Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Oldnslow on August 06, 2011, 04:17:44 PM
Toccatta & Fugue--any idea where to source the recent Tchetuev CDs?
JPC in Germany has them, but shipping to the US is prohibitive unless one orders quite a few CDs--they have a flat rate. Their product prices are rather high, too. I just emailed MDT since they have the first 3 volumes--I'm waiting for a reply. Their prices are much better than JPC's.

Antoine Marchand

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on August 07, 2011, 01:37:04 PM
Yes, but they have only vol 1-3--we're talking vol.4&5!

Sorry, then I don't understand your logical process, since they (CD Universe) also have the three first volumes, as you stated about MDT... and prices are better.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: toñito on August 07, 2011, 02:01:42 PM
Sorry, then I don't understand your logical process, since they (CD Universe) also have the three first volumes, as you stated about MDT... and prices are better.

We are trying g to find the more recent vol. 4 and 5. Both CDUniverse and MDT have the first three only. JPC has vol 4 but it is far more expensive than those other two sources--if they had it! MDT's price for Caro Mitas CDs is lower than CDUniverse's. Dang...this is getting complicated!

Oldnslow

By the way, there is a very fine video on youtube of Igor Tchetuev playing Mozart's Concerton No.9, K.271, with the Moscow Virtuousi conducted by Maxim Vengerov. This guy is just superb.

Kontrapunctus

Here is the reply from MDT regarding Tchetuev's Caro Mitis releases:

"We have had no news yet from the UK distributor when they plan to release them in the UK.
As soon as we do we will add the items to our web site, hopefully it will be in a few months."

Oldnslow

I sent ArkivMusic an email and they replied that they are checking into why the subsequent volumes have not been available in the US, as their site offers vols. 1-3

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Oldnslow on August 07, 2011, 09:24:52 PM
By the way, there is a very fine video on youtube of Igor Tchetuev playing Mozart's Concerton No.9, K.271, with the Moscow Virtuousi conducted by Maxim Vengerov. This guy is just superb.

As long as we've temporarily veered off track, his Schnittke Sonatas are amazing, too.  :D

Bulldog

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on August 08, 2011, 07:36:10 AM
Here is the reply from MDT regarding Tchetuev's Caro Mitis releases:

"We have had no news yet from the UK distributor when they plan to release them in the UK.
As soon as we do we will add the items to our web site, hopefully it will be in a few months."

Just be patient.  Those additional volumes will show up  soon.

Mandryka

Quote from: Oldnslow on August 07, 2011, 09:24:52 PM

And some very good Chopin on Spotify, which prompted me to get Vol 3 of the Beethoven
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

How do folks rate the three available Barenboim cycles (EMI, DG and DVD EMI)?

I've only heard the DG.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

mc ukrneal

Quote from: George on August 09, 2011, 04:01:19 AM

I've only heard the DG.
I'll let someone else compare the three (I have heard pieces of them all, but only a few discs worth). I have heard the DVDs in their entirety. The DVD does have a few advantages. First, it has the master classes, which I have now seen many times and feel they are really priceless. It is really quite amazing to listen to his thinking. They are really informative. Each masterclass also has a general Q&A. This is 4 hours of rich material that bears up to repeated listening/watching. Second, technically, the DVD is not as good as the others. You can clearly hear when he makes some mistakes in the playing (a minus, though being live has certain advantages too). That said, I enjoyed watching them being played and it is clear that whatever mistkaes he makes (and any disagreement you may have with the interpretations) that this is clearly someone who has 'mastered' the material and thought about how he wants to shape the music. His understanding of Beethoven is abundently evident and is worth it for that alone. I don;t think the mistakes take away from the impact, but could be important to you, so I mention it.

If you are going to ONLY listen to the music (and the masterclass doesn't interest), then the DVD is not the way to go for you. But if not, I would view the DVD as either the one to get or a necessary supplement to any Beethoven cycle. I think some of the masterclasses are on youtube as well if you are interested (they used to be - I assume they are still there).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

George

Thanks, thanks was very helpful!  :)

Brahmsian

How do folks rate the three available Barenboim cycles EMI

This is the set I have George.  Good thing it's not an LP set or cassette, or it would have been worn out a long time ago!   :) 8)

It's gold George, gold!  :D

Todd

1.) EMI DVD cycle
2.) EMI & DG cycles (tie)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: Todd on August 09, 2011, 06:33:42 AM

1.) EMI DVD cycle
2.) EMI & DG cycles (tie)

Thanks! I was hoping you'd stop by.  :)

Todd

Quote from: George on August 09, 2011, 06:40:17 AMI was hoping you'd stop by.

How could I not? 

I think it is fair to say that the DG cycle gets less love than the EMI cycle by most people, but I find them different enough, but with enough of the same traits, to say they are about equal.  I don't know for sure what would happen if push came to shove . . .
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lethevich

Quote from: Todd on August 09, 2011, 06:44:14 AM
I don't know for sure what would happen if push came to shove . . .

I didn't know Daniel was so violent ;)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kontrapunctus

I found this message on SACD.net today:

Let me comment on the current status of Caro Mitis US distribution

Albany (the distributor) has a number of outdated payments and, because of that, they are not ordering new titles. Shame. We got a number of messages from US customers and I do understand your concern. I'll follow up and personally discuss things with Albany management.

Michael Serebrynayi
Caro Mitis

Maybe once they pay their bills, we can get some more Igor Tchetuev Beethoven Sonatas.  :)