Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 12, 2022, 12:01:05 PM
Some thoughts about Vaughan Williams' String Quartet No. 2 (I listened to the Maggini performance, that was superb):

I greatly enjoyed the composition, which is very particular for the great prominence given to the viola as principal instrument instead of the violin; nonetheless it's a beautiful, meditative work, quite dark and haunting in mood for the harmonic tensions, the rhythmic and timbric variations, and the contrapuntal texture of the movements. The first movement is stormy and suggestive for the often irregular ryhtms and dynamics, as it sometimes proceeds powerfully, sometimes it abruptly calms down; the second movement continues in a gloomy atmosphere, growing in intensity till a short climax that immediately fades in a solo, first of violin, then of viola, which quietly leads to the conclusion; the Scherzo is tense and anxious, with the viola definitely prominent, while the violins and cello develop the same melodic lines just changed in key and octave; the final forth movement doesn't lose the melancholic, desolating atmosphere, but now a more serene, peaceful tinge can be perceived too, especially in the ending.

As always, a great analysis of a great work, Ilaria!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 13, 2022, 12:11:52 AM
Nice analysis! It rates IMO with the Violin Sonata as his greatest chamber work.

Despite being an "early" work, the gorgeous Piano Quintet ranks right up there for me as well (the 1st SQ is very fine too). It is filled with both youthful Romantic passion and plenty of foreshadowing of RVW's inimitable mature style. There are several passages in the work that move me greatly and never fail to give me a lump in my throat, such as the second subject of the first movement or the opening of the second. This marvelous Naxos recording is the one to beat (featuring some other lovely, lesser-known chamber works by him):

I don't agree with some of the rather sniffy reviews on Amazon.... ::)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 17, 2022, 01:20:41 PM
Four forthcoming releases as we come up to the 150th Anniversary of VW's birth on 12th October 2022:

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to hear Sir Colin Davis in No 4. Many years ago I heard him conduct Symphony No 6 in the RFH with the Philharmonia Orchestra and there is a live recording of the same work with the Bavarian Radio SO. I wasn't aware that he had other RVW works in his repertoire.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 18, 2022, 03:20:25 AM
Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to hear Sir Colin Davis in No 4. Many years ago I heard him conduct Symphony No 6 in the RFH with the Philharmonia Orchestra and there is a live recording of the same work with the Bavarian Radio SO. I wasn't aware that he had other RVW works in his repertoire.
I have two CDs of CD conducting Symphony No.6, including the Bavarian one on Orfeo.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: kyjo on August 17, 2022, 08:14:01 PM
Despite being an "early" work, the gorgeous Piano Quintet ranks right up there for me as well (the 1st SQ is very fine too). It is filled with both youthful Romantic passion and plenty of foreshadowing of RVW's inimitable mature style. There are several passages in the work that move me greatly and never fail to give me a lump in my throat, such as the second subject of the first movement or the opening of the second. This marvelous Naxos recording is the one to beat (featuring some other lovely, lesser-known chamber works by him):

I have a great fondness for the "Six Studies". Which can be for violin, viola or cello and with of course piano - take your pick (I prefer cello).
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 18, 2022, 06:38:06 AM
I have a great fondness for the "Six Studies". Which can be for violin, viola or cello and with of course piano - take your pick (I prefer cello).
Me too - it's a lovely work of which I have numerous recordings.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: kyjo on August 17, 2022, 08:06:50 PM
As always, a great analysis of a great work, Ilaria!
Quote from: kyjo on August 17, 2022, 08:14:01 PM

Thank you.  :)

I appreciate the String Quartet No. 1 a lot too; compared to the 2nd SQ, it sounds less original because of the clear Ravel influences in harmonies and colour, especially in the Allegro moderato, but there are also many echoes of the more mature VW's style emerging. The Piano Quintet is another charming, hauntingly beautiful work; the expressive possibilities of the instruments are very well combined and I like the light-dark trimbric contrasts created by piano and violin opposite to viola, cello and double bass.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Papy Oli

Tonight's "Countryfile" right now on BBC celebrates the 150th birthday of RVW at his house in Surrey, with a performance of the Lark Ascending to boot. 
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 21, 2022, 10:04:37 AM
Tonight's "Countryfile" right now on BBC celebrates the 150th birthday of RVW at his house in Surrey, with a performance of the Lark Ascending to boot.
Thanks Olivier - must watch this on 'catch up'.

Oates

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 21, 2022, 10:04:37 AM

I don't know how well his violin was miked but the outdoor solo performance sounded a bit ropey to me. What I found more disconcerting was the impression given that RVW only composed one piece of music and this was after the war. Also, during much of the first part of the report about Leith Hill Place and RVW, they played a lot of unrelated incidental music - why for God's sake?

