Author Topic: Schoenberg's Sheen  (Read 82913 times)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Re: Schoenberg's Sheen
« Reply #660 on: September 24, 2019, 08:02:16 AM »
For those interested in trying another Pierrot Lunaire, here's soprano Hila Baggio and the Israeli Chamber Project from about three years ago.

The staging seems just right, and adds to the fantastic work from the musicians.

https://youtu.be/eH7OnSOHBWg

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #661 on: September 24, 2019, 09:03:15 AM »
For those interested in trying another Pierrot Lunaire, here's soprano Hila Baggio and the Israeli Chamber Project from about three years ago.

The staging seems just right, and adds to the fantastic work from the musicians.

https://youtu.be/eH7OnSOHBWg

--Bruce

Thanks for this, Bruce !

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #662 on: September 24, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »

I should post this in the ‘Recordings you are considering’ thread, but might not get much feedback  ::), so here it is:

This 4 cd set is from the RIAS archives, documenting the resurgence of interest for The Second Viennese school in Germany, when in became kosher to express interest in Schoenberg and his disciples. These are ‘historic’ performances in more than one sense. I’m wondering if anyone here has heard them and would of course welcome any feedback  :).

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #663 on: September 24, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »

I should post this in the ‘Recordings you are considering’ thread, but might not get much feedback  ::), so here it is:

This 4 cd set is from the RIAS archives, documenting the resurgence of interest for The Second Viennese school in Germany, when in became kosher to express interest in Schoenberg and his disciples. These are ‘historic’ performances in more than one sense. I’m wondering if anyone here has heard them and would of course welcome any feedback  :).

Most interesting!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #664 on: September 24, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
It did momentarily startle me to see Johann Strauss included among the luminaries of the Second Viennese School, although of course, if he was not Viennese, who was....

But then I saw the "arranged by" bylines...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #665 on: September 24, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
It did momentarily startle me to see Johann Strauss included among the luminaries of the Second Viennese School, although of course, if he was not Viennese, who was....

But then I saw the "arranged by" bylines...

There’s half a dozen Strauss waltzes arranged by Schoenberg, Berg and Webern. They have been recorded many times over. Lovely, esp. the Kaiserwalz by schoenberg.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #666 on: September 24, 2019, 10:50:26 PM »

I bought that set when it was first released, and find it very good. These were my comments when Mirror Image purchased it some yeras ago:

Wonderful set, Mirror Image! Some very important names helping to reestablish this music's rightful place in the repertory, after it had been surpressed by the criminals (and cultural neanderthals). Maderna conducting Webern's Five pieces for orcheestra alone is worth the set's price, but there are many other wonderful performances here.
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #667 on: September 25, 2019, 04:33:08 AM »
Super, thanks a bunch for your comment !!

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #668 on: September 25, 2019, 04:44:41 AM »
I just placed this under Recordings/ Purchases Today: in case you do not check that topic...

There is a marvelous recording of a live radio broadcast of Bruno Maderna conducting Schoenberg's Jakobsleiter:

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-plante-511223801/schoenberg-jakobsleiter-die-1972-hilversum-maderna

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)