Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

I have looked through Jens' link of the overview of sonata sets and I just wanted confirmation if my following understanding is correct regarding the various Brendel incarnations please :

------------
Brendel I on Vox (in various releases) is the same as the Brilliant release ? 

----------------
Brendel II is Philips analog and has been re-released on the Decca boxset  ?

------------------
These 2 partial CD's are part of the Brendel II ?

----------------
Brendel III is digital Philips and is only this incarnation, no re-release ?

thank you.

Olivier

Renfield

I believe you are correct on all counts; though there is another re-release of the 70s cycle:

Opus106

Brendel I = Vox, re-released by Brilliant.

Not sure about the second cycle. But it was more widely released last year in a set that also includes the concerti (Haitink).

Brendel III, recorded in the 90s, released by Philips, and re-released by Decca (same peek-a-boo cover) a few years ago.
Regards,
Navneeth

Papy Oli

Olivier

kishnevi

Are these worth getting?
[asin]B005CIPMVW[/asin]

I think it was Todd who said he had problems with the sound quality,  but this is a very budgety price, although I've never heard of the label.

And this pianist, with whom I'm unfamiliar.
[asin]B000W7SB02[/asin]
[asin]B000W7SB0C[/asin]

Marc

Quote from: Opus106 on August 14, 2011, 05:23:25 AM
[....]
Brendel III, recorded in the 90s, released by Philips, and re-released by Decca (same peek-a-boo cover) a few years ago.

So this must be the mystery one ;D:

(Bought it about 5 years ago .... another re-release of the third set.)

Opus106

Quote from: Marc on August 18, 2011, 11:04:39 AM
So this must be the mystery one ;D:

(Bought it about 5 years ago .... another re-release of the third set.)

I'm guessing it was one of those sets which was sold at only one shop in a tiny lane somewhere in Amsterdam? :P ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

prémont

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 17, 2011, 08:45:05 AM
Are these worth getting?
[asin]B005CIPMVW[/asin]

I think it was Todd who said he had problems with the sound quality,  but this is a very budgety price, although I've never heard of the label.

I have owned this Schnabel release (discarded it rather fast). The sound quality is horrible, even worse than the too much filtered EMI release from the 1990es.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 18, 2011, 12:03:06 PM
I have owned this Schnabel release (discarded it rather fast). The sound quality is horrible, even worse than the too much filtered EMI release from the 1990es.

Damn, didn't know it could have gotten worse than that:o
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Marc

Quote from: Opus106 on August 18, 2011, 11:22:27 AM
I'm guessing it was one of those sets which was sold at only one shop in a tiny lane somewhere in Amsterdam? :P ;D

Hm, I'm trying so hard to remember .... I keep on trying ....

AAAAAAAAH! YES!

The lady who sold it to me was called Blonde Sjaan, and her shop was located in the Oudezijds Achterburgwal.

:P ;D

kishnevi

Quote from: George on August 18, 2011, 12:06:09 PM
Damn, didn't know it could have gotten worse than that:o

Okay, I'll drop that off the wishlist.  Thank you gentlemen.

George

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 18, 2011, 01:36:03 PM
Okay, I'll drop that off the wishlist.  Thank you gentlemen.

Have you heard (or own) any of other transfers? The Naxos remain my favorite and can be ordered easily from MDT: click here.

Each CD is $7.43 (US customers don't pay the VAT.)

kishnevi

Quote from: George on August 18, 2011, 01:42:15 PM
Have you heard (or own) any of other transfers? The Naxos remain my favorite and can be ordered easily from MDT: click here.

Thanks, but I'll pass for now.  My interest in historical recordings is considerably lower than average, in part because of all the sound quality issues. Better a live dog than a dead lion may be the appropriate proverb.  This particular one caught my eye because it's priced at $17 and change.

