Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 08, 2018, 08:46:29 AM
Actually, I don't think I did. (Did I?) The Telos cycle is still different from that. That's referring to a cycle on Bomba Piter / Audiophile Classics   with these pianists:
Pavel Egorov, Sergey Uryvaev, Igor Urjash, Valery Vishnevsky, Vladimir Shakin, Galina Sandovskaya, Dmitri Efimov, Igor Lebedev, Lebedev Roman, Tatyana Zagorovskaya, Leonid Zaychik,
Oh dear, I'm sorry. I thought that comma was indicating that they are the same, rather than a list of 2 things. My misunderstanding. Everyone is still Russian after all!

prémont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 08, 2018, 08:46:29 AM
Actually, I don't think I did. (Did I?) The Telos cycle is still different from that. That's referring to a cycle on Bomba Piter / Audiophile Classics   with these pianists:
Pavel Egorov, Sergey Uryvaev, Igor Urjash, Valery Vishnevsky, Vladimir Shakin, Galina Sandovskaya, Dmitri Efimov, Igor Lebedev, Lebedev Roman, Tatyana Zagorovskaya, Leonid Zaychik,

Yes, I thought that you meant this one, and not the Telos release.

I like these weighty interpretations in the Egorov, Uryvaev et.c. set very much.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 08, 2018, 11:23:40 AM
Yes, I thought that you meant this one, and not the Telos release.

I like these weighty interpretations in the Egorov, Uryvaev et.c. set very much.

You have that? Could I tap you for info on it re: recording dates ... and cover art?

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on January 08, 2018, 09:27:01 AM
Oh dear, I'm sorry. I thought that comma was indicating that they are the same, rather than a list of 2 things. My misunderstanding. Everyone is still Russian after all!

Sloppy orthography. Eats, shoots and leaves, I'm afraid.

prémont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 08, 2018, 12:00:57 PM
You have that? Could I tap you for info on it re: recording dates ... and cover art?

You will find most of the covers here:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/labels/170/browse?size=10&view=large

I do not consider myself able to talk about these covers as being art, and the booklets do not give the name of the "artist".

There is no information of the recording date. Indirectly one can conclude, that it must have been later than 1990, because some of  the pianists activities in the year 1990 are mentioned. Presto writes that the release date was 18.9.2005, It is difficult to remember exactly, but I think I got them a few years earlier (from a dealer in my country).

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 08, 2018, 12:33:16 PM
You will find most of the covers here:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/labels/170/browse?size=10&view=large

I do not consider myself able to talk about these covers as being art, and the booklets do not give the name of the "artist".

There is no information of the recording date. Indirectly one can conclude, that it must have been later than 1990, because some of  the pianists activities in the year 1990 are mentioned. Presto writes that the release date was 18.9.2005, It is difficult to remember exactly, but I think I got them a few years earlier (from a daler in my country.

Excellent help with the link, thanks! Strange release that doesn't mention recording dates...

Cheers & best,

Jens

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 08, 2018, 11:23:40 AM

Yes, have you heard Egorov's op 111 here?  I think it's rather good

http://www.russiancdshop.com/music.php?zobraz=details&id=25515&lang=de
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 08, 2018, 01:17:02 PM
Yes, have you heard Egorov's op 111 here?  I think it's rather good

http://www.russiancdshop.com/music.php?zobraz=details&id=25515&lang=de

In the "Russian collective cycle" op. 111 is played by Igor Lebedev. Egorov only plays op. 101.

Pavel Egorov seems to have recorded op. 111 on another CD, which isn't part of this cycle, and which I haven't heard.

BTW he died of cancer 15.8.2017, aged 69. RIP.

prémont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 08, 2018, 12:54:14 PM
Excellent help with the link, thanks! Strange release that doesn't mention recording dates...

Cheers & best,

Jens

If you want to purchase the set, you can get most of the volumes even cheaper here:

https://www.jpc.de/s/Audiophile?searchtype=label

prémont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 08, 2018, 12:54:14 PM

Cheers & best,

Jens

I found the recording dates - not in the booklets - but on the rear side of the cover, saying 1992 / 93.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 09, 2018, 03:12:50 AM
I found the recording dates - not in the booklets - but on the rear side of the cover, saying 1992 / 93.

Ta-Daa! Thanks so much!

SurprisedByBeauty

Known to some of you, surely, but new to me:

Beethoven Sonata Survey: Akiyoshi Sako  on Camerata (9 volumes)]

All recorded live in 2001 (?)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 09, 2018, 11:37:11 AM
Known to some of you, surely, but new to me:

Beethoven Sonata Survey: Akiyoshi Sako  on Camerata (9 volumes)]

All recorded live in 2001 (?)

I just realized that I had already had that in my survey... but without the Amazon links (I've found all volumes to link to on Amazon.com) and with the wrong dates. So that's corrected right here:

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/06/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete_21.html

Madiel

Quote from: Mandryka on January 07, 2018, 07:08:24 AM

I'm not sure that Colombo isn't a real pianist. I mean I believe he does play a piano because I met someone who said they saw him, but maybe to piano folks it's just obvious that it's been programmed. Here are some of his live recordings

http://www.claudiocolombo.net/acustiche.htm

They're "Live" recordings, rather than live recordings.

It's vaguely possible that Colombo occasionally really does play piano, but there's no doubt in my mind at all that a lot of his ridiculously large repertoire is completely fake. I complained to Deezer, Amazon and iTunes on the grounds that such misleading dross should simply not be put anywhere that it can make money.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

prémont

Quote from: ørfeo on January 10, 2018, 02:03:49 AM
..... but there's no doubt in my mind at all that a lot of his ridiculously large repertoire is completely fake.

Fake? Joyce Hatto once more?

Todd

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 10, 2018, 05:21:12 AM
Fake? Joyce Hatto once more?

No, not Joyce Hatto.  From Colombo's site: "All the tracks performed by Claudio Colombo, on Yamaha digital pianos."  The definition of the word "performed" is a bit plastic here.

Colombo's repertoire, from his website, includes all or the majority of the works of the below composers.  If someone wants to consider Colombo legitimate, he or she is free to do so.

Colombo's repertoire:
Albéniz, Albinoni, Alkan, American Ragtimes, C.P.E. Bach, J.S. Bach, W.F. Bach, Bach-Reger, Bartók, Beethoven, Beethoven-Liszt, Benda, Beyer, Bizet, Borodin, Brahms, Busoni, Chabrier, Chopin, Cimarosa, Clementi, F. Couperin, Cramer, Czerny, Debussy, Duparc, Durante, Dussek, Dvořák, Falla, Fauré, Fitzwilliam Virginal Book, Franck, Frescobaldi, García Lorca, Gershwin, Gesualdo da Venosa, Granados, Grieg, Haendel, Haydn, Hindemith, Ibert, Janáček, Joplin, Kabalevsky, Khachaturian, Kodaly, Liszt, Lyapunov, MacDowell, Martinů, Mascagni, Mendelssohn, Messiaen, Milhaud, Mompou, Moscheles, Moszkowski, Mozart, Mussorgsky, Paradisi, Pescetti, Poulenc, Pozzoli, Prokofiev, Purcell, Rachmaninoff, Rameau, Ravel, Respighi, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rodrigo, Rossini, Saint-Saëns, Satie, D. Scarlatti, Schubert, Schumann, Scriabin, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Smetana, Soler, Stravinsky, Szymanowski, Tchaikovsky, Telemann, Verdi, Villa-Lobos, Vivaldi, Wagner, Weber, Weill, Wieck, Wolf
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

There's a discussion about him on this piano forum

http://www.pianosociety.com/threads/claudio-colombo.1990/page-2

where everyone seems convinced that they're midi performances, and then someone says

QuoteDuring the past weekend I exchanged some emails with Claudio Colombo. I invited him to join the thread but he hedged by pleading his poor English. So, FYI (and with his blessing) I'll shortly report here what he told me about his recording procedures.

The music he records is performed by him, not MIDI-sequenced or, worse, stolen from other pianists (in spite of some of you evoking Setrak). Claudio told me he plays the piece on his digital piano, at a convenient speed (how much he slows down depends on the difficulty of the music, but he is a very good reader and long accustomed with most of the music he decides to record). In case of mistakes he remakes the recording as to the portion of music affected by the error(s). A slightly different procedure is employed when he records duos, since a metronome is needed to synchronize the additional track. He's a piano teacher and the recordings also serve educational purpose for his pupils. That's it.

And later on Claudio makes this contribution to the discussion

QuoteHy everyone.

My self-presentation is not needed, I suppose: I am the subject of this thread.

This is the exact text, word by word, of my e-mail message sent to Alfonso Bertazzi at 23.04 04/01/2008:

Ciao Alfonso. Sì, mi ricordo di te. Ricordo che abbiamo dialogato piacevolmente sul ng, ma non rammento il tema della discussione. Ho sempre letto con molto interesse i tuoi post, ma apprendo ora da te che non partecipi più alla vita del gruppo. Io stesso mi sono limitato a un paio di interventi negli ultimi due anni, per il resto leggiucchio rarissimamente, ma proprio non ho tempo.

Ho appena letto la discussione che mi hai segnalato. Interessante. Non è la prima, sui vari forum che si occupano di musica classica: i toni sono sempre gli stessi. E mai nessuno che si decida ad aprire il suo programma di posta per scrivermi e chiedermi "come faccio". Il "come faccio" secondo me per un musicista, o quantomeno un conoscitore della musica non superficiale, dovrebbe essere ovvio. E infatti tu l'hai capito perfettamente. Altri pianisti l'hanno capito, mi hanno scritto per chiedere conferma, e siamo diventati amici, seppure in forma elettronica.

Per essere più precisi: prendo un pezzo, lo leggo a velocità ridotta, lo rileggo a velocità di esecuzione, o quasi (dipende dalla difficoltà). Durante questa fase definisco i criteri d'interpretazione. Quindi registro. A velocità ridotta, certamente. Quanto ridotta dipende sempre dalla difficoltà tecnica (ho una discreta facilità di lettura, e questo aiuta molto, e quasi sempre conosco già da molti anni i pezzi che sto per incidere, anche se non li ho mai studiati in maniera ortodossa, o magari li ho solo fatti studiare ai miei allievi). Per la registrazione uso Sonar. Cerco di buttarmi il più possibile, ma NON correggo gli errori in Sonar. Se il passaggio non è perfetto mi fermo, cancello da dove ci sono problemi, riprovo il passaggio e poi riprendo la registrazione facendo partire il midi da un po' prima, a volte parecchio prima. Non uso Gigastudio se non per le registrazioni con altri strumenti che non siano a tastiera La tecnica, velocità a parte (e non sempre), non è diversa da quella del montaggio audio nelle sale di incisione tradizionali. Recentemente ho visto un filmato di Glenn Gould che registrava Bach cucendo, ricucendo, ripetendo, smontando e rimontando. Il risultato è fantastico, musicalmente parlando. A me non è mai passato per l'anticamera del cervello di smontare la mia lavatrice per vedere come fa, senza mani, a lavare così bene. Mi interessa che il bucato sia pulito.

Il concetto del bucato, trasferito al mio lavoro, è questo: non me ne importa niente delle mie mani (a maggior ragione trovo imbarazzante che se ne preoccupi qualcun altro), di quanto sia considerato bravo o maldestro, leale o disonesto, mi interessa che quella musica venga conosciuta da tanta gente, potenzialmente da tutti. Non il suo esecutore, ma la musica. So per certo che ci sono tantissimi studenti che si servono di alcune mie registrazioni per trarre suggerimenti. I miei stessi allievi sono fra questi (così non mi telefonano a orari impossibili per chiedermi come si realizza un abbellimento, perché se lo erano dimenticato). Ho anche registrato apposta, su richiesta, dei pezzi che dovevano essere eseguiti a breve ad un esame, o a un saggio, e dei quali non c'erano incisioni disponibili (con il maestro in tournée, o al mare...). I partecipanti a quel forum non hanno nemmeno pensato di andare a vedere la mia home page in italiano, quindi non sanno che sono un insegnante. Poco male.

