Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 22, 2020, 08:33:54 AM
I find there to be enough orchestral "meat" in the 20th-century operas I've heard! :)

I'm not keen on the way the vocals are written in operatic music, so that's my main objection about operas in general.

kyjo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 22, 2020, 07:06:21 AM
Sounds intriguing Kyle!  I don't know the other works on that CD.  Are they early works of Vaughan Williams?

PD

Hi PD, here's part of the Amazon blurb for the CD:

Discoveries don't come much more rewarding than Vaughan Williams's Three Nocturnes. Dating from 1908, they are settings of his favourite poet Walt Whitman. Now Anthony Payne has orchestrated the two not orchestrated by Vaughan Williams - and a marvellous job he has done, too, bringing out every adventurous facet of this often astonishingly forward-looking music. Payne's consummate understanding of the idiom is also evident in the deeply touching Four Last Songs. Roderick Williams and Jennifer Johnston are on stellar form, while Martyn Brabbins and the BBC SO give of their very best both here and in two purely orchestral offerings. Of the 11 film scores that Vaughan Williams penned between 1940 and 1956, only one was lost: Stricken Peninsula is a short propaganda film from 1945 about the Allied Armies' aid efforts in southern Italy, and Philip Lane has fashioned some of the best ideas he was able to hear behind the narration on the original soundtrack into an eight-minute 'Italian Rhapsody'. A Road All Paved with Stars: this sumptuous 27-minute symphonic essay by Adrian Williams does ample justice to its source material's soaring lyricism and tender warmth. --Andrew Achenbach, Gramophone, November 2016
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kyjo on June 22, 2020, 08:36:52 AM
Hi PD, here's part of the Amazon blurb for the CD:

Discoveries don't come much more rewarding than Vaughan Williams's Three Nocturnes. Dating from 1908, they are settings of his favourite poet Walt Whitman. Now Anthony Payne has orchestrated the two not orchestrated by Vaughan Williams - and a marvellous job he has done, too, bringing out every adventurous facet of this often astonishingly forward-looking music. Payne's consummate understanding of the idiom is also evident in the deeply touching Four Last Songs. Roderick Williams and Jennifer Johnston are on stellar form, while Martyn Brabbins and the BBC SO give of their very best both here and in two purely orchestral offerings. Of the 11 film scores that Vaughan Williams penned between 1940 and 1956, only one was lost: Stricken Peninsula is a short propaganda film from 1945 about the Allied Armies' aid efforts in southern Italy, and Philip Lane has fashioned some of the best ideas he was able to hear behind the narration on the original soundtrack into an eight-minute 'Italian Rhapsody'. A Road All Paved with Stars: this sumptuous 27-minute symphonic essay by Adrian Williams does ample justice to its source material's soaring lyricism and tender warmth. --Andrew Achenbach, Gramophone, November 2016
Thanks Kyle!   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 21, 2020, 04:17:05 PM
Good to know about the complete opera, Cesar. I should give it a spin at some point. I assume you're referring to Sir John in Love, which I erroneously said A Road Paved With Stars is based off.

I've heard all of his operas (I think). Most of them are truly stunning.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 21, 2020, 04:26:01 PM
Actually, I've been slowly getting into opera, and have enjoyed some of the few that I've listened to recently. The main reason I don't listen to more opera is not really because of dislike for the genre, but mainly just because of the sheer time commitment of sitting down to listen to an often 2 1/2 or 3 hour long (or longer!) work. Hearing Puccini's Turandot on the radio yesterday and being quite enthralled by it reminded me that I need to set aside more time to listen to opera!

That's a good symptom! And you've heard one of the most unabashedly glorious operas ever IMO.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 22, 2020, 07:08:00 AM
I don't know her works Jeffrey, but you've certainly intrigued me! 