Clever Hans

Quote from: George on August 18, 2011, 01:42:15 PM

Apparently these and many naxos releases can also be downloaded in cd quality (flac, apple lossless, etc) from qobuz.com
(I used this site to obtain a release I couldn't wait for and it's reliable)
e.g.
http://www.qobuz.com/telechargement-album-mp3/BEETHOVEN-Piano-Sonatas-Nos.-14-16-Schnabel-1933-1937-/Classique//Naxos/default/fiche_produit/id_produit-0636943175927.html?qref=sre_1_1

I still think the shinseido releases floating around the internet with japanese transfers seem to have more bass generally and a similar approach to hiss.
Based on samples, there are a few places where the naxos seem a little thin and even too equalized. The shinseido sound like a more direct quality rip from best sources (and we all know how assiduous the japanese are as collectors).
The exception to this is the concertos where the naxos releases are definitely superior in highs.
I will probably pull trigger on all the naxos releases some day, however.

Pearl of course leaves it up to you with tone knob, an option for stereo but not headphones.

George

Quote from: Clever Hans on August 18, 2011, 02:19:49 PM
I still think the shinseido releases floating around the internet with japanese transfers seem to have more bass generally and a similar approach to hiss.

Yes, initially, I liked them more, but ultimately I find the highs to sound veiled to me. The Naxos certainly aren't perfect, but they are the best match for my taste. 

Clever Hans

Quote from: George on August 18, 2011, 02:28:40 PM
Yes, initially, I liked them more, but ultimately I find the highs to sound veiled to me. The Naxos certainly aren't perfect, but they are the best match for my taste.

I suppose I will have to get them then.
In any case, he is amazing.

SOo...

what do people think about Brendel's three sets (vox, Philips I and II) and some extra live sonatas (same deal with schubert - vox, analog, digital, live in snape etc)?

Some thoughts:
people really seem to hate how fussy he is in the last set while others think it's the deepest in late sonatas. The vox may be too perfunctory in the late pieces. Thus, Philips I is the compromise choice.

I would like to hear how people think his earlier sonatas compare with Kempff and Gulda's.
Premont's comments have made me appreciate Kempff quite a lot, especially for his taste and tone. And his Schubert performances are a nice antidote to more ruminative approaches.

Todd

Quote from: Clever Hans on August 18, 2011, 02:42:28 PM
Thus, Philips I is the compromise choice.

I would like to hear how people think his earlier sonatas compare with Kempff and Gulda's.

I don't know if I'd say it's a compromise choice so much as the best choice.  Brendel's LvB, both generally and in the early sonatas, is more detached and cool and analytical than Kempff's (or most cyles) and less intense, energetic, and focused than Gulda's Amadeo cycle.  Brendel's technique does not match Gulda's either, which is rather obvious in, say, 2/3. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Clever Hans

Quote from: Todd on August 18, 2011, 02:51:35 PM

I don't know if I'd say it's a compromise choice so much as the best choice.  Brendel's LvB, both generally and in the early sonatas, is more detached and cool and analytical than Kempff's (or most cyles) and less intense, energetic, and focused than Gulda's Amadeo cycle.  Brendel's technique does not match Gulda's either, which is rather obvious in, say, 2/3.

Thanks. Do you feel the same about Brendel's schubert and in Beethoven do you think he ever matches Kempff?

Oldnslow

As to the Schnabel,  I can recommend the Musical Concepts boxed set. Fidelity perfectly acceptable and price very reasonable at Amazon. There was a defect on the first disk in the first few sets that has been corrected. Everyone should have this classic set.

George

Quote from: Clever Hans on August 18, 2011, 02:42:28 PM
I suppose I will have to get them then.

You'll also be supporting the only label that makes quality transfers of historical performance at budget prices. 

QuoteIn any case, he is amazing.

Indeed he is.  :)

Quotewhat do people think about Brendel's three sets (vox, Philips I and II) and some extra live sonatas (same deal with schubert - vox, analog, digital, live in snape etc)?

I've only heard the Vox and didn't like it. I like almost every other Beethoven pianist I have heard more than him.

Gulda I loved instantly and still love. Kempff I liked at first, then didn't like for awhile, then I revisited and he's really grown on me.