Author Topic: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas  (Read 780810 times)

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
Re: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
« Reply #4460 on: September 26, 2020, 05:10:14 AM »
Thanks, I do enjoy these, and with - until now 70+ complete sets - I have reached some kind of saturation point and will surely pass this new set by.

I hear ya, man. I have far less than 70 sets and have reached a point where I won't likely be buying more.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline hvbias

« Reply #4461 on: September 26, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
I listened to her play the Pathetique Sonata, certainly had me tapping my foot (maybe the metronomic precision amw mentioned) and she played with propulsive brio, really reminded me of Friedrich Gulda. I thought her phrasing of some of the loud sections and how she abruptly cut them off was a bit odd. Overall not for me.

The first Chopin Ballade in G minor was very good, elastic tempo, that same propulsiveness from the Beethoven and some power in controlling those rolling dynamic changes. I plan to return to the rest.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #4462 on: September 26, 2020, 11:50:03 AM »
Friedrich Gulda is another name I should have mentioned yes, although she is more like the 1967 Gulda than the 1953 (Orfeo) Gulda (which is my preferred Gulda set). I think Gulda did not have the same degree of control of touch though.

Glad some people have listened & posted their thoughts though! (I try to make sure my views are always indicated as subjective. For me I knew Kawamura was the Beethoven interpreter I'd been looking for within ~20 seconds but it did take listening to the entire album to formulate my reasons why.)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4463 on: October 08, 2020, 05:24:54 PM »

Volume two now out.  The collection of movements only serves to annoy; release the whole set, dammit.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #4464 on: October 08, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »
 ^ I don't find her convincing on Beethoven.  She's much better with other composer's material, such as Liszt.
Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4465 on: October 08, 2020, 05:59:43 PM »
What does "convincing" mean?

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #4466 on: October 16, 2020, 02:50:23 PM »
The Scherbakov box arrived, $30 from ImportCDs. "Box" is a generous description. It's a paper slipcover holding nine paper sleeves and the booklet interview. The interview is quite good - Scherbakov amusingly describes a moment a few years ago rehearsing Godowsky for Naxos and suddenly realizing that he was sick of all the noodling with obscure miniatures and wanted to play Beethoven instead, "as a present to myself" - but overall, bare minimum production. Fine by me, I guess, it's the music that counts. But if you were debating box vs. download, this info may be useful.

Looks like he recorded the first nine sonatas in a single epic weekend in October 2019, and did the final three discs during covid lockdown.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:53:42 PM by Brian »

Online JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #4467 on: October 16, 2020, 04:30:57 PM »
The Scherbakov box arrived, $30 from ImportCDs. "Box" is a generous description. It's a paper slipcover holding nine paper sleeves and the booklet interview. The interview is quite good - Scherbakov amusingly describes a moment a few years ago rehearsing Godowsky for Naxos and suddenly realizing that he was sick of all the noodling with obscure miniatures and wanted to play Beethoven instead, "as a present to myself" - but overall, bare minimum production. Fine by me, I guess, it's the music that counts. But if you were debating box vs. download, this info may be useful.

Looks like he recorded the first nine sonatas in a single epic weekend in October 2019, and did the final three discs during covid lockdown.

Stewart Goodyear's set is packaged almost exactly the same way.

My copy is on its way to me from Arkivmusic.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4468 on: October 16, 2020, 05:34:43 PM »
Stewart Goodyear's set is packaged almost exactly the same way.

Did it change?  My copy is in a cheap clamshell box.  The Scherbakov package is flimsy, but since I rip and box physical media it doesn't matter.  Eco-friendly downloads are the best solution that also eliminate pesky delivery times - provided downloads cost less.

I'm thinking a Scherbakov-Sohn shootout offers a good way to hear what two sort of new pianists to me can do.

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #4469 on: October 16, 2020, 06:06:29 PM »

Did it change?  My copy is in a cheap clamshell box.  The Scherbakov package is flimsy, but since I rip and box physical media it doesn't matter.  Eco-friendly downloads are the best solution that also eliminate pesky delivery times - provided downloads cost less.

I'm thinking a Scherbakov-Sohn shootout offers a good way to hear what two sort of new pianists to me can do.

They must have decided cheap clamshell boxes were too expensive.  But it's still not as cheap and flimsy as the EMI France Beethoven Masterworks box (the one with Heisdeck), which was 50 CDs in 50 paper sleeves in a thin paper cube open at the top.

ETA: Scherbakov isn't exactly new. His DSCH Preludes and Fugues were among my first purchases when I got serious about buying music 25 years ago or so. I'm surprised you haven't gotten to him before this year.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:10:34 PM by JBS »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4470 on: October 16, 2020, 06:07:12 PM »

I knew there'd be at least one more (pretty much a) surprise cycle, and here one is: Irina Mejoueva's second cycle. 

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #4471 on: October 19, 2020, 05:11:39 PM »
They must have decided cheap clamshell boxes were too expensive.  But it's still not as cheap and flimsy as the EMI France Beethoven Masterworks box (the one with Heisdeck), which was 50 CDs in 50 paper sleeves in a thin paper cube open at the top.

ETA: Scherbakov isn't exactly new. His DSCH Preludes and Fugues were among my first purchases when I got serious about buying music 25 years ago or so. I'm surprised you haven't gotten to him before this year.

My copy of Scherbakov landed today. The  packaging for the set is somewhat better than that of Goodyear's cycle: cardboard sleeves instead of paper envelopes, and the sleeves have track listings and recording details on the back.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4472 on: October 19, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
My copy of Scherbakov landed today. The  packaging for the set is somewhat better than that of Goodyear's cycle: cardboard sleeves instead of paper envelopes, and the sleeves have track listings and recording details on the back.

Nice.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot