Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2022, 06:30:45 AM
Thought I should get the thread back on the rails. This looks like an interesting new release but I'm not sure that I need another recording of On Wenlock Edge:

It looks like a nice recording, Jeffrey, but, like you, I don't need another recording of On Wenlock Edge. The only RVW releases I'm anticipating are from Brabbins' ongoing symphony cycle, which seems to have come to a halt at the moment. :-\

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 31, 2022, 06:49:42 AM
It looks like a nice recording, Jeffrey, but, like you, I don't need another recording of On Wenlock Edge. The only RVW releases I'm anticipating are from Brabbins' ongoing symphony cycle, which seems to have come to a halt at the moment. :-\
Yes, probably due to Covid John. I'm much preferring his cycle to the ones conducted by Manze, Elder (apart from 'A Pastoral Symphony') and the incomplete Norrington releases.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

LKB

Quote from: Biffo on March 31, 2022, 06:41:15 AM
Looks tempting - I only have one recording of The House of Life and that is rather elderly - Anthony Rolfe Johnson (1974) - but then I don't listen to it very often.

This is a fine recording of the work, which I've enjoyed for many years now, featuring Geoffrey Parsons and Thomas Allen:

https://www.amazon.com/Idle-Hill-Summer-Williams-Butterworth/dp/B00004SLKI
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Biffo

Quote from: LKB on March 31, 2022, 07:43:15 AM
This is a fine recording of the work, which I've enjoyed for many years now, featuring Geoffrey Parsons and Thomas Allen:

https://www.amazon.com/Idle-Hill-Summer-Williams-Butterworth/dp/B00004SLKI

Thomas Allen is one of my favourite singers, I will have to double-check what RVW songs I have by him. That looks a nice disc but it would be pricey for me to import.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2022, 06:30:45 AM
Thought I should get the thread back on the rails. This looks like an interesting new release but I'm not sure that I need another recording of On Wenlock Edge:

As a matter of idle curiosity, Jeffrey: what's the current count? 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 31, 2022, 11:57:18 AM
As a matter of idle curiosity, Jeffrey: what's the current count? 8)
Hmmm...let me see Karl:

Haitink
Duke Quartet
Langridge/Shelley
Fitzwilliam SQ
Music Group pf London/Partridge (favourite)
Padmore/Schubert Ensemble
Steinberg
Richard Lewis (I was at this performance - VW Centenary Concert 1972)
Rattle
Bostridge/Haitink
Padmore/Britten SQ
Maran
Measham

Some orchestral, some chamber groups.

Maybe some more  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 31, 2022, 06:41:15 AM
Looks tempting - I only have one recording of The House of Life and that is rather elderly - Anthony Rolfe Johnson (1974) - but then I don't listen to it very often.
My thoughts exactly  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2022, 07:23:10 AM
Yes, probably due to Covid John. I'm much preferring his cycle to the ones conducted by Manze, Elder (apart from 'A Pastoral Symphony') and the incomplete Norrington releases.

Indeed. You and I are in agreement, especially in regards to the Manze cycle.

LKB

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2022, 01:11:38 PM
Hmmm...let me see Karl:

Haitink
Duke Quartet
Langridge/Shelley
Fitzwilliam SQ
Music Group pf London/Partridge (favourite)
Padmore/Schubert Ensemble
Steinberg
Richard Lewis (I was at this performance - VW Centenary Concert 1972)
Rattle
Bostridge/Haitink
Padmore/Britten SQ
Maran
Measham

Some orchestral, some chamber groups.

Maybe some more  ::)

I have the EMI/Partridge release, coupled with Warlock's The Curlew and a few other songs by RVW. Tbh, it always seemed sufficient, and I've never sought out another recording...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Roasted Swan

Quote from: LKB on April 01, 2022, 12:19:33 AM
I have the EMI/Partridge release, coupled with Warlock's The Curlew and a few other songs by RVW. Tbh, it always seemed sufficient, and I've never sought out another recording...

