The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmartell and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 22, 2016, 09:29:16 PM
I have the Bernstein too - it is excellent. It is in a Sony set featuring Ormandy's recording of Symphony 6 which is IMHO the greatest one I know of that symphony. My brother likes No.6 best of all and 5 least of all. 5,6,4 are my favourites.

Upon your recommendation, I bought Ormandy's 6th. I'm really looking forward to hearing it. Your brother likes the 5th the least? Wow...I'd imagine we'd have some spirited arguments about this symphony (if I were to speak with him). ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2016, 08:26:14 AM
Upon your recommendation, I bought Ormandy's 6th. I'm really looking forward to hearing it. Your brother likes the 5th the least? Wow...I'd imagine we'd have some spirited arguments about this symphony (if I were to speak with him). ;)
Am sure you'll love the Ormandy. Yes, my brother thinks that No.6 is the greatest of all. That first movement is wonderful - it tries to be cheerful but this is undermined by tragedy - a truly poignant and tragic work. Let us know what you think of the Ormandy. I have it with the Bernstein version of No.5 in the Sony Essential Classics set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2016, 09:45:35 AM
Am sure you'll love the Ormandy. Yes, my brother thinks that No.6 is the greatest of all. That first movement is wonderful - it tries to be cheerful but this is undermined by tragedy - a truly poignant and tragic work. Let us know what you think of the Ormandy. I have it with the Bernstein version of No.5 in the Sony Essential Classics set.

Thanks, Jeffrey. I'm sure I will. The 6th was a work that came quite easily to me whereas for many listeners I've spoken with it remains a bit of an enigma. I think the undercurrents of this music, which, to me, sound menacing and almost apocalyptic, are masked by this outwardly strange, but good-natured exterior. It's almost like he's hiding and doesn't want to fully acknowledge what could possibly be his true intent. With the 5th, I think it's perfectly clear what we hear: this is a war symphony, but the 6th has this odd ongoing narrative that doesn't always let the listener in, but, like I mentioned, I had no problems with it and it should be just as well known as the middle symphonies IMHO.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2016, 09:59:30 AM
Thanks, Jeffrey. I'm sure I will. The 6th was a work that came quite easily to me whereas for many listeners I've spoken with it remains a bit of an enigma. I think the undercurrents of this music, which, to me, sound menacing and almost apocalyptic, are masked by this outwardly strange, but good-natured exterior. It's almost like he's hiding and doesn't want to fully acknowledge what could possibly be his true intent. With the 5th, I think it's perfectly clear what we hear: this is a war symphony, but the 6th has this odd ongoing narrative that doesn't always let the listener in, but, like I mentioned, I had no problems with it and it should be just as well known as the middle symphonies IMHO.
Excellent analysis John - I agree with what you say although you expressed it much better.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2016, 10:28:00 AM
Excellent analysis John - I agree with what you say although you expressed it much better.  :)

Thanks. Obviously words can't do the music any kind of justice, but we can certainly try! ;D

Karl Henning

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Hah! I was about to post this! Yes, Happy Birthday, Mr. Carl August Nielsen!

bhodges

How nice! Maybe I'll go get a bottle of aquavit in his honor. :-)

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on June 09, 2016, 04:32:08 AM
How nice! Maybe I'll go get a bottle of aquavit in his honor. :-)

--Bruce

Bottoms up!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

I'm fairly amazed to discover that scores of all of Nielsen's works are available for free download:

http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/dcm/cnu/download.html

Instead of fighting madly to keep things in copyright forever, they're throwing it out there. Yes, they are also selling the kinds of versions you might need for performance in some cases, but fundamentally they're keen to get the music as wide a distribution as possible.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

PerfectWagnerite

I use this site (for example the 4th symphony):

http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.4,_Op.29_(Nielsen,_Carl)

But pretty much everything else is available too...

Madiel

Yes, but IMSLP is a generic site, and occasionally it runs into trouble. This is rather different.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

I attended a wonderful performance of Symphony 5 in London on Monday (Storgards, BBC Philharmonic) at the Proms. So great to hear this work live. My daughter asked me to take her to a classical concert and she and my niece thoroughly enjoyed it, including the modernist opening work for glass harmonica by Jorg Widmann (born 1973). Also included was The Tempest Prelude by Sibelius and the Violin Concerto by Schumann.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2016, 02:26:04 AM
I attended a wonderful performance of Symphony 5 in London on Monday (Storgards, BBC Philharmonic) at the Proms. So great to hear this work live. My daughter asked me to take her to a classical concert and she and my niece thoroughly enjoyed it, including the modernist opening work for glass harmonica by Jorg Widmann (born 1973). Also included was The Tempest Prelude by Sibelius and the Violin Concerto by Schumann.

Cool! (If only it had been the Schuman Violin Concerto 8) )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2016, 02:26:04 AM

Very nice, Jeffrey. If only they would have performed Nielsen's "Violin Concerto" instead of Schumann's. :) Who was the violinist by the way?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: karlhenning on August 03, 2016, 03:51:19 AM
Cool! (If only it had been the Schuman Violin Concerto 8) )
You like that piece? It seems rather meandering and long, anyway not surprised it is so infrequently performed.

calyptorhynchus

...And I've always thought that Nielsen's Violin Concerto is inexplicably poor compared to his other works.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

CRCulver

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 03, 2016, 04:14:41 PM
...And I've always thought that Nielsen's Violin Concerto is inexplicably poor compared to his other works.

Well, the Violin Concerto is fairly early, so for those dazzled by the style that Nielsen had developed by the late concertos, going back to this one can be a disappointment.

TheGSMoeller

At the moment, my favorite Nielsen disc is this one from Gilbert/NYP. For starters, this is the first performance of the 2nd where I've actually felt it to be a stronger, or at least as strong, a symphony as No.4 and No.5. Gilbert finds the right tempi and balance for the movements, and really emphasizes some of the brilliant and sometimes quirky orchestrations from Nielsen. I especially love the presence of the horns, listen to way they slide into their notes in the finale at 0:30 when they reintroduce the opening theme, and again in the coda at 7:08. The horns then display their ability to impress by not being too overbearing at the climax of the 3rd mvt Andante at 6:52, which Gilbert offers at a very relaxed andante. The 3rd "Sinfonia Espansiva" is also excellent, with again Gilbert finding a great balance between mvts, with a finale coda that builds just the right amount of steam for its closing statement. Only complaint, and it's minor, is the soprano uses a little more vibrato than I prefer. Minor.

By the way, how great compositionally is the Allegro collerico? I feel it could be a stand alone piece, perhaps even a single Tone Poem. It seems to run the gamut of emotions and dynamics in such a short amount of time, almost as if it's telling a story. Great stuff.

[asin]B007VH6HHU[/asin]

I know we have a lot of Nielsen fans here, what disc are you all currently listening to the most of??

Mirror Image

Huge Nielsen fan here obviously. I've come to really enjoy Gilbert's Nielsen, too, Greg. Gilbert and Oramo have two of the best cycles in recent years. I prefer both of them to Schonwandt who just sounds underpowered to my ears.

The Nielsen recording I probably have listened to the most lately is Vilde Frang's performance of the Violin Concerto, which is a fine work and deserves more attention then it seems to get.

But my most listened to Nielsen recording of all-time is this classic one from Bernstein: