Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Catison on November 03, 2008, 03:34:42 PM
Yeah, I was mean, but some puns are irresistible.

I know the condition...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

A strong recommendation for Stanley Bate's Viola Concerto (Dutton) for VW fans. It is derivative in places but still a great work (c 40minutes). I have enjoyed it the most of the three recent Dutton releases, although they are all good (the Crossley-Holland symphony a bit like Rubbra.. v nice gentle work). I'm sure that Colin will tell you more.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2008, 11:21:33 PM
A strong recommendation for Stanley Bate's Viola Concerto (Dutton) for VW fans. It is derivative in places but still a great work (c 40minutes). I have enjoyed it the most of the three recent Dutton releases, although they are all good (the Crossley-Holland symphony a bit like Rubbra.. v nice gentle work). I'm sure that Colin will tell you more.

Yes, I can't stop playing VW(sorry Bate's ;D) Viola Concerto! Derivative-at times almost pastiche but not quite :) There are passages for full orchestra which sound just like VW's 6th or the Bloch of Schelomo. It is however a lovely work-it flows :)

The Crossley-Holland sounds like Rubbra? Can't wait to put that cd on!

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 04, 2008, 03:57:28 AM
Yes, I can't stop playing VW(sorry Bate's ;D) Viola Concerto! Derivative-at times almost pastiche but not quite :) There are passages for full orchestra which sound just like VW's 6th or the Bloch of Schelomo. It is however a lovely work-it flows :)

The Crossley-Holland sounds like Rubbra? Can't wait to put that cd on!

Totally agree with your view of the Bate VC. Spot on. I would love to hear his Symphony 3 or 4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on November 04, 2008, 08:04:19 AM
Totally agree with your view of the Bate VC. Spot on. I would love to hear his Symphony 3 or 4.

Delighted that you share my enthusiasm for the Bate, Jeffrey (and I notice that you like Casper David Friedrich too. Will it never end ;D)

I am not going to write a long comment on the Crossley-Holland Symphony except to say that I thought it a very pleasant, old-fashioned but overlong piece. It did not grab me, so to speak, but I am certainly glad to have the opportunity to listen to it again. The Ireland and Goossens' minatures with which it is coupled try my patience unfortunately! I am not a great lover of these sort of inconsequential salon pieces which were once so popular(Elgar, of course, composed a number also). They just blur into a sort of Palm Court miasma as far as I am concerned!
Bournemouth or Eastbourne in the summer season ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 04, 2008, 08:21:45 AM
Delighted that you share my enthusiasm for the Bate, Jeffrey (and I notice that you like Casper David Friedrich too. Will it never end ;D)

I am not going to write a long comment on the Crossley-Holland Symphony except to say that I thought it a very pleasant, old-fashioned but overlong piece. It did not grab me, so to speak, but I am certainly glad to have the opportunity to listen to it again. The Ireland and Goossens' minatures with which it is coupled try my patience unfortunately! I am not a great lover of these sort of inconsequential salon pieces which were once so popular(Elgar, of course, composed a number also). They just blur into a sort of Palm Court miasma as far as I am concerned!
Bournemouth or Eastbourne in the summer season ;D

I have to say Colin that I give anything entitled "Salon Piece" a miss, whereas the other pieces on the Bate CD I enjoyed. Today I received a second hand copy of Bell's South African Symphony (Marco Polo). So, in answer to your question; no, it will never end  ;D :)

vandermolen

Another plug for this Dutton Labs CD which I have been playing every day. The Stanley Bate is very derivative of Vaughan Williams, but, as Colin says, not entirely. There are also echoes of Moeran and Shostakovich but I think that it is a great (as in very enjoyable) work. The other thing about this CD is that all the works are excellent, including the VW Romance (not the Harmonica work) and W H Bell's touching Rosa Mystica.

Dundonnell

A most moving clip of the late, sadly lamented Richard Hickox discussing the performance of VW's 'Pilgrim's Progress' which he conducted to huge critical acclaim earlier this year-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S70g9lOya-o&feature=related

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 24, 2008, 02:05:35 PM
A most moving clip of the late, sadly lamented Richard Hickox discussing the performance of VW's 'Pilgrim's Progress' which he conducted to huge critical acclaim earlier this year-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S70g9lOya-o&feature=related

Just watched it. Hickox was right it was a 'spiritual and radiant experience that (I) will never forget'. I'm so glad that I decided to see it as my birthday treat back in June this year.  Thanks for posting it Colin.

ChamberNut

YES!!

I've just received the EMI box set of Sir Adrian Boult w/LPO recordings of Vaughan Williams symphonies and orchestral works.

Had to immediately play the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.   :)

Next up, I think I'll pop in Symphony No. 6  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 18, 2009, 05:59:01 AM
YES!!

I've just received the EMI box set of Sir Adrian Boult w/LPO recordings of Vaughan Williams symphonies and orchestral works.

Had to immediately play the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.   :)

Next up, I think I'll pop in Symphony No. 6  :)

It is a great box - underrated I think in relation to the earlier Decca recordings. I especially like symphonies 2, 4 and 9 in the EMI set but they are all good.

vandermolen

This is a very nice CD of historic recordings made from old 78s from VW's own collection of records. It is very cheap too. Highly recommended, especially if you enjoy historical recordings. I have always liked Old King Cole!

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDBP9790&cat=385

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2009, 07:52:49 AM
This is a very nice CD of historic recordings made from old 78s from VW's own collection of records. It is very cheap too. Highly recommended, especially if you enjoy historical recordings. I have always liked Old King Cole!

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDBP9790&cat=385

He speaks very highly of you too, Jeffrey ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 21, 2009, 08:43:46 AM
He speaks very highly of you too, Jeffrey ;D

We are old friends Colin  ;D

J

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2008, 11:14:24 AM
Another plug for this Dutton Labs CD which I have been playing every day. The Stanley Bate is very derivative of Vaughan Williams, but, as Colin says, not entirely. There are also echoes of Moeran and Shostakovich but I think that it is a great (as in very enjoyable) work. The other thing about this CD is that all the works are excellent, including the VW Romance (not the Harmonica work) and W H Bell's touching Rosa Mystica.

I can't go nearly so far as Colin & Jeffrey in their praise of Bate's Viola Concerto (I think Jeffrey went even further elsewhere and called it "a magnificent score").  I've listened to the piece perhaps a dozen times now, and for what it's worth my own response is rather mixed.  There's some very inspired and beautiful music here I feel, but plenty also of what is sometimes called "note-spinning". In the 2nd movement for example, the basic theme and opening four minutes are captivatingly beautiful and first-rate.  But almost right at that point (4') the quality of the music noticeably changes (IMO), the inspiration disappears, and everything becomes rather prolix and tedious, and my attention wanders until just about the 8' mark where the opening music returns and brings me back.  The same thing happens in the 1rst movement (and to a large extent the 4rth) - initial involvement and enthusiasm that isn't sustained - but returns at the end.  I have little capacity for musical analysis, but I believe in what's called the "development phase" of the three long movements (1,2,&4), where Bate elaborates on and complexifies his themes, the music is lacking, - it's prosaic, and often too loud and over-saturated.  He can't really carry things through with the same inspiration he starts with, and that compromises my enjoyment of the piece severely.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on March 11, 2009, 11:44:40 AM
I can't go nearly so far as Colin & Jeffrey in their praise of Bate's Viola Concerto (I think Jeffrey went even further elsewhere and called it "a magnificent score").  I've listened to the piece perhaps a dozen times now, and for what it's worth my own response is rather mixed.  There's some very inspired and beautiful music here I feel, but plenty also of what is sometimes called "note-spinning". In the 2nd movement for example, the basic theme and opening four minutes are captivatingly beautiful and first-rate.  But almost right at that point (4') the quality of the music noticeably changes (IMO), the inspiration disappears, and everything becomes rather prolix and tedious, and my attention wanders until just about the 8' mark where the opening music returns and brings me back.  The same thing happens in the 1rst movement (and to a large extent the 4rth) - initial involvement and enthusiasm that isn't sustained - but returns at the end.  I have little capacity for musical analysis, but I believe in what's called the "development phase" of the three long movements (1,2,&4), where Bate elaborates on and complexifies his themes, the music is lacking, - it's prosaic, and often too loud and over-saturated.  He can't really carry things through with the same inspiration he starts with, and that compromises my enjoyment of the piece severely.

Interesting analysis -thank you. In one of the postings above, I said that it was great - in the sense that I enjoyed it very much - which I still do.

pjme

On 4 and 5 april : two performances of Dona nobis pacem ( near Antwerp) ! A good ( and quite brave!) idea. I'll be there.

Programma

Ouverture tot 'Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg'   R. Wagner      
Adagio for strings   S. Barber         
Les Préludes   F. Liszt

Dona Nobis Pacem    R. Vaughan Williams

Euregio Jeugdorkest

Annelies Meskens, soprano

Frank Hermans, baritone

Eindhovens Kamerkoor, voorbereid door Wolgang Lange

Musica Nova uit Boom, voorbereid door Paul Dinneweth

Tilburgs Vocaal Ensemble uit Tilburg, voorbereid door Ramon van
   den Boom

Conductor: Hans Casteleyn

J

Quote from: vandermolen on March 12, 2009, 03:58:46 AM
Interesting analysis -thank you. In one of the postings above, I said that it was great - in the sense that I enjoyed it very much - which I still do.

Do the movements "hold up" from start to finish in your experience, or do you find significant lapses in the middle sections like I do?

Have you had any awareness of seriously flagging attention for considerable stretches while listening?

Lethevich

Quote from: pjme on March 12, 2009, 07:36:57 AM
Ouverture tot 'Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg'   R. Wagner      
Adagio for strings   S. Barber         
Les Préludes   F. Liszt   
Dona Nobis Pacem    R. Vaughan Williams

Neat lineup - it has something for everybody.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Dundonnell

Quote from: J on March 12, 2009, 03:37:06 PM
Do the movements "hold up" from start to finish in your experience, or do you find significant lapses in the middle sections like I do?

Have you had any awareness of seriously flagging attention for considerable stretches while listening?

I know that you are addressing this question to Jeffrey- but I certainly cannot recall my attention flagging while listening to the Bate Viola Concerto(unlike, I have to sadly admit, the Arthur Butterworth Viola Concerto).

I shall listen to it again though to see if I can find substance to your argument :)