Author Topic: Vaughan Williams's Veranda  (Read 711153 times)

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
Re: Vaughan Williams's Veranda
« Reply #4940 on: December 31, 2020, 06:41:05 AM »
Enjoyed both rather recent Dutton releases with 'unknown' incidental music, this year. Especially the music for The Blue Bird (1913) is fine, IMHO:

… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #4941 on: January 11, 2021, 11:54:01 AM »
A pretty interesting video on the 5th symphony:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9S35rjq1ZyM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9S35rjq1ZyM</a>
“Competitions are for horses, not artists.”

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #4942 on: January 12, 2021, 01:34:07 AM »
A pretty interesting video on the 5th symphony:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9S35rjq1ZyM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9S35rjq1ZyM</a>

Excellent, John. Thanks for bringing to our attention.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4943 on: January 12, 2021, 03:36:53 AM »
+1 Enjoyed it!

PD

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #4944 on: January 12, 2021, 07:09:31 AM »
+1 Enjoyed it!

PD
Me too, largely well-known facts, but put into a convincing argument for the music's greatness.  :)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #4945 on: January 12, 2021, 08:12:26 AM »

+1 Enjoyed it!

PD

Me too, largely well-known facts, but put into a convincing argument for the music's greatness.  :)

I’m glad you all enjoyed it! I haven’t finished watching it, but I will (probably during lunchtime).
“Competitions are for horses, not artists.”

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #4946 on: February 04, 2021, 03:46:47 PM »
I really love the Pastoral Symphony. I reckon it's his greatest work, or at least the one which speaks to me the most directly.

I only have one recording, albeit a very good one: André Previn with the London Symphony Orchestra on RCA Victor. What are some other great recordings of the work?

Offline Benji

• Veteran member
    • Flickr
« Reply #4947 on: February 04, 2021, 04:24:23 PM »
I really love the Pastoral Symphony. I reckon it's his greatest work, or at least the one which speaks to me the most directly.

I only have one recording, albeit a very good one: André Previn with the London Symphony Orchestra on RCA Victor. What are some other great recordings of the work?

It's an easy piece to fall for in a big way; so very heartfelt.

I really liked the more recent recording with the Hallé and Mark Elder... Except for the last movement. They made a bad choice with the soprano, she's just too heavy handed and it is such a shame. Otherwise it might be my first choice but now I have to swap to a different recording for the finale. I like the Previn one too.

Offline DavidW

« Reply #4948 on: February 04, 2021, 04:37:07 PM »
I like Sir Adrian Boult, the stereo recording.

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #4949 on: February 04, 2021, 07:19:44 PM »

I only have one recording, albeit a very good one: André Previn with the London Symphony Orchestra on RCA Victor. What are some other great recordings of the work?

Maybe a bit controversial choice but I happen to like the Haitink version. Slow, atmospheric, and dark with a lot of detail. Reminds me of a Caspar David Friedrich painting - probably not what VW was aiming for, but I like it anyway.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4950 on: February 04, 2021, 11:50:23 PM »

Michael Kennedy, the writer and friend of VW considered it to be his greatest work. Much as I admire it I prefer Nos. 2,5,6 and 9. Previn's is my favourite but I also enjoyed the Elder performance. I must give the Haitink another listen to. I was interested in vers la flamme's Caspar David Friedrich observation as he is one of my favourite painters. VW himself said that he'd been inspired by a 'Corot-like landscape' when he was on war service in France.
Here's a Corot landscape!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 06:42:24 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline DavidW

« Reply #4951 on: February 05, 2021, 06:39:25 AM »
Maybe a bit controversial choice but I happen to like the Haitink version. Slow, atmospheric, and dark with a lot of detail. Reminds me of a Caspar David Friedrich painting - probably not what VW was aiming for, but I like it anyway.

I think that Haitink's RVW is in general underappreciated.  At least at Classics Today!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4952 on: February 05, 2021, 06:48:20 AM »
I think that Haitink's RVW is in general underappreciated.  At least at Classics Today!
Here too I think. I recall that No.2 'London' and 7 'Antartica' were very well reviewed when they first appeared. I recall thinking that No.6 was one of the (IMO comparatively few) successful recordings. Listening to Haitink's 'A Sea Symphony' made that work come alive and it remains my favourite recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline DavidW

« Reply #4953 on: February 05, 2021, 08:54:30 AM »
Listening to Haitink's 'A Sea Symphony' made that work come alive and it remains my favourite recording.

Oh wow same here!

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4954 on: February 05, 2021, 11:55:24 AM »
I remember at the time (way back when....) narrowing down people's suggestions (as to what my first boxed set of VW symphonies should be) to either Handley or Haitink and went for the Haitink.  Haven't played them in some time, but do recall enjoying them!