I have quite a few versions - not to rival Vandermolen mind! - but to be honest, I think the Partridge is magnificent and the equal of any other version...........

vandermolen

Quote from: LKB on April 01, 2022, 12:19:33 AM
I think that's the best version anyway! I love the coupling with 'The Curlew'. I quite like Rattle's orchestral version of On Wenlock Edge as well (he hardly recorded any VW).

foxandpeng

The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra concert I attended on Saturday, is being broadcast tonight on BBC Radio 3 at 7.30pm, UK time.

RVW #2 and #7 with John Wilson conducting. I thought it was excellent. Link below

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001623c?at_campaign=64&at_custom3=%40BBCPhilharmonic&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom4=F3F17438-BA3D-11EC-AAA3-7DAF96E8478F
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 12, 2022, 01:42:08 AM
The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra concert I attended on Saturday, is being broadcast tonight on BBC Radio 3 at 7.30pm, UK time.

RVW #2 and #7 with John Wilson conducting. I thought it was excellent. Link below

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001623c?at_campaign=64&at_custom3=%40BBCPhilharmonic&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom4=F3F17438-BA3D-11EC-AAA3-7DAF96E8478F

It seems that Chandos has a lot of faith in John Wilson's conducting. For me, the label won't ever have the likes of Hickox, Handley, Thomson or Järvi again. Gardner is pretty good, though. I've been hugely impressed with his Schoenberg recordings for example.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2022, 07:00:15 AM
It seems that Chandos has a lot of faith in John Wilson's conducting. For me, the label won't ever have the likes of Hickox, Handley, Thomson or Järvi again. Gardner is pretty good, though. I've been hugely impressed with his Schoenberg recordings for example.

I had never seen him in action before Saturday and he was completely new to me. He seems a very understated conductor. I know theatricality and energetic flourishes don't necessarily mean quality, but his leading had little obvious personality. Having said that, he clearly led the orchestra to produce a really enjoyable performance.

I guess hearing it broadcast this evening will give me a handle on whether hearing it live made it feel better than it was 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 12, 2022, 08:29:13 AM
I had never seen him in action before Saturday and he was completely new to me. He seems a very understated conductor. I know theatricality and energetic flourishes don't necessarily mean quality, but his leading had little obvious personality. Having said that, he clearly led the orchestra to produce a really enjoyable performance.

I guess hearing it broadcast this evening will give me a handle on whether hearing it live made it feel better than it was 🙂

I've got Wilson's recordings of Korngold and some others and have been disappointed. It sounds like your experience with him is more positive than my own.

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 12, 2022, 01:42:08 AM

Thanks! Listening e'en now!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

The May BBC Music Magazine is a VW 150th Birthday special. I've been enjoying the cover CD today featuring the ubiquitous John Wilson conducting symphonies 4 and 6 as well as In the Fen Country (BBC Philharmonic Orchestra). I didn't think that the performance of the 4th Symphony was anything special (I much prefer Berglund's recording) but the stand-out item for me was the 6th Symphony, which was given a fine performance although the last movement seemed too loud for me and therefore a bit lacking in spectral eeriness. The pacing was good, however - well worth having:

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2022, 11:09:23 AM
The May BBC Music Magazine is a VW 150th Birthday special. I've been enjoying the cover CD today featuring the ubiquitous John Wilson conducting symphonies 4 and 6 as well as In the Fen Country (BBC Philharmonic Orchestra). I didn't think that the performance of the 4th Symphony was anything special (I much prefer Berglund's recording) but the stand-out item for me was the 6th Symphony, which was given a fine performance although the last movement seemed too loud for me and therefore a bit lacking in spectral eeriness. The pacing was good, however - well worth having:

I do wish these recordings were available as d/ls!

Tolstoy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2022, 11:09:23 AM

I'm willing to sacrifice spectral eeriness to actually hear the music, for once! :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 20, 2022, 01:03:29 PM
I'm willing to sacrifice spectral eeriness to actually hear the music, for once! :)
;D

A good point because when I first encountered the work on a Decca Eclipse LP (LPO, Boult) I thought that there was something wrong with the LP as the sound was so recessed in the last movement. I guess that every other performance of the last movement has sounded artificially loud after that.