Ti ringrazio molto per la "soffiata", ma credo che non interverrò in quella discussione. Il mio inglese è pessimo, fra l'altro, e non riuscirei a spiegare convenientemente che secondo me un musicista non è un circense, e che un esecutore deve essere al servizio del compositore, e non della propria fama. Peraltro i loro sospetti si basano sugli indizi sbagliati: nelle esecuzioni solistiche ovviamente non uso il metronomo (nei duo e negli ensemble sì, altrimenti sfido chiunque ad andare a tempo con un partner che non si vede; chi ci ha provato, non faccio nomi, ha combinato disastri), quindi se dicono che suono perfettamente a tempo mi fanno un complimento: uno scarto nell'agogica a velocità ridotta si amplifica accelerando. In realtà nelle mie registrazioni gli scarti li sento eccome, e qualche volta sono palesemente eccessivi. La prova che baro sulla velocità si trova facilmente ascoltando la dinamica dei trilli: io ho una grandissima facilità nell'esecuzione degli abbellimenti, ma certe volte sembro una macchina da cucire... neanche ABM poteva tanto, benché spaccasse le noci col mignolo, con nonchalance, per stupire i commensali. C'è una lunga serie di trilli nella parte finale della Grande Fuga op.133 di LvB che sembra l'allarme dell'ascensore del mio condominio. Il rilievo dell'infallibilità tecnica, beh, è ridicolo: chi è che lascia degli errori nelle registrazioni in studio?

Conosci quell'aneddoto raccontato in più di un'occasione da Piero Rattalino... di quella ragazza molto raccomandata che arrivò a incidere un disco, nonostante non fosse proprio un pianista fenomenale. Dopo aver ascoltato il laboriosissimo montaggio della sua registrazione con un tecnico del suono, lei disse: "Bene, no?" E l'altro: "Le piacerebbe saper suonare così, vero signorina?".

Comunque, per concludere, c'è un pianista di cui non ricordo il nome e di cui credevo di avere conservato un link (ma mi sbagliavo) ad un sito approntato da lui, che adopera esattamente il mio sistema. Lo ha dichiarato nel sito spiegando per filo e per segno cosa fa e perché lo fa. Spiega anche che suonare a una velocità diversa da quella definitiva è molto difficile perché bisogna tradurre al volo il significato musicale di quello che si sta eseguendo proiettandolo sull'esecuzione "ufficiale". E' vero che non è facile, richiede una lunga esperienza, ma è certamente più difficile suonare tutto alla velocità giusta. Insomma, non mi sembrava il caso di spiegarlo, sa tanto di excusatio non petita, e comunque lo capiamo in dodici. Peraltro dai demo avevo ricavato una ben modesta impressione (non ha per esempio risolto la grana del timing del pedale di risonanza, e non ha capito che i movimenti dei salti vanno rallentati esattamente come tutto il resto).

Ciao, e ancora grazie.

Claudio

I'm kind of hoping someone will translate, I can't read Italian.

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on January 10, 2018, 05:54:25 AMwhere everyone seems convinced that they're midi performances, and then someone says

Well, that clinches it.

What's that quote attributed to PT Barnum?

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on January 10, 2018, 05:55:56 AM

Well, that clinches it.

Well I'd still be like to know what's in Claudio's own contribution to the thread before commenting.

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on January 10, 2018, 05:54:25 AM
I'm kind of hoping someone will translate, I can't read Italian.

You've heard of Google Translate, yes?

Anyway, if you want to believe Claudio Colombo is a legitimate pianist, and if you want to listen to digital pianos, you are certainly free to do so.