Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Scarpia on October 28, 2009, 01:16:58 PM
The VW piano concerto is apparently available in a revised version for two pianos.  Both versions are only available in a few recordings.

So much of Vaughan Williams's work is (a) regularly in the repertory, and (b) amply recorded — and his catalogue is substantial enough — that I am not sure we can consider the fact that the piano concerto has suffered relative neglect constitutes a genuine failure on the part of the piece.

Benji

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 29, 2009, 05:03:33 AM
So much of Vaughan Williams's work is (a) regularly in the repertory, and (b) amply recorded — and his catalogue is substantial enough — that I am not sure we can consider the fact that the piano concerto has suffered relative neglect constitutes a genuine failure on the part of the piece.

Dr Karl! I'm sure what you really mean is that there aren't enough Vaughan Williams recordings, so we really, really need more. The catalogue is just not substantial enough I say! *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

In all seriousness though, I would really love to hear a new cycle from a non-British orchestra/conductor. Is anyone aware of any non-Brit conductor who includes the symphonies in his repertoire?

And who do we think could do it justice? Sinfonia Lahti - Vanska? San Francisco - MTT? What would be your dream combination?

karlhenning

Quote from: Benji on October 29, 2009, 05:42:28 AM
Dr Karl! I'm sure what you really mean is that there aren't enough Vaughan Williams recordings, so we really, really need more. The catalogue is just not substantial enough I say! *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

Well, that's one of the things I really meant.  It's in an appendix to the latest  Dan Brown novel . . . .

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Benji on October 29, 2009, 05:42:28 AM
Is anyone aware of any non-Brit conductor who includes the symphonies in his repertoire?

Well hey, Haitink and Slatkin both recorded complete cycles, so it looks like your wish has already come true  0:)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Benji

Quote from: Contents Under Pressure on October 29, 2009, 05:55:12 AM
Well hey, Haitink and Slatkin both recorded complete cycles, so it looks like your wish has already come true  0:)

I adore Haitink's cycle (well, most of it)! Slatkin... not what i've heard. I suppose Previn isn't British either, even though I always think of him that way (thanks to Morcombe and Wise).

But those cycles were all with British orchestras (except that Icelandic fellow whose name I forget...P..?).

Who do we want a new cycle from? Something completely fresh and without any British interference that doesn't come from directly from the music?

PerfectWagnerite

Let's see, you already have Handley, Thomson, Boult (x2), Haitink, Slatkin, Haitink, Previn. Between these and the orchestras they recorded with you have British and non-British orchestras covered to the bone. For such mediocre music you are flooded with choices. You really need another cycle? And who is going to record it other than a British orchestra and/or conductor. Non-british orchestras wouldn't touch this music with the proverbial 10 foot pole.

karlhenning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 29, 2009, 06:14:22 AM
. . . For such mediocre music you are flooded with choices.

Oh, puh-leeeze.

Benji

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 29, 2009, 06:14:22 AM
Let's see, you already have Handley, Thomson, Boult (x2), Haitink, Slatkin, Haitink, Previn. Between these and the orchestras they recorded with you have British and non-British orchestras covered to the bone. For such mediocre music you are flooded with choices. You really need another cycle? And who is going to record it other than a British orchestra and/or conductor. Non-british orchestras wouldn't touch this music with the proverbial 10 foot pole.

Though I thank you for your valuable contribution to our thread, I'm respectfully filing your opinion under B, then S.  ;)

Anyone else?

Dana

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 29, 2009, 06:14:22 AMMy opinions on Vaughan-Williams are misinformed, and I don't know what good music is. Also, I am a bad person.

:o A philistine??!!

STONE HIM!!!!!

PerfectWagnerite

If you are going to make up some dumb-ass quote at least get the guy's name right. It's Vaughan Williams, not Vaughan-Williams.

Brahmsian

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 29, 2009, 07:27:11 AM
If you are going to make up some dumb-ass quote at least get the guy's name right. It's Vaughan Williams, not Vaughan-Williams.

I think that was part of the joke.  (I'm guessing) ;D

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Brahmsian on October 29, 2009, 07:28:29 AM
I think that was part of the joke. 
Somehow I seriously doubt that.

karlhenning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 29, 2009, 07:29:18 AM
Somehow I seriously doubt that.

Right; it's simply a matter of not caring about the music, nor about the composer, and parading your disinterest as some sort of virtue.

PerfectWagnerite

I have both the Thomson and Previn cycle and some of the Slatkin and Boult. I have listened to each at least 3-5 times over the past 10 years and I don't think it is great music. Probably a bit better than Elgar but not as good was Walton. The 4th and 9th are very good. The 6th has its moments, but others range from okay (3 and 5) to dreadful (1 and 7).

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 29, 2009, 03:49:44 AM
I own five versions: Handley/Shelley, Handley/Lane, Thomson/Shelley, Menhuin/Markam & Broadway (sounds like an intersection, not a piano duo  ;D ) and Boult/Vronsky & Babin. Is there any reason I should consider adding this Naxos recording...I mean other than the gorgeous cover  ;)

Sarge

Any comment on the relative merits of those recordings? 

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on October 29, 2009, 07:53:42 AM
Any comment on the relative merits of those recordings? 

Not at the moment--I haven't done a comparative listen. In fact, it's been a long time since I listened to most of the recordings (and I've never heard the Boult...one of the drawbacks of owning the huge EMI box: things tend to get lost, be forgotten). I've begun to recitify that. Listened to the Menuhin earlier today.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Ah, the divine Hepzibah . . . .

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Contents Under Pressure on October 29, 2009, 05:55:12 AM
Well hey, Haitink and Slatkin both recorded complete cycles, so it looks like your wish has already come true  0:)

Previn's been mentioned. And Kees Bakels recorded a cycle, too, with the Bournemouth SO. He's Dutch.

Sarge

Benji

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 29, 2009, 08:49:14 AM
Previn's been mentioned. And Kees Bakels recorded a cycle, too, with the Bournemouth SO. He's Dutch.

Sarge

Bakels! That's who I was thinking of. I was confusing him with the Icelandic guy who actually recorded Sibelius for Naxos, not RVW.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 29, 2009, 07:47:20 AM
I have both the Thomson and Previn cycle and some of the Slatkin and Boult. I have listened to each at least 3-5 times over the past 10 years and I don't think it is great music. Probably a bit better than Elgar but not as good was Walton. The 4th and 9th are very good. The 6th has its moments, but others range from okay (3 and 5) to dreadful (1 and 7).

Since 3, 5 and 6 are generally considered the composers best, I thnk your idea about what is good and bad about VW is just a wee bit skewed towards personal taste, PW  ;)  Having said that, my own favorites are 4 and 9, along with that superb little oddball Eighth.

Sarge