Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2014, 06:48:11 AM
Yes, Daniel. The 4th is a masterpiece IMHO. You should hear Bernstein conduct this symphony. Truly an explosive performance. 8)

Quote from: vandermolen on January 05, 2014, 11:59:06 AM
Oh yes and also the version by Paavo Berglund which was the No. 1 choice for BBC Record Review's 'Building a Library'

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2014, 12:00:17 PM
A damn fine performance as well no doubt. I need to revisit this one actually and Berglund's 6th while I'm at it. Thanks for the reminder, Jeffrey. 8)

Poor Daniel...so many recommendations  ;D  The last time I did a comparative listen to the Fourth, Bernstein, Boult (Decca) and Slatkin came out 1, 2, 3. But I should relisten to Berglund; a performance often mentioned favorably.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 05, 2014, 12:09:48 PM
Poor Daniel...so many recommendations  ;D  The last time I did a comparative listen to the Fourth, Bernstein, Boult (Decca) and Slatkin came out 1, 2, 3. But I should relisten to Berglund; a performance often mentioned favorably.

Sarge

I wish I had the money to satisfy them! I need to get some more students.. :p

I've heard about Berglund being particularly good so I would be very keen to hear. :)

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 05, 2014, 12:02:40 PM
My pleasure John! I have now posted a waspy image of the CD (a great CD, I think) above.

I think the only disagreement we share, in regards to this 2-CD EMI set, is the performance of Gibson's 5th which I found rather uninspired and given that there are so many better options available, I can see how someone could overlook this performance.

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 05, 2014, 12:14:21 PM
I wish I had the money to satisfy them! I need to get some more students.. :p

I've heard about Berglund being particularly good so I would be very keen to hear. :)

In due time, young Jedi, in due time...8)

Lisztianwagner

Moderato Pesante from Vaughan Williams' Symphony No.3 is absolutely wonderful; I listened to the whole symphony for the first time and I enjoyed it very much, but the third movement particularly mesmerized me, I heard it several times in a row. That music sounds so simple and natural at first impression, yet it is deep, inspiring, powerfully expressive and beautifully evocative (something I perceive also in English composers like Holst, Delius, Bantock); I really loved the passages of solos of woodwinds and violin with harp glissandi, dreamy and floating in Impressionistic style, as well as the main theme introduced by brass and triangle, absolutely gorgeous.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 05, 2014, 02:39:51 PM
Moderato Pesante from Vaughan Williams' Symphony No.3 is absolutely wonderful; I listened to the whole symphony for the first time and I enjoyed it very much, but the third movement particularly mesmerized me, I heard it several times in a row. That music sounds so simple and natural at first impression, yet it is deep, inspiring, powerfully expressive and beautifully evocative (something I perceive also in English composers like Holst, Delius, Bantock); I really loved the passages of solos of woodwinds and violin with harp glissandi, dreamy and floating in Impressionistic style, as well as the main theme introduced by brass and triangle, absolutely gorgeous.

It is a marvelous movement indeed, Ilaria. Again, a wonderful description. :)

Right now, I just finished Symphony No. 4 and I'm playing Symphony No. 6 now. I love how both of these symphonies start off with that orchestral rush of blood to head. 8) The brass is especially biting here (listening to Bergund's performance).

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2014, 02:51:49 PM
It is a marvelous movement indeed, Ilaria. Again, a wonderful description. :)

Right now, I just finished Symphony No. 4 and I'm playing Symphony No. 6 now. I love how both of these symphonies start off with that orchestral rush of blood to head. 8) The brass is especially biting here (listening to Bergund's performance).

Thank you, John; No.4 will provably be the next Vaughan Williams' symphony I will listen to, I read in previous comments it stood in great contrast with the pastoral atmosphere of No.3, so I'm very curious; but before I would like to revisit A Sea Symphony.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 05, 2014, 03:05:23 PM
Thank you, John; No.4 will provably be the next Vaughan Williams' symphony I will listen to, I read in previous comments it stood in great contrast with the pastoral atmosphere of No.3, so I'm very curious; but before I would like to revisit A Sea Symphony.

Yeah, there could be no great contrast than the 3rd and the 4th.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 05, 2014, 03:05:23 PM

Splendid, Ilaria! A Pastoral Symphony is surpassing exquisite!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Listened to the 5th symphony today for the first time in years this afternoon and it was such an experience.. It has to be one of the most beautiful symphonies ever written. Particularly the Romanza and Passacaglia, so full of tranquil power. Perfection, so heavenly.... masterwork. The way the last movement dies away to such a peaceful D Major is so moving, and the climaxes of these two last movements are so powerful too. Yes, I cried quite a lot!

Gorgeous piece.  0:)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 26, 2014, 05:32:33 AM
Listened to the 5th symphony today for the first time in years this afternoon and it was such an experience.. It has to be one of the most beautiful symphonies ever written. Particularly the Romanza and Passacaglia, so full of tranquil power. Perfection, so heavenly.... masterwork. The way the last movement dies away to such a peaceful D Major is so moving, and the climaxes of these two last movements are so powerful too. Yes, I cried quite a lot!

It is a dandy, Daniel!!  :)

Mirror Image

Absolutely, Daniel. One of my favorite symphonies. This work has meant so much for me for quite some time. Good to see it's been working it's magic on your ears and heart. :)

vandermolen

Which version did you listen to Daniel?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2014, 06:54:36 AM
Which version did you listen to Daniel?

I'm not Daniel obviously, but he listened to Haitink's performance. He owns the Haitink EMI set.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2014, 07:27:57 AM
I'm not Daniel obviously, but he listened to Haitink's performance. He owns the Haitink EMI set.

Oh thanks John. I should have worked that one out myself.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

madaboutmahler

Really is suuuuuuuuch a beautiful piece. :)

Is Handley generally appreciated as one of the better cycles around here? And could I ask for favourite recordings of VW 5? :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 26, 2014, 09:41:16 AM
Really is suuuuuuuuch a beautiful piece. :)

Is Handley generally appreciated as one of the better cycles around here? And could I ask for favourite recordings of VW 5? :)

Handley's cycle is quite good, but his 5th is mediocre IMHO. There's just something missing in that performance. My favorite 5th performance? That would be a toss-up between Thomson/LSO (Chandos) and Previn/RPO (Telarc).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 26, 2014, 09:41:16 AM

My favorite Fifths aren't from any of the complete cycles: Menuhin/RPO, Previn/RPO(Telarc) and Barbirolli/Philharmonia.

The Handley cycle has a lot going for it (it is, I think, Lethe/Sara's favorite) with a great Third and Eighth. But my favorites are Boult (Decca), Haitink and Thomson.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 26, 2014, 11:24:14 AM
My favorite Fifths aren't from any of the complete cycles: Menuhin/RPO, Previn/RPO(Telarc) and Barbirolli/Philharmonia.

The Handley cycle has a lot going for it (it is, I think, Lethe/Sara's favorite) with a great Third and Eighth. But my favorites are Boult (Decca), Haitink and Thomson.

Sarge

I'll definitely have to dig out my Barbirolli/Philharmonia. I don't remember it being particularly memorable in the Romanza movement but I do remember a good Scherzo. Possibly the best I've heard on record.

vandermolen

My favourites would include the Barbirolli on EMI and Vaughan Williams's own historic recording. Previn on RCA is also excellent and there is a very sibelian version by Koussevitsky which I like very much.