Papy Oli

That was a bit of a damp squib after all, sorry  :-[

I posted about it when they mentioned it in the opening minutes then we had to wait for the last measly 5 or 8 minutes to see RVW being mentioned again...and I missed most of it (the house bit) because I was preparing dinner... The violin sounded even worse from the kitchen  :laugh:
Olivier

vandermolen

vandermolen

64th anniversary of VW's death today (26/08/1958)

New release: Vaughan Williams on Brass (one for Karl I suspect  :))
Includes
Flourish for Band
English Folk Song Suite
Sea Songs
Henry V
The Truth from Above
Prelude on Rhosymedre (the organ version of which was played at my wedding!)
Suite from 49th Parallel
Prelude on Three Welsh Hymns
Tuba Concerto
Variations for Brass Band
Quite a few are first recordings of new editions or arrangements - all very enjoyable. I especially like the English Folksong Suite in this version:

Gets a rave review here:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2022/Jul/RVW-brass-ALBCD052.htm

Roasted Swan

On Wenlock Edge is a very familiar and much-loved piece.  I've been listening to a few performances recently and a couple of things have struck me.  The received wisdom is how much it reflects/benefits from RVW's recent studies with Ravel.  That is true on a technical basis.  But surely the real miracle of this work is how around this time RVW really discovers his own extraordinary musical voice.  In this song cycle the fusion of Housman's evocative poetry and RVW's immersion in the folksong and heritage of the UK bursts forth quite without compare in British music at this time.  Elgar never wrote a substantial song cycle, I suppose some of Parry & Stanford's songs are of a reasonable stature but they, like Somervell's Maud are distinctly tied to the 19th century/salon tradition.  Even RVW's earlier cycle - House of Life and the wonderful Songs of Travel are likewise more of the 19th century.  The suddenly Wenlock Edge BURSTS out in a new and revelatory manner paving the way for Butterworth/Gurney/Quilter etc.

Of course there have been many fine versions of Wenlock Edge - Ian Partridge's sublime version has been my reference for many years - the absolute embodiment of the sound and aesthetic of English Song.  But much of the above has been prompted by hearing this version which was quite new to me;

James Gilchrist brings an operatic near expressionist intensity to his singing which lifts these beautiful songs out of the "folksy" slightly rum-ti-tum into something far more powerful.  Likewise the Fitzwilliam Quartet play beautifully (when required) but also with a bite and edge (pardon the pun....) that is not all that common in this work.  Superb SACD sound from LINN and a compelling programme including Warlock's profound "The Curlew" and Gurney's Housman cycle with quartet "Ludlow and Teme".  Tremendous music performed with complete conviction!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 27, 2022, 01:49:50 AM
On Wenlock Edge is a very familiar and much-loved piece.  I've been listening to a few performances recently and a couple of things have struck me.  The received wisdom is how much it reflects/benefits from RVW's recent studies with Ravel.  That is true on a technical basis.  But surely the real miracle of this work is how around this time RVW really discovers his own extraordinary musical voice.  In this song cycle the fusion of Housman's evocative poetry and RVW's immersion in the folksong and heritage of the UK bursts forth quite without compare in British music at this time.  Elgar never wrote a substantial song cycle, I suppose some of Parry & Stanford's songs are of a reasonable stature but they, like Somervell's Maud are distinctly tied to the 19th century/salon tradition.  Even RVW's earlier cycle - House of Life and the wonderful Songs of Travel are likewise more of the 19th century.  The suddenly Wenlock Edge BURSTS out in a new and revelatory manner paving the way for Butterworth/Gurney/Quilter etc.

Of course there have been many fine versions of Wenlock Edge - Ian Partridge's sublime version has been my reference for many years - the absolute embodiment of the sound and aesthetic of English Song.  But much of the above has been prompted by hearing this version which was quite new to me;

James Gilchrist brings an operatic near expressionist intensity to his singing which lifts these beautiful songs out of the "folksy" slightly rum-ti-tum into something far more powerful.  Likewise the Fitzwilliam Quartet play beautifully (when required) but also with a bite and edge (pardon the pun....) that is not all that common in this work.  Superb SACD sound from LINN and a compelling programme including Warlock's profound "The Curlew" and Gurney's Housman cycle with quartet "Ludlow and Teme".  Tremendous music performed with complete conviction!
Nice analysis RS. Yes, it's a fine CD.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2022, 07:22:27 AM

Includes
Flourish for Band
English Folk Song Suite
Sea Songs
Henry V
The Truth from Above
Suite from 49th Parallel
Tuba Concerto
Quite a few are first recordings of new editions or arrangements - all very enjoyable. I especially like the English Folksong Suite in this version:

Gets a rave review here:

Looks very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2022, 07:22:27 AM

Includes
Flourish for Band
English Folk Song Suite
Sea Songs
Henry V
The Truth from Above
Suite from 49th Parallel
Tuba Concerto

Gets a rave review here:

Another review here, Jeffrey.
http://landofllostcontent.blogspot.com/2022/08/vaughan-williams-on-brass.html
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot