I have heard. I also like his Ninth! I think I would place that third,after his Fourth and Sixth. And,I will have to listen to the eighth properly,when I get to it now;but what I heard,when I gave it a cursory listen,when I got the cd,did sound rather gorgeous! I need to continue through the entire cycle,though,before I can really make up my mind. But there's no doubt,it's a very rewarding cycle. I only wish he could have been with us a bit longer! It's great that his Daniel Jones cycle is being released on Lyrita! (Hurry up,with Symphonies 3 & 5,Lyrita! ;D)
I'm enjoying your reviews of the Thomson cycle cigwyn and look forward to reading your thoughts on the later symphonies. I rate that cycle very highly. It's appearance pre-dated Musicweb and they have only just reviewed it:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Apr/VW_sys_CHAN9087.htm

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I've got this concert coming up on Saturday:

Grant Park Orchestra
Martyn Brabbins, conductor
Stephen Hough, pianist
MacMillan: Stomp
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 2 "A London Symphony"

This will be the 4th VW symphony I've heard at Grant Park. Martyn Brabbins - I've heard of him, but never heard him. Any thoughts on his VW?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Christo

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 17, 2019, 06:34:01 AM

Grant Park Orchestra
Stephen Hough, pianist

This will be the 4th VW symphony I've heard at Grant Park. Martyn Brabbins - I've heard of him, but never heard him. Any thoughts on his VW?
He recorded the 1920 version (a few minutes longer) of 'A London Symphony' for Hyperion and that recording is very fine. The question is: which version will he do now?

Biffo

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 17, 2019, 06:34:01 AM

Grant Park Orchestra
Stephen Hough, pianist

Brabbins conducted a fine performance of the Sea Symphony in Edinburgh last year and it was broadcast; I preferred it to his recording for Hyperion with different forces released shortly afterwards. He has also recorded the 1920 version of the London Symphony which provoked some discussion in this thread. Hopefully, there is more to come.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Christo on July 17, 2019, 06:37:08 AM
He recorded the 1920 version (a few minutes longer) of 'A London Symphony' for Hyperion and that recording is very fine. The question is: which version will he do now?

Unfortunately the program notes don't really answer that question. They list date of composition as "1912-14" which suggests the first version to me, though.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 17, 2019, 07:16:07 AM
Unfortunately the program notes don't really answer that question. They list date of composition as "1912-14" which suggests the first version to me, though.

Not a chance its the original version - that was released one-time only by the RVW estate to make the Hickox recording.  I would be surprised if internationally any version except the "standard" revision was played - in part because of availability of the orchestral parts.......