Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on February 13, 2022, 05:35:55 AM
And the hor-eye-zon.

*Bad-um, tish*

Another clever play on words, for those quick enough to spot it!  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

I listened to A London Symphony, Finale, in two versions, Haitink 1933/6 and Brabbins 1920, this time Brabbins first then Haitink. A bad idea, harder to perceive the differences that way, listening to what is missing in Haitink. I'll have to repeat the exercise. I was impressed with the quality of Brabbins' performance of the finale. Aside from passages removed in the revision, the Wikipedia page refers to "changes in scoring." The Brabbins recording struck me as a bit more opulent and impressionistic. I couldn't say whether that reflects difference in the score, or Brabbins' handling of orchestral balances, compared with Haitink.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 17, 2022, 05:56:18 AM
I listened to A London Symphony, Finale, in two versions, Haitink 1933/6 and Brabbins 1920, this time Brabbins first then Haitink. A bad idea, harder to perceive the differences that way, listening to what is missing in Haitink. I'll have to repeat the exercise. I was impressed with the quality of Brabbins' performance of the finale. Aside from passages removed in the revision, the Wikipedia page refers to "changes in scoring." The Brabbins recording struck me as a bit more opulent and impressionistic. I couldn't say whether that reflects difference in the score, or Brabbins' handling of orchestral balances, compared with Haitink.
The Brabbins recording of the 1920 version is my favourite recording. Yes, try listening the other way round and the differences should be clearer.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Listened again to the Finale of A London Symphony, first Haitink 1933/6 then Brabbins 1920. I confirm that I enjoy Brabbins' performance of the main section more than Haitink, because of a more opulent presentation (due to performance or rescoring, I don't know). I can't say I can put my finger on the restored passage in the epilog. Part of the problem is once I get to the Westminster chimes played on harp, which I can never quite hear, my mind starts wandering. I checked the time of various landmarks and found that Haitink takes about 3:30 to get from the beginning of the epilog (alternative note figure) to the solo violin entrance and Brabbins takes 5:07, so there is an extra minute and a half of music there. At this point it is an obsession and I won't rest until identify it. I will have to set up two players and listen to both in 10 second increments until I nail down the exact moment the extra bit is inserted. :(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 18, 2022, 04:15:43 AM
Listened again to the Finale of A London Symphony, first Haitink 1933/6 then Brabbins 1920. I confirm that I enjoy Brabbins' performance of the main section more than Haitink, because of a more opulent presentation (due to performance or rescoring, I don't know). I can't say I can put my finger on the restored passage in the epilog. Part of the problem is once I get to the Westminster chimes played on harp, which I can never quite hear, my mind starts wandering. I checked the time of various landmarks and found that Haitink takes about 3:30 to get from the beginning of the epilog (alternative note figure) to the solo violin entrance and Brabbins takes 5:07, so there is an extra minute and a half of music there. At this point it is an obsession and I won't rest until identify it. I will have to set up two players and listen to both in 10 second increments until I nail down the exact moment the extra bit is inserted. :(
I've had both relevant recording playing just now.
I reckon that the extended extra section starts at around 11.48 into the last movement of the Brabbins recording and the cut is from about 12.31 in the last movement of the Haitink recording. I am acutely aware of that 'missing section' from the 1936 version. Hope this helps!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on February 19, 2022, 11:52:17 AM
I've had both relevant recording playing just now.
I reckon that the extended extra section starts at around 11.48 into the last movement of the Brabbins recording and the cut is from about 12.31 in the last movement of the Haitink recording. I am acutely aware of that 'missing section' from the 1936 version. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort! The missing sections from the second and third movements stood out for me, but the finale has been elusive.

(I hope I never find out that Vaughan Williams revised any of his other symphonies.)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 19, 2022, 07:38:08 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time and effort! The missing sections from the second and third movements stood out for me, but the finale has been elusive.

(I hope I never find out that Vaughan Williams revised any of his other symphonies.)

He did replace the scherzo of the 6th Symphony.... but not until after it had been published and  Boult recorded it here.....

