Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Partita for Double String Orchestra

I've been YouTubing this piece (previously unknown to me), and so far I like it. Any opinions on it?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Velimir on March 10, 2014, 01:06:14 PM
Partita for Double String Orchestra

I've been YouTubing this piece (previously unknown to me), and so far I like it. Any opinions on it?

An excellent work. RVW was such a natural in his writing for strings that it seems like a no-brainer that this wouldn't be good. I feel the same way about his Concerto Grosso.

madaboutmahler

Just finished listening to the last disc in by Haitink RVW set. 8th/9th symphonies. Simply WOW. Incredible pieces. I was completely blown away, with tears in my eyes, at the utter power of the ending to no.9.... what a farewell to the symphonic form.. So moving. 8 and 9 might have to be my favourites overall.... but then again 3-6 are just so incredible too. Hope there's not a poll for 'favourite RVW symphony' here as I wouldn't be able to pick!!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 30, 2014, 08:49:17 AM
Just finished listening to the last disc in by Haitink RVW set. 8th/9th symphonies. Simply WOW. Incredible pieces. I was completely blown away, with tears in my eyes, at the utter power of the ending to no.9.... what a farewell to the symphonic form.. So moving. 8 and 9 might have to be my favourites overall.... but then again 3-6 are just so incredible too. Hope there's not a poll for 'favourite RVW symphony' here as I wouldn't be able to pick!!

Good to hear, Daniel. RVW has long been a favorite of mine and it was high time you explored his symphonies. Symphony No. 5 has always been a special work for me, but I really enjoy all of his symphonies. Now it's time for Job!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 30, 2014, 08:49:17 AM
Hope there's not a poll for 'favourite RVW symphony' here as I wouldn't be able to pick!!

Of course there's a poll  8)

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,6037.msg143580.html#msg143580

My top three: 4, 8, 9

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

My picks: 4, 5, & 6, but I could have easily threw the 3rd in for the 4th or the 8th in for the 6th and still have been satisfied.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2014, 09:17:55 AM
My picks: 4, 5, & 6, but I could have easily threw the 3rd in for the 4th or the 8th in for the 6th and still have been satisfied.
4, 5, and 6 are my choices but I go back and forth on whether 5 or 4 is top. Usually 5.
Exploring RVW do not miss Flos Campi.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 30, 2014, 09:37:51 AM
4, 5, and 6 are my choices but I go back and forth on whether 5 or 4 is top. Usually 5.
Exploring RVW do not miss Flos Campi.

Yep, Flos Campi is a fine work. I've grown quite fond of the Oboe Concerto over the past year or so.

TheGSMoeller

Looks I voted just over a year ago, let's see if I still agree...

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 04, 2013, 02:08:32 PM
Time to renew an old thread.

My votes...
Symphony No. 1, A Sea Symphony
Symphony No. 3, A Pastoral Symphony
Symphony No. 9

Regarding RVW symphonies, I can honestly say that I enjoy them all. There's not really a dull one in the lot.

My personal favorite will always be the 1st, A Sea Symphony, in fact it was Sea that peaked my interest in RVW. With the exception of an over-boldy presented first movement, I find that the Symphony successfully merges words and music. I still get chills in the final movement hearing the soprano and baritone echoing "Bathe me O God in thee, mounting to thee, I and my soul to range in range of thee." Although I consider Sea to be my favorite, I don't believe it to be his greatest symphonic accomplishment

From there I chose his Pastoral Symphony. One of the most poetic symphonies I've heard. The final movement ranks high with some of those most visionary and inspired pieces. Nothing closes a symphony quite like the distant soprano.

My final vote went to his 9th, a leap of over 30 years from my previous pick of No.3. The 9th is unique, it's calm yet haunting. The rhythmically charged Scherzo filled with three saxophones is a highlight along with the brilliantly composed bookends.

There are some days I could have easily voted for No. 5, No. 6 or No. 7 (which I consider to be much fun), but 1, 3 and 9 are the ones I return to the most.

...I'm good.  ;D

madaboutmahler

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

vandermolen

The defiant and valedictory No. 9 ranks very high with me too (those harps at the end  :'(). Handley is very good with the clearest harps. No. 6 remains the greatest in my opinion. Haitink made me appreciate A Sea Symphony more than any other recording. The 1913 A London Symphony gets played a lot too. Why did he cut out the best bit just before the end?

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I really need to revisit the 9th. I do recall enjoying very well.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2014, 12:46:23 PM
I really need to revisit the 9th. I do recall enjoying very well.

I am still where I always was with the 9th: puzzled by the outer movements, but greatly enjoy the quirky inner ones, especially the flugelhorn and sax contributions.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Velimir on March 30, 2014, 03:44:32 PM
I am still where I always was with the 9th: puzzled by the outer movements, but greatly enjoy the quirky inner ones, especially the flugelhorn and sax contributions.

What is so puzzling about the outer movements?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2014, 05:15:10 PM
What is so puzzling about the outer movements?

I find them kind of heavy and diffuse, hard to know where the music is going. It's a bit like trying to drive through a rainstorm at night. I don't get that feeling with any other of VW's symphonic movements.

vandermolen

Quote from: Velimir on March 30, 2014, 03:44:32 PM

That's very interesting as it is the two outer movements which I prefer to the inner ones ( as with Mahler's 9th Symphony).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

I love all the VW symphonies, although there are some I don't listen to all that often.

My absolute favourites are 5 and 9, but with all of them when I listen to them again, as not with all other composers' works, I am always impressed with how good they are. I think we underestimate VW.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on March 31, 2014, 12:27:34 PM
I love all the VW symphonies, although there are some I don't listen to all that often.

My absolute favourites are 5 and 9, but with all of them when I listen to them again, as not with all other composers' works, I am always impressed with how good they are. I think we underestimate VW.

I agree. Naxos put 5 and 9 together - a great CD.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2014, 11:24:52 PM
I agree. Naxos put 5 and 9 together - a great CD.

I've said it before:  That Kees Bakels/Bournemouth CD opened my ears to the value of the symphonies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

calyptorhynchus

I see that Naxos is promising for May 2014 a disk containing, amongst other works, the early Piano Quintet and a Quintet for Clarinet, Horn and Piano Trio.

;D
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton