Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan, Papy Oli and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

OMG  :o :o :o

The reaction in the RVW Journal was quite tame in comparison with you lot. I don't know what to say.

Well, I don't mind the orchestral version so much.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ZauberdrachenNr.7

C'mon, vandermolen.  Repent!  There's still time to save your soul!! 0:) :laugh:

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on September 11, 2015, 05:23:19 AM
OMG  :o :o :o

The reaction in the RVW Journal was quite tame in comparison with you lot. I don't know what to say.

Well, I don't mind the orchestral version so much.  :)

I admire your fortitude, Jeffrey;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I picked up Slatkin's 3+4 the other day. On first listening, I think it's really, really good - very energetic and powerful in the 4th, and nicely flowing in the Pastoral. Excellent playing by the Philharmonia too.

His cycle gets generally good reviews, so I'm not surprised. (haven't heard any of the other installments)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

I'm keen to steer the discussion away from the 'Serenade to Music' in view of hysterical reactions above.  8)

Yes, the Slatkin series is good although symphonies 5 and 6 were a bit disappointing in the cycle. The CD with 8,9 and 'Flourish for Glorious John [Barbirolli]' is excellent. I saw him conduct Symphony 9 live in London and it was really good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 11, 2015, 09:43:01 AM
I picked up Slatkin's 3+4 the other day. On first listening, I think it's really, really good

Yes, Slatkin's Fourth is excellent.  I also like his Sea Symphony (tremendous organ presence).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Christo

Re the Serenade to Music, I agree with its own key message (from Act V, Scene 1 of The Merchant of Venice):

The man that hath no passion for this Serenade,
Nor is not deeply mov'd with its concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night
And his affections dark as Erebus:
Let no such man be trusted.   >:D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 12, 2015, 09:58:29 AM
Re the Serenade to Music, I agree with its own key message (from Act V, Scene 1 of The Merchant of Venice):

The man that hath no passion for this Serenade,
Nor is not deeply mov'd with its concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night
And his affections dark as Erebus:
Let no such man be trusted.   >:D

8)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 12, 2015, 02:34:14 AM
  I also like his Sea Symphony (tremendous organ presence).

This is the one VW symphony that I can't fall in love with, for some reason. I've YouTubed it a few times, and it comes across as bloated and overblown. Maybe I should get an actual recording of the piece and concentrate on it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 13, 2015, 11:27:23 AM
This is the one VW symphony that I can't fall in love with, for some reason. I've YouTubed it a few times, and it comes across as bloated and overblown. Maybe I should get an actual recording of the piece and concentrate on it.
This remained a blind spot for me for decades until I heard Bernard Haitink's recording (which is the one I recommend). Now I find it to be a deeply moving work although the best music is definitely in the finale.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 13, 2015, 11:27:23 AM

Sorry, I can't help you. Whenever anyone uses the adjectives bloated and overblown to describe some of my favorite music, I realize we are talking in completely different languages and there is no sense in continuing the conversation  ;)

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on September 13, 2015, 01:36:11 PM
This remained a blind spot for me for decades until I heard Bernard Haitink's recording (which is the one I recommend).

I had the good fortune (assisted by Harry) that this was, in fact, the first I heard the piece, and I was enchanted straight off.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Sounds like Haitink's a good choice. Or Slatkin, if I want "tremendous organ presence" (but how important is the organ throughout?).

Reading around, Boult seems to be a highly-regarded classic performance. Am curious about Spano/Atlanta, any1 heard that one?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 13, 2015, 02:51:44 PM
Sounds like Haitink's a good choice. Or Slatkin, if I want "tremendous organ presence" (but how important is the organ throughout?).

Reading around, Boult seems to be a highly-regarded classic performance. Am curious about Spano/Atlanta, any1 heard that one?

Haven't heard Spano...but my top three are Haitink, Boult (Decca) and Slatkin.

Sarge

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Turns out there's a brand new recording of it by Mark Elder. Anyone heard it? Behold a rave review:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/vaughan-williams-sea-symphony-review/

relm1

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 13, 2015, 05:36:36 PM
Turns out there's a brand new recording of it by Mark Elder. Anyone heard it? Behold a rave review:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/vaughan-williams-sea-symphony-review/

It's hard to imagine the Haitink recording can be topped, however I'm such a fan of this work. It really speaks to me so I must check out this new recording. The reviews are consistently strong.

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 13, 2015, 03:08:29 PM
Haven't heard Spano...but my top three are Haitink, Boult (Decca) and Slatkin.

Sarge

These are all good choices although sadly none of them are coupled with that great masterpiece 'Serenade to Music' hahaha   :P

cilgwyn

By the way,which is your favourite recording of the 'Serenade',vandermolen? ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 14, 2015, 03:47:16 AM

Surgically done, sir  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 14, 2015, 03:47:16 AM
This one - orchestral only version - no singing. 8)
[asin]B00000IYN1[/asin]
Or this one:
[asin]B00004TQQ6[/asin]