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 19, 2022, 11:20:47 PM
He did replace the scherzo of the 6th Symphony.... but not until after it had been published and  Boult recorded it here.....

Yes indeed and I think that the Dutton CD allows you to hear both versions.

Biffo

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 19, 2022, 07:38:08 PM

In 1951 RVW revised all of the existing six symphonies. In his biography of Sir John Barbirolli, Michael Kennedy says the revisions were 'fairly extensive' without saying what they were. It was possibly around this time he admitted that the London symphony was 'beyond mending'. He sent copies of the scores to Barbirolli asking him to make any changes he thought fit: JB confined himself to technical matters.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on February 20, 2022, 02:35:49 AM
In 1951 RVW revised all of the existing six symphonies. In his biography of Sir John Barbirolli, Michael Kennedy says the revisions were 'fairly extensive' without saying what they were. It was possibly around this time he admitted that the London symphony was 'beyond mending'. He sent copies of the scores to Barbirolli asking him to make any changes he thought fit: JB confined himself to technical matters.
A pity that Barbirolli didn't suggest restoring the 1920 version of A London Symphony!

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2022, 02:38:17 AM
A pity that Barbirolli didn't suggest restoring the 1920 version of A London Symphony!

I doubt if JB ever saw the 1920 score.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on February 20, 2022, 03:09:33 AM
I doubt if JB ever saw the 1920 score.
I bet you are right, but he could have heard it as Bernard Herrmann and Boult did.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 19, 2022, 11:45:35 PM
Yes indeed and I think that the Dutton CD allows you to hear both versions.

EMI released the 1949 Boult 6th along with the original Scherzo on the HMV Treasury series, Jeffrey. The revised Scherzo is dated 15th February 1950 in the notes.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2022, 02:38:17 AM

I think Vaughan Williams would have changed Barbirolli's nickname from "Glorious John" to "Vainglorious John." :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 20, 2022, 11:15:06 AM
I think Vaughan Williams would have changed Barbirolli's nickname from "Glorious John" to "Vainglorious John." :)

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2022, 07:30:44 AM
EMI released the 1949 Boult 6th along with the original Scherzo on the HMV Treasury series, Jeffrey. The revised Scherzo is dated 15th February 1950 in the notes.
Thanks Lol. Yes, I recall collecting that fine LP.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2022, 12:54:40 PM
Thanks Lol. Yes, I recall collecting that fine LP.

I was pleasantly surprised to find from the same LP in my view the finest "The Lark Ascending" with Jean Pougnet from 1953 on a recently purchased RVW twofer CD.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 21, 2022, 12:20:11 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to find from the same LP in my view the finest "The Lark Ascending" with Jean Pougnet from 1953 on a recently purchased RVW twofer CD.
Totally agree about Lark Ascending Lol. That's a fabulous 2 CD set, not least for including Boult's 'Dona Nobis Pacem' and one of my rare favourite, the 'Fantasia on the Old 104th' . I once wrote to the pianist Peter Katin about it and he told me that the piano part was difficult to play.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 21, 2022, 12:50:31 AM
Totally agree about Lark Ascending Lol. That's a fabulous 2 CD set, not least for including Boult's 'Dona Nobis Pacem' and one of my rare favourite, the 'Fantasia on the Old 104th' . I once wrote to the pianist Peter Katin about it and he told me that the piano part was difficult to play.

Blimey Jeffrey, I wrote to Peter Katin too! Through his website which included his email address. I thanked him for a Liszt recording which I enjoyed very much. He wrote a very nice note back and funnily enough said exactly the same "difficult to play". Lovely fellow, who did not get recognition due. Sorry to hear of his passing although he did reach a good age. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 21, 2022, 07:28:27 AM
Blimey Jeffrey, I wrote to Peter Katin too! Through his website which included his email address. I thanked him for a Liszt recording which I enjoyed very much. He wrote a very nice note back and funnily enough said exactly the same "difficult to play". Lovely fellow, who did not get recognition due. Sorry to hear of his passing although he did reach a good age.
Interesting! Yes, I was sad to hear of his passing as well.