The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I can't offer favourites, properly knowing one version of each...

The Da Capo box (Schønwandt plus Dausgaard for other orchestral works) has some interesting little essays about each symphony. Listening to the 6th again having just read the relevant essay (which includes a pretty detailed quote about the Humoreske movement), I think the key to the symphony is that there's something deliberately childlike about much of it. The way Nielsen describes it, with instruments needing to be "woken up", sounds almost like a collection of toys.

Certainly it feels like it's making more sense to me on this listen with that vibe in mind. The end of the 3rd movement, which I just heard, feels like a lullaby.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Turner on May 08, 2017, 12:07:15 AM
1: (no definite favourite)
2: Gould, Chung- a fine, contrasting pair
3: Bernstein, Chung - ditto
4: (no definite favourite). Mela is very good, but not on CD or LP. Maybe Blomstedt / decca. Martinon interesting, but a bit too quick at times. Not Karajan.
5: Bernstein rules ...
6: (no definite favourite)

Don't you mean (Zubin) Mehta? Who is Mela? And what do you mean by not on CD or LP?

prémont

Quote from: 71 dB on May 07, 2017, 11:26:10 PM
I think I'll keep away from GMG because I don't like being here at the moment. This is not a friendly place. Sorry.

That is a pity, I think. Even if I find your neural block theory a bit far out, you have so much else to contribute with, which I would miss. And the majority of posters here are essentially friendly people.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Turner

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 08, 2017, 06:43:10 AM
Don't you mean (Zubin) Mehta? Who is Mela? And what do you mean by not on CD or LP?

Sorry I should have written Mena, a new name to me. Not Mehta!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Turner on May 08, 2017, 08:00:22 AM
Sorry I should have written Mena, a new name to me. Not Mehta!

Ah okay. Of course, Mehta's Inextinguishable isn't bad either. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ørfeo on May 08, 2017, 06:00:14 AM
I can't offer favourites, properly knowing one version of each...

The Da Capo box (Schønwandt plus Dausgaard for other orchestral works) has some interesting little essays about each symphony. Listening to the 6th again having just read the relevant essay (which includes a pretty detailed quote about the Humoreske movement), I think the key to the symphony is that there's something deliberately childlike about much of it. The way Nielsen describes it, with instruments needing to be "woken up", sounds almost like a collection of toys.

Certainly it feels like it's making more sense to me on this listen with that vibe in mind. The end of the 3rd movement, which I just heard, feels like a lullaby.

Good to hear you're making progress on the Sinfonia semplice. Such a magical work.

Sergeant Rock

1 - Oramo, Kuchar, Previn
2 - Kuchar, Blomstedt
3 - Kuchar (incomparable brass detail), Bernstein, Schmidt, Rozhdestvensky, Oramo
4 - Salonen, Schmidt, Martinon
5 - Bernstein
6 - Ormandy, Blomstedt, Schmidt
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

71 dB

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 08, 2017, 07:26:36 AM
That is a pity, I think. Even if I find your neural block theory a bit far out, you have so much else to contribute with, which I would miss. And the majority of posters here are essentially friendly people.

Thanks for the friendly worlds. I try to calm down. I want to be friedly too. Far out theories are "my thing" so I product them almost without realising it. I never claimed my theory to be perfect and correct. It is a "starting point" to be rejected/corrected if better theories emerge. Einstein's ideas of relativity were pretty "far out" before people realised Einstein was actually right. Then again, Einstein was a genius and I am not.  :D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 08, 2017, 08:48:31 AM
2 - Kuchar, Blomstedt
3 - Kuchar (incomparable brass detail), Bernstein, Schmidt, Rozhdestvensky, Oramo
5 - Bernstein

Interesting list. I'll have to revisit Kuchar's cycle.

TheGSMoeller

2 - Kuchar, Blomstedt
5 - Bernstein

No Gilbert?

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 08, 2017, 11:35:01 AM
No Gilbert?

Sarge isn't a fan of Gilbert's Nielsen cycle IIRC. No worries, I LOVE Gilbert's cycle and consider it, next to Oramo's, the most consistent I've heard.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 08, 2017, 11:35:01 AM
No Gilbert?

His Espansiva was a major disappointment (sonically, anyway) so I didn't bother to collect the rest of his cycle. I should give his Second another chance, though.

Sarge

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 08, 2017, 12:19:30 PM
His Espansiva was a major disappointment (sonically, anyway) so I didn't bother to collect the rest of his cycle. I should give his Second another chance, though.

Sarge

I too found Gilbert's symphonies to be lacking in...something. rather blah result.
BUT
The concertos CD which finished off his cycle is one of the best I have heard.
[asin]B00WF5R808[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 08, 2017, 12:19:30 PM

Sarge

Overall the cycle is good, to me at least, but I think the 2nd is the strength of the cycle. The third movement Andante malincolico is great, and the tempo for the finale is perfect, with the Horns ripping through their lines! Give it a try, Sarge.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 08, 2017, 12:50:25 PM
Overall the cycle is good, to me at least, but I think the 2nd is the strength of the cycle. The third movement Andante malincolico is great, and the tempo for the finale is perfect, with the Horns ripping through their lines! Give it a try, Sarge.

I will.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 08, 2017, 12:28:32 PM

I'll give that a try too.

Sarge

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 08, 2017, 12:28:32 PM
I too found Gilbert's symphonies to be lacking in...something. rather blah result.
BUT
[asin]B00WF5R808[/asin]

That's interesting as this is the way I feel about almost every Nielsen cycle I've heard: Salonen, Rozhdestvensky, Thomson, both Järvi's, Schønwandt, Schmidt, and Blomstedt's first cycle on EMI. The only cycle that I've heard that I don't remember is Kuchar's on Brilliant Classics. I should remedy this rather soon. If Bernstein recorded the 1st and 6th, I'd be calling his my reference cycle I'd imagine.

amw

1 - Oramo
2 - Schønwandt
3 - Chung, Bernstein
4 - Blomstedt
5 - Blomstedt, Bernstein, Kondrashin
6 - Oramo, Schønwandt

Parsifal

2 - Kuchar, Blomstedt
5 - Bernstein

Oh dear, seems like I have to hear this Kuchar...

71 dB

The Blomstedt twofer arrived today. I am now listening to symphony 1. The recorded sound is not perhaps as good as on Leaper's cycle (in fact without crossfeeding it is abysmally bad as the spatial distortion is HUGE!). If there are any artistical advantages over Naxos, I need to figure them out with time. Blomstedt sounds calmer and more distant than Leaper. Blomstedt's Nielsen sounds more Brahmsian and less "Nordic".

These are my initial impressions and again I might have made a mistake believing someone on GMG. I should ALWAYS sample CDs myself before buying. This distance-thing takes so much away of the energy of the music.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"