Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: Mandryka on August 11, 2012, 05:36:05 AM
I can't remember the stereo Hammerklavier (is that the Decca one?)  but I know the mono studio recording  well, and I'd say much the same for the adagio there. I also don't mind the pace of the allegro at all, I think it;'s a positively good thing to play it like that in fact.

Even the mono was made relatively late in his career. What is the earliest Backhaus Hammerklavier on record? Is there one earlier than the studio mono one?

Backhaus' Hammerklavier was recorded in 1953, if memory serves.  He did not live to re-record it in stereo (it is the only sonata missing from the stereo cycle).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on August 11, 2012, 05:58:36 AM
Backhaus' Hammerklavier was recorded in 1953, if memory serves.

Pretty close. April 1952 actually (according to the booklet in the box).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 11, 2012, 06:03:23 AM
Pretty close. April 1952 actually (according to the booklet in the box).

Sarge

One of the injustices of western civilization the Decca will only sell the stereo cycle + Hammerklavier. 

George

Quote from: Scarpia on August 11, 2012, 06:27:40 AM
One of the injustices of western civilization the Decca will only sell the stereo cycle + Hammerklavier.

The mono was available through Demonoid, but that ship has sunk.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Scarpia

Quote from: George on August 11, 2012, 06:30:03 AM
The mono was available through Demonoid, but that ship has sunk.

Those recording should all be out of copyright.  Is no one selling or otherwise distributing lp transfers?

George

Quote from: Scarpia on August 11, 2012, 06:33:49 AM
Those recording should all be out of copyright.  Is no one selling or otherwise distributing lp transfers?

I believe Pristine has begun, but I don't like their work.

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on August 10, 2012, 10:41:34 PMThe Hammerklavier here inspred Berio to write some music for Lucchessini. I've been playing it a lot and quite franckly I don't know what to make of it. I wonder if anyone else knows it.

Knows what, Lucchesini's first 106 recording, or his Berio?  I've got both.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Right, I remember now about the mono op 106 in the stereo box. But, what about earlier ones? There's a live I think, but I don't know the date.

Maybe I should upload the mono cycle somewhere. If it really is unavailable I'll do that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on August 11, 2012, 06:55:07 AM

Knows what, Lucchesini's first 106 recording, or his Berio?  I've got both.

And what do you think of the op 106 there, the first movement especially?

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on August 11, 2012, 07:00:11 AMAnd what do you think of the op 106 there, the first movement especially?

It's not as good as his later recording.  The first movement is large scale, but too long and slow for my taste.  I will say that my view on his softer playing in the opener has changed a bit - now I find that I like the contrasts, whereas when I first heard it about six years ago I did not like it as much.  The sound is a bit too harsh and steely, too, not allowing Lucchesini's tone to come through as in his later recordings.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on August 11, 2012, 07:44:43 AM

It's not as good as his later recording.  The first movement is large scale, but too long and slow for my taste.  I will say that my view on his softer playing in the opener has changed a bit - now I find that I like the contrasts, whereas when I first heard it about six years ago I did not like it as much.  The sound is a bit too harsh and steely, too, not allowing Lucchesini's tone to come through as in his later recordings.

I think I agree with you. The contrasts are interesting and I think there are some really nice moments when he plays quietly. It's a shame that the louder passages are so hard-toned (partly a problem of the Fazioli maybe, though  the live one is richer in the bass, and that helps) Somehow he doesn't tell a good story, he doesn't lead you along, so it's a hard slog for the whole 12 minutes. But still, each time I play it I find something new to like. The live one seems  more successful, and less interesting.

I'll just add here that I've been listening to all three Kempff recordings of Op 106 -- you can see I'm on a Hammerklavier binge. First, they're so consistent! Second, What a wonderful, wonderful interpretation. This is one of the best ones for me.

Lilas Pastia

I've had a selection of the Kempff mono cycle for many years. Each sonata in it (IIRC 8, 14, 17, 21, 23, 24, 26, 29) was more interesting than the stereo remake and quite good sounding. This was on a pair of Quintessence cassettes, so obviously of limited sonic appeal and it still held my attention as very few others have.

Scarpia

Quote from: André on August 11, 2012, 05:59:15 PM
I've had a selection of the Kempff mono cycle for many years. Each sonata in it (IIRC 8, 14, 17, 21, 23, 24, 26, 29) was more interesting than the stereo remake and quite good sounding. This was on a pair of Quintessence cassettes, so obviously of limited sonic appeal and it still held my attention as very few others have.

In case you are interested, there is a new Regis release of the Kempff mono cycle.  I ordered it from Prestoclassical.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Regis/RRC9010

The release notes indicate it was remastered, so I think there is a chance it will sound better than the more expensive DG edition.

Holden

Quote from: Scarpia on August 11, 2012, 06:36:18 PM
In case you are interested, there is a new Regis release of the Kempff mono cycle.  I ordered it from Prestoclassical.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Regis/RRC9010

The release notes indicate it was remastered, so I think there is a chance it will sound better than the more expensive DG edition.

I'd think about cancelling the order. The sound quality is extremely variable and conversations I've had with people who own the DG set say that their sound is fine. Listening to the DG on Spotify confirms this.
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on August 11, 2012, 06:51:00 PM
I'd think about cancelling the order. The sound quality is extremely variable and conversations I've had with people who own the DG set say that their sound is fine. Listening to the DG on Spotify confirms this.

Yes and the chances of Regis getting to work with the master tapes is zero. From what I have heard from a veteran CD buyer from Tower (now at a used store) is that Regis isn't a very reputable label.

Scarpia

Too late to cancel anything, it has already shipped.  I have a number of Regis releases and I have never been less than pleased with what I have heard. 

I had the Kempff mono from DG and sold it years ago for reasons I can't fathom.  But somewhere I have FLACs I made from it so I'll be able to see if there is a significant difference in audio quality.

George

Quote from: Scarpia on August 11, 2012, 07:08:51 PM
To late to cancel anything, it has already shipped.  I have a number of Regis releases and I have never been less than pleased with what I have heard. 

The ones I have compared to their original issues (some of the Richter ones) were remarkably close and probably the same mastering. Hopefully you'll get the same with the Kempff.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on August 11, 2012, 06:52:54 PM
Yes and the chances of Regis getting to work with the master tapes is zero. From what I have heard from a veteran CD buyer from Tower (now at a used store) is that Regis isn't a very reputable label.

Regis has also released many Richter's recordings.  Do you have any of the Regis' Richters?

kishnevi

I have a couple of Regis CDs, and while one of them had a performance  that was sonically bad,  the original recording was by Melodiya, so I blamed the Bolshies. :)  Even then, I was not sorry I purchased it; the other performance was good on all levels, including sonics (Shostakovich Symphony 15),  and the acoustically poor recording was at least of historical interest-- also DSCH:  Oistrakh performing the Second Violin Concerto, and going by the recording dates, which was within a couple of weeks of the concerto's world premiere,  this must have been the very first recording of the concerto.  The sonic flaw, I might add, was mostly a question of balance:  the soloist seemed to be at one end of the hall with the mikes, and the orchestra at the extreme  other end of the hall, making them seemed recessed to the point of being inaudible at times,  which Oistrakh was unnaturally forward.    And since it was (I think) mono,  that would have to have been the fault of the original recording engineers and not the (re)mastering, wouldn't it?

Brian

I have some Richter on Regis, but I couldn't compare it to any other issues of the Richter recordings since I don't collect different masterings...