Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 06, 2022, 07:23:23 AM
aargh - £80 sterling plus postage - that looks fantastic but outside of my budget for now.  Let us know how it compares to the most recent(?) Warner mastering.  If you say much better I'll pretend I haven't heard you!!

;) I'm not sure when the last remastering for Boult's RVW was, but this one was done this year. Yeah, it was an expensive box set, but since I've been impressed with the other Tower Records/Warner hybrid SACD sets I own, I'm hoping to be as impressed with it as I have been with the others I own.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Roasted Swan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2022, 06:41:19 AM
Best I can say is: bully for him that he's managed to monetize his rants ... even though part of me thinks this is not much distance (methodologically) from the pointy-headed right-wing disinformation junkies.

I have to say that whatever my concerns about his content and style he is just about the ONLY person out there regularly generating any kind of content about CM.  And this is clearly fostering interest/debate/concern/outrage....... As they always say there is no such thing as bad publicity and CM needs all the rasing of awareness it can get and if he can make a buck out of CM I'm glad someone can.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2022, 07:23:55 AM
8) I have similar sets of Previn's Rachmaninov, Berglund's Sibelius (w/ Bournemouth) and Kempe's Strauss. I can tell you that the quality of these recordings and packaging is superb. I bought this Boult set because it has been newly remastered --- 2022. Definitely looking forward to hearing it!
You are a bad influence  8)
I have two of those Japanese releases (Symphony No.8 with the Concerto for Two Pianos and No.9 with the Fantasia on the Old 104th). The notes are all in Japanese - I wonder if that's the same in the new boxed set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 06, 2022, 08:28:34 AM
I have two of those Japanese releases (Symphony No.8 with the Concerto for Two Pianos and No.9 with the Fantasia on the Old 104th). The notes are all in Japanese - I wonder if that's the same in the new boxed set.

Does this mean the symphonies are are available separately? I am only really interested in remastered versions of Nos 2, 3 & 5 from the Boult cycle.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 06, 2022, 08:19:54 AM
I have to say that whatever my concerns about his content and style he is just about the ONLY person out there regularly generating any kind of content about CM.  And this is clearly fostering interest/debate/concern/outrage....... As they always say there is no such thing as bad publicity and CM needs all the rasing of awareness it can get and if he can make a buck out of CM I'm glad someone can.

Point well taken. Although part of me still cringes at the "the sweaty clown car is better than no wheels" thought.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

I took Japanese classes for three years, which with so difficult a language means, I never got to be the least use in it. Apart from surprising some tourists in a London hotel by excusing myself in Japanese (in 1987, probably)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

I'm sure this will be the case, Jeffrey, but, trust me, the sonics more than make up for a lack of English texts. ;) I'm sure there will be some English notes, but mainly in regards to tracklisting, performers and recording information.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2022, 08:58:38 AM
I'm sure this will be the case, Jeffrey, but, trust me, the sonics more than make up for a lack of English texts. ;) I'm sure there will be some English notes, but mainly in regards to tracklisting, performers and recording information.
OK thanks John.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: JBS on June 06, 2022, 06:41:56 AM
I know the feeling. I seem to be the only person on GMG who likes Manze's cycle.

As for Job--my suggestion

Elder has done it (it's coupled with Songs of Travel, but I haven't heard it. I have two installments of Elder's cycle, but they didn't impress me.

Yeah, the Manze cycle works fine for me. Happy to restate my appreciation for the Elder too, while recognising that other cycles are stronger. Give me Hickox/Davis as well, or Kees Bakels. Bryden Thomson.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

JBS

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 06, 2022, 09:48:22 AM
Yeah, the Manze cycle works fine for me. Happy to restate my appreciation for the Elder too, while recognising that other cycles are stronger. Give me Hickox/Davis as well, or Kees Bakels. Bryden Thomson.

So I'm not alone! 8)

I just got the Bakels/Daniels, but not yet listened to it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

LKB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2022, 06:26:21 AM

...In other news, I see there's a Tower Records/Warner Classics hybrid SACD release of the classic Adrian Boult cycle:

Oh boy.

As it happens, I've never owned the Boult cycle, and have been impressed with the few Japanese specialty recordings I've purchased. So this is the perfect trap, my wallet will never escape.

Somewhere, a marketing hack at Warner is twirling his mustache and snickering.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Spotted Horses

All of the CD releases of the Boult/RVW symphonies are 1989 or 1991, so a new master has the potential to be a noticeable improvement. Hopefully the new transfers will end up available for hirez download so it won't be necessary to buy the obscenely overpriced fetish Japanese release.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: LKB on June 06, 2022, 11:04:43 AM
Oh boy.

As it happens, I've never owned the Boult cycle, and have been impressed with the few Japanese specialty recordings I've purchased. So this is the perfect trap, my wallet will never escape.

Somewhere, a marketing hack at Warner is twirling his mustache and snickering.

;) ;D I think Boult's RVW cycle on Warner is one of the best and I think you will also be impressed with the performances.

LKB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2022, 11:08:34 AM
;) ;D I think Boult's RVW cycle on Warner is one of the best and I think you will also be impressed with the performances.

To clarify, I've owned Boult's recordings of Symphonies 1 & 2 for decades, but l've never heard the rest of his cycle. And I'm a BIG fan of SACDs as well.

So yeah... trapped.  :laugh:
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 06, 2022, 11:05:16 AM
All of the CD releases of the Boult/RVW symphonies are 1989 or 1991, so a new master has the potential to be a noticeable improvement. Hopefully the new transfers will end up available for hirez download so it won't be necessary to buy the obscenely overpriced fetish Japanese release.

C'mon who can resist a good fetish!!!!!!!  >:D

Mirror Image

Quote from: LKB on June 06, 2022, 11:16:09 AM
To clarify, I've owned Boult's recordings of Symphonies 1 & 2 for decades, but l've never heard the rest of his cycle. And I'm a BIG fan of SACDs as well.

So yeah... trapped.  :laugh:

:P

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 06, 2022, 11:05:16 AM

I seriously doubt this newly remastered Boult set will be available any other way. I've never seen these Tower Records/Warner Japan releases available for download. I'm glad I bought the set and it wasn't "obscenely overpriced" since 1. the recordings receive a completely new remastering, which isn't something that can be done successfully by anyone, especially since not everyone will have access to the original analog tapes like Kousuke Fujino did and 2. the materials that are made for these box sets are amazingly durable --- if you don't own one of these Tower Records/Warner SACD sets, then you clearly don't know their worth. I believe the set to be worth what I paid for it (it's actually going for a higher price from Japanese sellers on eBay for example), but it's not about the money as much as it is about the quality of the remaster and from what I've heard from this source, I have been hugely satisfied.

Maestro267

Mirror Image, I panicked for a moment when I saw your profile pic changed to commemorate the RVW anniversary. For a moment I thought "is today the day?" and had I missed it? Wikipedia says October 12th so quite some time to go yet.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 06, 2022, 12:16:36 PM
Mirror Image, I panicked for a moment when I saw your profile pic changed to commemorate the RVW anniversary. For a moment I thought "is today the day?" and had I missed it? Wikipedia says October 12th so quite some time to go yet.

No need to panic. ;) His birthday isn't until October, but the celebration will be all year long as it should be. :) It will actually give me an excuse to listen to some works of his that I don't know well at all like the operas The Poisoned Kiss and Sir John in Love for example. RVW's operatic output doesn't get discussed a lot aside from perhaps The Pilgrims' Progress and maybe Riders to the Sea (an absolute masterpiece, IMHO).