Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Has anyone heard Brabbins' new recording of the 5th?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2020, 11:56:51 AM
I think that either Roasted Swan or Biffo has the CD. I bought it myself but decided to ask my wife to give it to me for Christmas and also asked my daughter to give me the Elder recording of 'Job' and the orchestral version of the Songs of Travel.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2020, 01:09:53 PM
I think that either Roasted Swan or Biffo has the CD. I bought it myself but decided to ask my wife to give it to me for Christmas and also asked my daughter to give me the Elder recording of 'Job' and the orchestral version of the Songs of Travel.

Ah, so I'll have to wait until Christmas to get your opinion of it. Damn, that's just not fair! ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2020, 01:12:45 PM
Ah, so I'll have to wait until Christmas to get your opinion of it. Damn, that's just not fair! ;D

Haha - I guess that I could steal it from the 'present cupboard' (especially as I put it there myself) . I recently bought the Ben-Haim and Vladigerov CDs, not to mention Kastalsky's 'Requiem' and the Finlandia Salmenhaara CD. So, I thought that I should pace my greedy acquisitions out in order to appreciate them individually more - a case of 'less is more'. So far I've greatly enjoyed symphonies 1-4 in the series.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2020, 01:46:31 PM
Haha - I guess that I could steal it from the 'present cupboard' (especially as I put it there myself) . I recently bought the Ben-Haim and Vladigerov CDs, not to mention Kastalsky's 'Requiem' and the Finlandia Salmenhaara CD. So, I thought that I should pace my greedy acquisitions out in order to appreciate them individually more - a case of 'less is more'. So far I've greatly enjoyed symphonies 1-4 in the series.

Nah, I would just wait. You have the right idea. I normally don't ask anything for Christmas myself, but parents usually give me some money, but this year I don't even know what I'll buy as there haven't really been much in the way of new releases that have interested me.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2020, 02:54:01 PM
Nah, I would just wait. You have the right idea. I normally don't ask anything for Christmas myself, but parents usually give me some money, but this year I don't even know what I'll buy as there haven't really been much in the way of new releases that have interested me.
How about the Ben-Haim new release on Chandos John and the Vladigerov on Capriccio? Just some thoughts.

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2020, 11:56:51 AM

I bought it as a lossless download and think it is a very fine performance - the best yet from Brabbins. The 5th has been very well served on record with Boult, Barbirolli and Previn being my favourites - I find it hard to choose between them.

I will have to give Brabbins another listen soon; I am not so keen on the coupling, for completists only.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2020, 01:09:53 PM
....I bought it myself but decided to ask my wife to give it to me for Christmas and also asked my daughter to give me the Elder recording of 'Job' and the orchestral version of the Songs of Travel.
:laugh:  :) Has this happened often Jeffrey?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 04:58:39 AM
Yes, fairly often PD
:)
I remember my mom complaining that it was impossible shopping for presents for my dad as he always went out (ahead of time) and purchased what he wanted rather than waiting!  ::)  Lists, Jeffrey, think "Lists" and "Patience".   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2020, 05:08:35 AM
I remember my mom complaining that it was impossible shopping for presents for my dad as he always went out (ahead of time) and purchased what he wanted rather than waiting!  ::)  Lists, Jeffrey, think "Lists" and "Patience".   ;)

PD

My sympathies are with your dad PD.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 06:32:06 AM
My sympathies are with your dad PD.  ;D
And mine with your wife and family!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

I wonder if Jeffrey wraps up presents to himself and then places them under the tree? :-\
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 09, 2020, 08:44:07 AM
I wonder if Jeffrey wraps up presents to himself and then places them under the tree? :-\
Or maybe he at leasts wraps them and *addresses them to himself before sticking them in that cupboard?   Then at least it's a surprise for his wife on Christmas Day?

"To my dearest, beloved Jeffrey, from your doting wife...."   :D ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 01:24:31 AM
How about the Ben-Haim new release on Chandos John and the Vladigerov on Capriccio? Just some thoughts.

That's possible, but, honestly, I don't really see any new releases that have captured my interest.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on November 09, 2020, 02:30:58 AM
I bought it as a lossless download and think it is a very fine performance - the best yet from Brabbins. The 5th has been very well served on record with Boult, Barbirolli and Previn being my favourites - I find it hard to choose between them.

I will have to give Brabbins another listen soon; I am not so keen on the coupling, for completists only.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm certainly not in dire need of any more Vaughan Williams but I might eventually get after Christmas.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 09, 2020, 08:44:07 AM

Haha - certainly not! My wife wraps them up  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2020, 08:49:03 AM
Or maybe he at leasts wraps them and *addresses them to himself before sticking them in that cupboard?   Then at least it's a surprise for his wife on Christmas Day?

"To my dearest, beloved Jeffrey, from your doting wife...."   :D ;D

PD

That's an unlikely greeting - more likely 'Oh no! Not another bl__dy CD!'
;D

Also, like my mother used to, she only ever calls me Jeffrey (rather than Jeff) if she's cross with me (so, most of the time actually  8))

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 10:29:02 AM
That's an unlikely greeting - more likely 'Oh no! Not another bl__dy CD!'
;D
:laugh:   ;)  Just teasing you of course!  I'm glad that you have a good sense of humorr Jeffrey.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2020, 10:32:27 AM
:laugh:   ;)  Just teasing you of course!  I'm glad that you have a good sense of humorr Jeffrey.

Best wishes,

PD
:)

The teenage daughter of my CD nutter work colleague/friend played a wicked trick on him. A large parcel of CDS arrived for him at their house while he was out. So, she very carefully opened the parcel and removed all the CDs, replacing them with CDs from the shelves of his collection and carefully sealed up the package again. She then took great, malicious, pleasure at watching her dad's puzzled expression when he opened the parcel. Terribly wicked!