PD
Well PD I'd certainly recommend Symphony No.2 but I actually enjoy everything that I have heard from her.
Quote from: Irons on June 22, 2020, 07:46:25 AM
Set in stone Bantock this evening but thanks to Jeffrey the earth has moved and Grace Williams comes out top. As I recall the symphony Jeffrey is correct in comparing Williams 2nd to the most driven of Vaughan Williams symphonies. I am due a revisit anyway.
When you get round to it Lol I'd be interested to hear your opinion of it. I've listened to it several time over the last few days and find it a searching, urgent and memorable symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2020, 12:00:35 AM
Well PD I'd certainly recommend Symphony No.2 but I actually enjoy everything that I have heard from her.When you get round to it Lol I'd be interested to hear your opinion of it. I've listened to it several time over the last few days and find it a searching, urgent and memorable symphony.

Listened last night, Jeffrey. You have hit the nail squarely on the head with "searching, urgent and memorable". From the first note to last Williams is urgently and restlessly searching and this is what this work is all about (not the music you would expect from a lady resembling your favourite aunt!). The RVW influence is there alright, in fact you could slot this in his symphonic oeuvre and it would not be out of place, it is that good. I did also wonder if Shostakovich is lurking somewhere, especially in the first movement. Jeffrey is right to bring this symphony to our notice.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 23, 2020, 07:14:47 AM
Listened last night, Jeffrey. You have hit the nail squarely on the head with "searching, urgent and memorable". From the first note to last Williams is urgently and restlessly searching and this is what this work is all about (not the music you would expect from a lady resembling your favourite aunt!). The RVW influence is there alright, in fact you could slot this in his symphonic oeuvre and it would not be out of place, it is that good. I did also wonder if Shostakovich is lurking somewhere, especially in the first movement. Jeffrey is right to bring this symphony to our notice.
Nice!  I'll look to see whether or not I can find any of her music online...or perhaps through the library, now that it's opening up again.   :)

PD

EDIT:  I did find at least two uploads on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGvvS8tDzd8  and here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvcTJ-hIyc0
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 23, 2020, 07:14:47 AM
Delighted that you enjoyed it Lol. I had the original LP release and liked it from the start. I was amused by your 'favourite aunt' comment but I wonder if the work would be better known had it been written by a male composer. Of course that shouldn't be the case but it wouldn't entirely surprise me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 23, 2020, 07:20:12 AM
Nice!  I'll look to see whether or not I can find any of her music online...or perhaps through the library, now that it's opening up again.   :)

PD

EDIT:  I did find at least two uploads on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGvvS8tDzd8  and here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvcTJ-hIyc0

Ah, great - you can hear Symphony No.2 there.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2020, 05:43:29 AM
Yes, that's quite true, although other conductors (Previn for example) did include them - but at least it shows that they weren't included without Vaughan Williams's approval.

Interesting; I've only just programmed a playlist of Previn's recording (and enjoyed the fact that I could omit the superscriptions)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on June 20, 2020, 01:52:24 PM
Recently I've fell in love with A Road All Paved With Stars, which is a 27-minute "orchestral synthesis/symphonic rhapsody" created by Adrian Williams of key themes from RVW's opera The Poisoned Kiss (which I haven't heard). Purists may not like this, I suppose, and I'm not sure how much of it is "pure" RVW. But, quite frankly, I do not care! This is truly some glorious, heart-easing, tuneful, and characterful music which I urge you all to hear. It completely exceeded my expectations! It's included on this CD:

https://youtu.be/FbLgH5YFb-s

Periodically I find myself curious about The Poisoned Kiss.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

This is a very exciting new release of Barbirolli conducting VW's 6th Symphony at his 70th Birthday Concert in 1969 (sadly only a few months before his death). Barbirolli chose the programme (the VW + Elgar's 'Introduction and Allegro' + Beethoven's 7th Symphony). Barbirolli's performance of the VW has an authenticity from the start - he conducted the second ever performance after Boult's premiere and they were both close friends of the composer. I would say that the looming threat of the second movement (Moderato) is the greatest that I have ever heard. However, the 'big tune' at the end of the first movement is a bit too 'Ye Olde England' for my taste (Boult's slightly understated way is, paradoxically, much more affecting IMO). As with my original Decca Eclipse LP I had to turn the volume up for the last movement 'Epilogue' which was played too fast for my taste (Boult with the LPO is much better) and sounded rushed. Having said that it seemed to slow down (and get louder) as it progressed and I found the searching, moving and nihilistic ending to be as good as any.
This is strongly recommended to any VW fan, notwithstanding my reservations which you might not agree with anyway. I am delighted to have a recording of my favourite VW symphony (other than the one on Orfeo) by one of his finest interpreters:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 26, 2020, 09:40:46 AM
This is a very exciting new release of Barbirolli conducting VW's 6th Symphony at his 70th Birthday Concert in 1969 (sadly only a few months before his death). Barbirolli chose the programme (the VW + Elgar's 'Introduction and Allegro' + Beethoven's 7th Symphony). Barbirolli's performance of the VW has an authenticity from the start - he conducted the second ever performance after Boult's premiere and they were both close friends of the composer. I would say that the looming threat of the second movement (Moderato) is the greatest that I have ever heard. However, the 'big tune' at the end of the first movement is a bit too 'Ye Olde England' for my taste (Boult's slightly understated way is, paradoxically, much more affecting IMO). As with my original Decca Eclipse LP I had to turn the volume up for the last movement 'Epilogue' which was played too fast for my taste (Boult with the LPO is much better) and sounded rushed. Having said that it seemed to slow down (and get louder) as it progressed and I found the searching, moving and nihilistic ending to be as good as any.
This is strongly recommended to any VW fan, notwithstanding my reservations which you might not agree with anyway. I am delighted to have a recording of my favourite VW symphony (other than the one on Orfeo) by one of his finest interpreters:

Nice!   :)  How did you find the sound quality of it to be Jeffrey?  And, I'm assuming that the Decca Eclipse LP was a regular studio recording?  And where was the performance held at?

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 26, 2020, 11:15:36 AM
Nice!   :)  How did you find the sound quality of it to be Jeffrey?  And, I'm assuming that the Decca Eclipse LP was a regular studio recording?  And where was the performance held at?

Best,

PD
PD
The sound quality was not a problem for me. Obviously it is more modern that the old Boult recordings from the late 1940s and early 1950s but not nearly as good as the recent batch of VW symphony cycles. It dates from 1969 around the time of Boult's second EMI recording but I don't think the ound is a good. It has a kind of 'period atmosphere' to,it which I rather like. I've only heard it once and intend to listen to it again probably tomorrow.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks Jeffrey.  By the way, where was it recorded?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 26, 2020, 09:40:46 AM

Interesting, Jeffrey. Thanks for the write-up. I'd say the 6th is one of the toughest to pull off well. The 1st and 3rd also don't exactly 'play themselves' either. The 3rd is especially difficult to get right because of so much of the music is subtle and requires a certain ear to guide the music along. Of course, the last movement of the 3rd crescendos, but most of this symphony is not easy to conduct I would imagine.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 26, 2020, 03:42:03 PM
Interesting, Jeffrey. Thanks for the write-up. I'd say the 6th is one of the toughest to pull off well. The 1st and 3rd also don't exactly 'play themselves' either. The 3rd is especially difficult to get right because of so much of the music is subtle and requires a certain ear to guide the music along. Of course, the last movement of the 3rd crescendos, but most of this symphony is not easy to conduct I would imagine.
I agree John. The booklet notes point out that No.6 is difficult to get right. I think that there are very few entirely successful performances. Thinking about it last night, I agree that 'A Pastoral Symphony' is the other one that is difficult to get right (Previn and Elder are my favourites).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 26, 2020, 03:36:35 PM
Thanks Jeffrey.  By the way, where was it recorded?

PD
Free Trade Hall, Manchester, 18th December 1969

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 26, 2020, 09:49:43 PM
Free Trade Hall, Manchester, 18th December 1969

I received my copy yesterday but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I am encouraged by your review. As it is a live performance I am hoping the Finale will be audible, as it is in Barbirolli's Bavarian recording.