Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on August 07, 2011, 06:51:58 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom the 4th sounds like exciting film music! For me, it is the opening to a grim film noir. RVW's film music came towards the end of his career, prompted by the patriotic demands of WW2. His 7th "Antartica" is the most obviously "filmic", being developed from music he wrote for Scott of the Antarctic. (For film music haters, it should be pointed out that stylistically RVW was generally 10 years ahead of cinematic trends.)

I recommend the Previn's uber-romantic cycle (esp. 2, 3, 5, 7 (most epic ever) & 9), supplemented with Marriner's 2-disc set of orchestral music (inc. Tallis, and Lark with Iona Brown).
Of the other cycles, Boult is best in the aggressive 4 and 6, and Handley surprises with deeply felt 3 and 5, but otherwise I find them rather stiff and underplaying the emotions. Thomson is generally thick and stodgy (sorry MI) but his 5 is good and I love his 8. Haitink seems highly rated by people who value sound over passion; nothing Wrong with it as such but he's just not as deeply in the music as the others. Davis is generally dismissed except for 6 - the sound is wonderfully dark but I don't find the actual performance exceptional.
Haven't heard Hickox; planning to get Slatkin.

It doesn't bother that other people don't like Thomson. We all have different ears my friend.

Previn's cycle would have been much better received by myself had the audio beeen good, but it's not. Horrible is the adjective I would use to describe it actually. Slatkin is another one that suffers from scrappy audio. Handley's 5th was never that impressive to me. Thomson, Boult (EMI), and Previn (Telarc) remain the best 5ths I've heard. Haitink's is actually pretty good, but not great. I like Andrew Davis's cycle on Warner.

Here's a breakdown on what I think are the best performances of each symphony:

A Sea Symphony - Hickox/Philharmonia/EMI
A London Symphony - Hickox/LSO/Chandos
A Pastoral Symphony - Thomson/LSO/Chandos
Symphony No. 4 - Bernstein/NYPO/Sony
Symphony No. 5 - Previn/RPO/Telarc
Symphony No. 6 - Davis/BBCSO/Warner
Symphony No. 7 - Handley/RLPO/EMI
Symphony No. 8 - Thomson/LSO/Chandos
Symphony No. 9 - Thomson/LSO/Chandos

Lethevich

Ooh an opportunity to make lists - I cannot pass this up ;D

1 - Boult/Handley/Haitink
2 - Hickox*/Boult
3 - Bakels/Boult I/Thomson
4 - Berglund*/Mitropoulos
5 - Boult II/Thomson/Gibson/Previn II
6 - Berglund*/Handley/Stokowski
7 - Handley/Haitink
8 - Handley/Barbirolli '57
9 - Boult I/Thomson

*Denotes the three performances I consider most remarkable. While I love all the others, these are ones that go above and beyond in terms of offering something truly different from the masses.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on August 07, 2011, 08:12:46 PM

1 - Boult/Handley/Haitink
2 - Hickox*/Boult
3 - Bakels/Boult I/Thomson
4 - Berglund*/Mitropoulos
5 - Boult II/Thomson/Gibson/Previn II
6 - Berglund*/Handley/Stokowski
7 - Handley/Haitink
8 - Handley/Barbirolli '57
9 - Boult I/Thomson

*Denotes the three performances I consider most remarkable. While I love all the others, these are ones that go above and beyond in terms of offering something truly different from the masses.

A great list, Lethe. Interesting choice in the 5th for Gibson. This isn't a bad performance. If I recall it's coupled with Berglund's recordings of the 4th and 6th.

eyeresist

Lethe, you listmaker, you. Get the Previn. If you like the Berglund/Gibson set, I think you'll like the warmth of Previn's style.

Lethevich

@eyeresist: aaaghh not more ;D I'm getting semi-close to amassing every cycle - the ones I lack are Davis (all), Previn (all), Hickox (part) and Slatkin (part). I think Hickox is the biggest priority at the moment, although everybody keeps mentionign Previn - I will cave in eventually.

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 07, 2011, 08:16:56 PM
A great list, Lethe. Interesting choice in the 5th for Gibson. This isn't a bad performance. If I recall it's coupled with Berglund's recordings of the 4th and 6th.

I have problems picking fifths - performances of the piece all tend to be very solid, but there appears to be little interpretive wiggle-room for conductors to distinguish themselves. The Gibson had a certain nobility to it that I found appealing. That problem in picking "different" fifths was the reason I added Previn II - I don't all that much care for the emotional side of it - I feel that it skims the surface a little - but the sheer sound of the performance is gorgeous. The Berglund recordings I like for the uniqueness of the concept - a bit like Celibidache's Bruckner, he finds a different approach to the music which had been totally unexplored before then. The recorded sound is also plenty good.

Mirror Image

No, Lethe, pass on the Previn. Horrendous audio.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on August 07, 2011, 08:24:17 PM
@eyeresist: aaaghh not more ;D I'm getting semi-close to amassing every cycle - the ones I lack are Davis (all), Previn (all), Hickox (part) and Slatkin (part). I think Hickox is the biggest priority at the moment, although everybody keeps mentionign Previn - I will cave in eventually.

I have problems picking fifths - performances of the piece all tend to be very solid, but there appears to be little interpretive wiggle-room for conductors to distinguish themselves. The Gibson had a certain nobility to it that I found appealing. That problem in picking "different" fifths was the reason I added Previn II - I don't all that much care for the emotional side of it - I feel that it skims the surface a little - but the sheer sound of the performance is gorgeous. The Berglund recordings I like for the uniqueness of the concept - a bit like Celibidache's Bruckner, he finds a different approach to the music which had been totally unexplored before then. The recorded sound is also plenty good.

The rest of Hickox's performances aren't really up to par with my own standards. The audio surprisingly on the rest of his RVW recordings on Chandos weren't really that great. Kind of dull sound throughout. The 5th is an enigmatic work whose heart is found in the Romanza section. If you have a Romanza section that isn't played to the music's fullest potential, then it comes off sounding hackneyed like Handley's performance did. This work needs a conductor who understands the elusive nature of this work.

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 07, 2011, 08:25:48 PM
No, Lethe, pass on the Previn. Horrendous audio.
No, pass on the Mirror. Horrendous Image.

Listening to the 3rd under Previn now. Admittedly of its time, but otherwise sounds perfectly fine.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on August 07, 2011, 08:42:27 PM
No, pass on the Mirror. Horrendous Image.

Listening to the 3rd under Previn now. Admittedly of its time, but otherwise sounds perfectly fine.

Lethe, will have a difficult time getting the Previn anyway. It's out-of-print and quite expensive. She could probably go the single release route, but I think some of these are out-of-print as well.

I've owned this set for quite some time and listened through it twice. The performances were generally very good, but the audio, especially in the strings were incredibly lackluster.

By the way, it's not just my ears deceiving me, this is the general problem with this set as I have read many others complain about the audio as well.

Lethevich

I'm not too fussed about sound - my hearing isn't perfect, sadly. The question of whether I can own or hear the Previn set are distinct matters, I'm sure it's piratable, but eventually I'd like to own it if it comes back into print at a normal price.

Strange how Previn seems to have had audio problems with two distinct labels. I absolutely hated* his re-recording of the London Symphony due to the ridiculous dynamic range.

*It takes a lot to rise me above apathy.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on August 07, 2011, 08:53:05 PM
I'm not too fussed about sound - my hearing isn't perfect, sadly. The question of whether I can own or hear the Previn set are distinct matters, I'm sure it's piratable, but eventually I'd like to own it if it comes back into print at a normal price.

Strange how Previn seems to have had audio problems with two distinct labels. I absolutely hated* his re-recording of the London Symphony due to the ridiculous dynamic range.

*It takes a lot to rise me above apathy.

I never bothered with Previn's London Symphony recording for that very reason. Too many complaints about it. You may find the Previn on RCA in the used market. It's got a pretty hefty price tag right now.

eyeresist

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on August 07, 2011, 08:53:05 PM
I absolutely hated* his re-recording of the London Symphony due to the ridiculous dynamic range.

:) Yes, I remember my first listen to that.

Press play.

One minute later, thinks:  "When is the music going to start?"

EDIT: The Previn cycle is admittedly very rare at the moment.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 06, 2011, 08:55:33 AM
RVW was very careful not to explain the meanings behind his symphonies.

Maybe in some cases . . . there was no "meaning" behind a symphony (* gasp *)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on August 07, 2011, 08:12:46 PM

Me neither  :D  And I haven't made a new list since acquiring several more VW cycles (Bakels, Thomson, Slatkin, Boult Decca). So, today, my favorites (with runnerups):

1 - Slatkin (tremendous organ presence)
     Boult (Decca)
     Haitink

2 - Hickox
     Barbirolli (Dutton)
     Thomson
     Boult (EMI)

3 - Boult (Decca)
     Haitink
     Previn

4 - Bernstein
     Boult (Decca)
     Slatkin

5 - Menuhin
     Previn (Telarc)
     Barbirolli

6 - Boult (Decca)
     Davis
     Berglund

7 - Haitink
     Previn

8 - Haitink
     Barbirolli (Dutton)
     Handley
     Thomson

9 - Haitink
     Bakels
     Thomson

As a whole I really enjoyed Thomson but none of the performances knocked out my favorites.  Living a few more months with the Thomson box has made me revise my opinion: I have to add his 2, 8 and 9 to my favorites.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

Seems like I should buy the Boult Decca set, currently available for at tenner ( £ that is).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on August 08, 2011, 04:51:44 AM
Seems like I should buy the Boult Decca set, currently available for at tenner ( £ that is).

I resisted for years, being content with Boult EMI. I was wrong, the majority right: in most cases the earlier accounts are superior. Still like EMI though. It's comfortable.

Sarge

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 08, 2011, 04:55:33 AM
I resisted for years, being content with Boult EMI. I was wrong, the majority right: in most cases the earlier accounts are superior. Still like EMI though. It's comfortable.

Sarge
I have the EMI set and it has always been my go-to RVW.  No other complete sets, but several single discs by Haitink, Bakels and Slatkin.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: eyeresist on August 07, 2011, 06:51:58 PM
Haitink seems highly rated by people who value sound over passion; nothing Wrong with it as such but he's just not as deeply in the music as the others.

Utterly disagree with this.

Sarge

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 08, 2011, 04:49:44 AM
Me neither  :D  And I haven't made a new list since acquiring several more VW cycles (Bakels, Thomson, Slatkin, Boult Decca). So, today, my favorites (with runnerups):

1 - Slatkin (tremendous organ presence)
     Boult Decca
     Haitink

2 - Hickox
     Barbirolli (Dutton)

3 - Boult (Decca)
     Haitink

4 - Bernstein
     Slatkin

5 - Menuhin
     Previn (Telarc)

6 - Boult (Decca)
     Davis

7 - Haitink
     Previn

8 - Haitink
     Barbirolli (Dutton)
     Handley

9 - Haitink
     Bakels

As a whole I really enjoyed Thomson but none of the performances knocked out my favorites.

Glad to see Haitink in the running in so many of the symphonies, Sarge!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 08, 2011, 05:11:06 AM
Glad to see Haitink in the running in so many of the symphonies, Sarge!

Boult and the Dutchman go to the desert island  8)

Sarge