Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on November 02, 2008, 10:09:40 PM
I suspect they sang the original Tallis piece with the original words. But hopefully Jeffrey will put us all out of our misery...  :)

Sorry Johan but I'm not too sure as it was a complete surprise and there was nothing in the Programme notes about it. It was very familiar from my record of the Tallis and I think that what you say above is correct.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: G$ on November 02, 2008, 06:29:29 PM
Real quick......what does everyone think about the finale of the 9th?

Heard it live yesterday. Wonderful, fantastic. Those last great chords looming up out of the darkness I find very moving. An extraordinary work by any standards let alone one written by someone in their mid eighties.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2008, 11:12:27 PM
More's the point Colin, how did my wife endure so much VW? She loved Tallis and Symphony No 5+ the Shakespeare Songs however, so I am off the hook (for now). There were two 2o minute intervals, so it was a bit of a marathon.

If I may chip in - it's obvious your wife likes Beauty, whereas you also like the Beast in music...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on November 02, 2008, 11:32:40 PM
If I may chip in - it's obvious your wife likes Beauty, whereas you also like the Beast in music...

And in art (as in my choice of Corinth paintings in the diner section).

greg

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on November 02, 2008, 07:04:01 PM
If you don't mind taking a little bit of time, you can read back through this thread. Luke was quite eloquent about the 9th and its finale. At some point I weighed in about what I like about the ending.
Ok, I'll try to find it.  :)

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2008, 11:18:20 PM
Heard it live yesterday. Wonderful, fantastic. Those last great chords looming up out of the darkness I find very moving. An extraordinary work by any standards let alone one written by someone in their mid eighties.
Live, yesterday? lol, what a  coincidence.  ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on November 02, 2008, 10:09:40 PM
I suspect they sang the original Tallis piece with the original words.

I remember that verse translation of the Psalm being something of a moufful . . . happily I've never been required to sing the abbreviated archaic verb fum'th  ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: knight on November 02, 2008, 10:34:42 PM
I may be proved wrong in this; but my understanding is that the orig Tallis setting alone uses the full version of his music: the third of Nine Tunes for Archbishop Parker's Psalter. 'Why Fum'th in fight the Gentiles spite.'

It is a long time since I heard VWs setting from the English Hymnal, but I seem to recall it was an adaptation; rather than Tallis' complete music simply being set to new words.

I never knew that about an adaptation, Mike;  whenever I've heard the Tallis hymn sung, though, it's been with the text "I heard the voice of Jesus say."

Christo

@ all: As stated somewhere in this thread before, I think the words Vaughan Williams really had in mind are those from a hymn from 1712 by Joseph Adison on the same melody by Thomas Tallis, and especially its first line: "When rising from the bed of death".

I hope this was the text Hickox made the choir sing, Jeffrey?

For Addison's complete verse, see: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/w/r/wriftbod.htm (with the music added for free, in a superb performance, much to Luke's appreciation ;-) ). 

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

If you like VW's music can I recommend the Viola Concerto by his pupil, Stanley Bate(1911-69), just issued on the Dutton label.

I have written more about it on the W.H. Bell thread ;D

Bate was described as an "eclectic" and the huge concerto is certainly that but........! Recommended :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Christo on November 03, 2008, 10:58:18 AM
@ all: As stated somewhere in this thread before, I think the words Vaughan Williams really had in mind are those from a hymn from 1712 by Joseph Adison on the same melody by Thomas Tallis, and especially its first line: "When rising from the bed of death".

I hope this was the text Hickox made the choir sing, Jeffrey?

For Addison's complete verse, see: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/w/r/wriftbod.htm (with the music added for free, in a superb performance, much to Luke's appreciation ;-) ). 

Splendid, thank you, Christo!

scarpia

Isn't it lovely to have post after post after post of people offering the genial congratulations to each other for being so perceptive as lot admire Vaughan Williams.  Good that we're past those unpleasant times when someone would throw a monkey wrench into the works by expressing a dissenting view.

karlhenning

Personally, I think singing fum'th is utterly barbarous.

knight66

Quote from: scarpia on November 03, 2008, 11:17:11 AM
Isn't it lovely to have post after post after post of people offering the genial congratulations to each other for being so perceptive as lot admire Vaughan Williams.  Good that we're past those unpleasant times when someone would throw a monkey wrench into the works by expressing a dissenting view.

Good to know that you are in that kind of mood. There are, as you know; ways and ways of expressing dissenting views. Unpleasant, divisive posts will not be left intact.

Knight

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Christo

@Karl, my most genial congratulations for your scarp insights!
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

scarpia

Quote from: knight on November 03, 2008, 11:27:00 AM
Good to know that you are in that kind of mood. There are, as you know; ways and ways of expressing dissenting views. Unpleasant, divisive posts will not be left intact.
Is that supposed to be a threat?

knight66

It is a matter of policy here. We will not be having another outbreak of the kind of aggression that we have just eliminated; the kind of behaviour you have several times said recently that you enjoyed at least watching.

So, perhaps you have some remarks to make about the composer who is subject of this thread rather than the people writing the posts?

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

scarpia

Quote from: knight on November 03, 2008, 01:45:16 PM
It is a matter of policy here. We will not be having another outbreak of the kind of aggression that we have just eliminated; the kind of behaviour you have several times said recently that you enjoyed at least watching.

So, perhaps you have some remarks to make about the composer who is subject of this thread rather than the people writing the posts?

Knight

No, I have no further remarks to make.
I agree with Luke's sentiments, why waste my time here?

Catison

It appears we are clearing out the wind machines. ;)
-Brett

adamdavid80

Quote from: Catison on November 03, 2008, 02:28:33 PM
It appears we are clearing out the wind machines. ;)

So long as you're not going out of your way to dance on anyone's grave...
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

Catison

Quote from: adamdavid80 on November 03, 2008, 02:35:03 PM
So long as you're not going out of your way to dance on anyone's grave...

Yeah, I was mean, but some puns are irresistible.
-Brett