Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 13, 2022, 04:16:41 AM
I think that John (MI) didn't like No.5 on this release.

This is correct. I found the Romanza rushed. It reminded me of the brisker tempo that Previn took in his accompaniment of the Passacaglia from Shostakovich's 1st VC with Mullova. Never liked this performance either.

Irons

At last I have heard Previn's recording of the 6th Symphony uncompromised.

RCA made the frankly stupid decision to place the whole 6th symphony on one LP side. Every other recording of this symphony on LP I know of places the Epilogue finale on the reverse side. The trade-off is a curtailment of dynamics which for this symphony above all others is disastrous. The LP format has special qualities but is not without drawbacks and playing times is one.

I would not part with Previn's RVW on vinyl but for the 6th, CD every time.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 13, 2022, 08:03:09 AM
At last I have heard Previn's recording of the 6th Symphony uncompromised.

RCA made the frankly stupid decision to place the whole 6th symphony on one LP side. Every other recording of this symphony on LP I know of places the Epilogue finale on the reverse side. The trade-off is a curtailment of dynamics which for this symphony above all others is disastrous. The LP format has special qualities but is not without drawbacks and playing times is one.

I would not part with Previn's RVW on vinyl but for the 6th, CD every time.
I opted for the Boult boxed set, rather than the Previn, in my youth Lol. However, in recent years I have come to appreciate Previn's RCA recordings greatly. I consider that he is supreme in nos 3 'A Pastoral Symphony' and No.8 which has a uniquely magical quality to it. Nos 2 and 5 are as good as any and the others are all very good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 13, 2022, 08:37:44 AM
I opted for the Boult boxed set, rather than the Previn, in my youth Lol. However, in recent years I have come to appreciate Previn's RCA recordings greatly. I consider that he is supreme in nos 3 'A Pastoral Symphony' and No.8 which has a uniquely magical quality to it. Nos 2 and 5 are as good as any and the others are all very good.

In full agreement, Jeffrey. Listening to the 6th in it's pomp I thought in the imaginary fire given a choice it is Previn I would save. But after listening to the coupling, the 9th, it would be Boult I would rescue from the flames. 5 & 8 Previn is the man for me, for Sir Adrian 2, 4, 7 & 9. I think they are both great in 3 & 6. As you say both conductors produced great complete sets and we as listeners are most fortunate to have them.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 14, 2022, 07:12:55 AM
In full agreement, Jeffrey. Listening to the 6th in it's pomp I thought in the imaginary fire given a choice it is Previn I would save. But after listening to the coupling, the 9th, it would be Boult I would rescue from the flames. 5 & 8 Previn is the man for me, for Sir Adrian 2, 4, 7 & 9. I think they are both great in 3 & 6. As you say both conductors produced great complete sets and we as listeners are most fortunate to have them.
I notice that in the single release RCA CD you just get the 5th Symphony and 'The England of Elizabeth' but in the boxed set they throw in the Tuba Concerto as well. I wonder why they excluded it from the single disc release.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2022, 07:28:06 AM
I notice that in the single release RCA CD you just get the 5th Symphony and 'The England of Elizabeth' but in the boxed set they throw in the Tuba Concerto as well. I wonder why they excluded it from the single disc release.

In this reissue, you get all three works on the same disc:

P.S. This is one of my favorite RVW recordings. I have yet to hear a better 5th than Previn's on RCA.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 07:57:54 AM
In this reissue, you get all three works on the same disc:

P.S. This is one of my favorite RVW recordings. I have yet to hear a better 5th than Previn's on RCA.
That's really interesting John - many thanks. Agree about Previn in No.5. I also like Marriner, Gibson, Barbirolli (x2) and VW himself.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2022, 12:57:58 PM
That's really interesting John - many thanks. Agree about Previn in No.5. I also like Marriner, Gibson, Barbirolli (x2) and VW himself.

You're welcome, Jeffrey. Just as a side note, I received the Warner/Tower Records hybrid SACD set of the RVW Boult symphonies set today. I'll definitely let you know how the audio quality is when I get around to it. Let me say that the presentation is gorgeous and well-made. You will probably want to get this set. :D

I'll post my thoughts of the new remastering of A Sea Symphony here whenever I listen to it, which will be tonight. I'll be going through the symphonies with Boult again.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 01:14:22 PM
You're welcome, Jeffrey. Just as a side note, I received the Warner/Tower Records hybrid SACD set of the RVW Boult symphonies set today. I'll definitely let you know how the audio quality is when I get around to it. Let me say that the presentation is gorgeous and well-made. You will probably want to get this set. :D

I'll post my thoughts of the new remastering of A Sea Symphony here whenever I listen to it, which will be tonight. I'll be going through the symphonies with Boult again.
Hi John - great that the Boult set with the splendid packaging has arrived - enjoy!
Are there any notes in English? Also, I think that the RCA CD with Previn and the LSO performing Symphony No.5 the England of Elizabeth and the Tuba Concerto is a USA only release.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2022, 01:51:02 PM
Hi John - great that the Boult set with the splendid packaging has arrived - enjoy!
Are there any notes in English? Also, I think that the RCA CD with Previn and the LSO performing Symphony No.5 the England of Elizabeth and the Tuba Concerto is a USA only release.

Nope. There doesn't appear to be any notes in English aside from the tracklisting, but you should have all the liner notes already in other iterations of this cycle. ;) Ah yes, that Previn release was a US release, but if one wants to buy it, it's on Discogs. ;) I don't need it of course as I own two issues of the Previn cycle already. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 02:05:01 PM
Nope. There doesn't appear to be any notes in English aside from the tracklisting, but you should have all the liner notes already in other iterations of this cycle. ;) Ah yes, that Previn release was a US release, but if one wants to buy it, it's on Discogs. ;) I don't need it of course as I own two issues of the Previn cycle already. :)
That's true John as I have at least three other box sets featuring those Boult EMI recordings (CD) + my original LP boxed set (now 50 years old!) ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2022, 02:20:12 PM
That's true John as I have at least three other box sets featuring those Boult EMI recordings (CD) + my original LP boxed set (now 50 years old!) ::)

You're just as bad as I am! ;D

Aside from the new Warner/Tower Records set I received today, I own these issues:

The first set on the far left is my first Vaughan Williams box set. These Boult performances are what I cut my teeth on before buying other cycles. I still hold this cycle dear to my heart.

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the "Listening" thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 04:56:06 PM
Now playing:

Vaughan Williams
A Sea Symphony
John Carol Case (baritone), Sheila Armstrong (soprano)
London Philharmonic Orchestra & Choir

A London Symphony
London Philharmonic Orchestra

Sir Adrian Boult

From this newly acquired Warner/Tower Records hybrid SACD set with a new remastering -

A few quick words about the new remastering as I promised: IT IS BLOODY MARVELOUS! Spotted Horses mentioned he didn't want to pay a high dollar amount for tape hiss, well, you won't, because you're paying a high dollar amount for a remastering that is done right. ;) There is nothing overly accentuated, but it sounds like the lower frequencies have had a bit boast in them, but nothing like a "pop" record. :) Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much clarity there is in this new remastering. It sounds like it could've been recorded today. To each of the members here that have expressed an interest in this set, you will not be disappointed in the fidelity at all. BUY IT NOW!

LKB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 05:07:24 PM
Cross-posted from the "Listening" thread:

A few quick words about the new remastering as I promised: IT IS BLOODY MARVELOUS! Spotted Horses mentioned he didn't want to pay a high dollar amount for tape hiss, well, you won't, because you're paying a high dollar amount for a remastering that is done right. ;) There is nothing overly accentuated, but it sounds like the lower frequencies have had a bit boast in them, but nothing like a "pop" record. :) Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much clarity there is in this new remastering. It sounds like it could've been recorded today. To each of the members here that have expressed an interest in this set, you will not be disappointed in the fidelity at all. BUY IT NOW!

That's marvelous news. I was close to ordering the set anyway, but your review is enough to open my wallet for this new remastering. I'm glad you're enjoying it so much.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Mirror Image

Quote from: LKB on June 14, 2022, 05:40:18 PM
That's marvelous news. I was close to ordering the set anyway, but your review is enough to open my wallet for this new remastering. I'm glad you're enjoying it so much.  8)

Thanks, LKB. I don't think you'll regret this purchase at all. I bought my set through Tower Records Japan and they seem to have the best deal in terms of price and shipping:

https://tower.jp/item/5421418/%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A3%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%83%A0%E3%82%BA%EF%BC%9A%E4%BA%A4%E9%9F%BF%E6%9B%B2%E5%85%A8%E9%9B%86%EF%BC%9C%E3%82%BF%E3%83%AF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B3%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%EF%BC%9E

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 02:27:27 PM

Aside from the new Warner/Tower Records set I received today, I own these issues:

The first set on the far left is my first Vaughan Williams box set. These Boult performances are what I cut my teeth on before buying other cycles. I still hold this cycle dear to my heart.

Now I'm confused. Your second set (the one at center) contains the same symphony recordings and masterings as your first set (the one at left) except that non-symphony orchestral music is omitted. What motivated the purchase of the second set?

I had the far left set, but sold it about ten years ago when I got other RVW cycles that I liked better. I ended up getting the Boult Vaughan Williams "The Complete Recordings" this year, mainly because my regard for Boult has increased over the years and I thought I should have these recordings, particularly the oldest recordings. (I also have the Boult/RVW/Decca set.)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 14, 2022, 08:40:56 PM
Now I'm confused. Your second set (the one at center) contains the same symphony recordings and masterings as your first set (the one at left) except that non-symphony orchestral music is omitted. What motivated the purchase of the second set?

I had the far left set, but sold it about ten years ago when I got other RVW cycles that I liked better. I ended up getting the Boult Vaughan Williams "The Complete Recordings" this year, mainly because my regard for Boult has increased over the years and I thought I should have these recordings, particularly the oldest recordings. (I also have the Boult/RVW/Decca set.)

I'm afraid I have no logical explanation for owning the second set. Like you, I also own the Decca set, but I don't like it as good as these stereo recordings. I'm kind of an RVW junkie in terms of collecting (esp. the orchestral, vocal and chamber works) and I'm currently undergoing treatment at the local sanatorium. ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 02:27:27 PM

Yes, that is exactly the same as my collection excluding my old LP set (which I bought in 1972 - I had a Saturday job in a record shop and saved up for the LP set and utilised my staff discount  :))

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 09:02:02 PM
I'm afraid I have no logical explanation for owning the second set. Like you, I also own the Decca set, but I don't like it as good as these stereo recordings. I'm kind of an RVW junkie in terms of collecting (esp. the orchestral, vocal and chamber works) and I'm currently undergoing treatment at the local sanatorium. ;D
In my case it's called OCDCDCD (obsessive compulsive CD collecting disorder). As John says there is no logical reason for it. I think that I no longer have the blue box set as I sold it some years ago. Great news about the Japanese set John  :)

vandermolen