Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Clever Hans on August 18, 2011, 02:54:40 PMDo you feel the same about Brendel's schubert and in Beethoven do you think he ever matches Kempff?

He never quite matches Kempff, which is even harder in Schubert than in Beethoven.  That written, I find Brendel more compelling in Schubert than Beethoven.  He moves beyond cool to cold, which offers unique insights, and his D959 (studio or live) is among the best I've heard. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: Todd on August 18, 2011, 03:07:50 PM
I find Brendel more compelling in Schubert than Beethoven.  He moves beyond cool to cold, which offers unique insights, and his D959 (studio or live) is among the best I've heard.

I agree.

Other than his 959, I find Haydn to be where Brendel really shines.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

If any of you have this set, can you please PM me?

I have a friend who has the set, but his has two copies of CD 1, none of CD 2. 

Bulldog

Quote from: George on August 18, 2011, 03:17:41 PM
Other than his 959, I find Haydn to be where Brendel really shines.

We're on the same page. 8)

George

Quote from: Bulldog on August 18, 2011, 04:17:18 PM
We're on the same page. 8)

Imagine that! And I have Tureck's Goldberg variations playing in the background too! (The 1988 VAI, not the DG)

prémont

Quote from: George on August 18, 2011, 12:06:09 PM
Damn, didn't know it could have gotten worse than that:o

Nor did I. It is not only heavily filtered, but the sound of the piano is unstable, vibrating.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Holden

Quote from: George on August 18, 2011, 04:06:22 PM

If any of you have this set, can you please PM me?

I have a friend who has the set, but his has two copies of CD 1, none of CD 2.

Hello George

I don't have that set but I do have this which contains most of that and more.

Let me know if this is helpful
Cheers

Holden

prémont

Quote from: Holden on August 19, 2011, 01:39:57 AM

There is no overlapping at all.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

George

Hello George

Let me know if this is helpful

Thanks Holden! As premont says, it appears that they don't have the same performances as the set I inquired about.

Holden

Quote from: George on August 19, 2011, 03:07:01 AM
Thanks Holden! As premont says, it appears that they don't have the same performances as the set I inquired about.

Yes, you're correct (too many after works drinkies on a Friday). This is actually good news if the Philips CD can be found as it would give us 19 of the 32 by Richter-Haaser.
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on August 19, 2011, 01:38:48 PM
Yes, you're correct (too many after works drinkies on a Friday). This is actually good news if the Philips CD can be found as it would give us 19 of the 32 by Richter-Haaser.

;D

So I take it that you enjoy his Beethoven? Is he one of your favorites?

Todd

Hmm, most interesting, and only $24 at MDT and $18 at Amazon France.  Should I, I wonder?

Holden

Quote from: George on August 19, 2011, 01:54:54 PM
;D

So I take it that you enjoy his Beethoven? Is he one of your favorites?

In certain of the sonatas he is one of my favourites, especially Op 2. I got the set specifically for this and his excellent G minor Fantasie Op 77 which I had owned in my LP days. I wasn't disappointed with the performances but there is a bit of tape 'wow' evident in places. HR-H performs LvB in a very straightforward manner and at the same time has some quite original ideas.
Cheers

Holden

Todd

Quote from: Holden on August 20, 2011, 12:03:45 PMIn certain of the sonatas he is one of my favourites, especially Op 2.

Intriguing.  I ordered the 6 CD set, so I will soon here his playing.  I must confess, Op 2, Op 31, and the last three sonata, plus the last three concertos is almost a dream litmus test for LvB.

jlaurson

Quote from: Holden on August 19, 2011, 01:38:48 PM

I love the Philips -- op.101 especially-- but am ambivalent about most of those EMI efforts. Extremely understated Beethoven that emerges, as you hear a whole sonata, in all its glory.

Melvyn M. Sobel

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 28, 2011, 11:07:17 AM
It is a new recording, a live recording. I have ordered it already and expect to receive it witin a week or so.

Any word on this live Buchbinder set? I recall owning his complete traversal (#1) on LP and not being overly impressed. Is his 2nd complete approach any different? How about sound, etc.?
Mel

Todd

SonicMan46

Hi Todd - just received the disc below w/ Penelope Crawford playing the last 3 sonatas on her fortepiano - have just done a single listening so far; the reviews have been rather raving - just wondering if you've had a chance yet to hear these performances?  Thanks - Dave :)

Todd

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 16, 2011, 06:13:50 PMjust wondering if you've had a chance yet to hear these performances?

At this point I have not.  I'm more a modern piano kinda guy, though as I run out of modern pianos I will invariably have to devote more time to HIP performances.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Todd on September 16, 2011, 06:24:19 PM
At this point I have not.  I'm more a modern piano kinda guy, though as I run out of modern pianos I will invariably have to devote more time to HIP performances.

Thanks Todd for your quick response - Crawford plays her restored 1835 Conrad Graf (Vienna) fortepiano which to my ears sounds quite modern; the recording is done well and the sound of the piano is up front w/ little extraneous noise from the instrument.

For those who may be interested in these works performed on a piano of the era, please review the attachment (from Fanfare, Sept-Oct 2011 issue).  Penelope Crawford is a long time faculty member at the University of Michigan, where I did my undergraduate & medical school education, so I must have some kind of affinity for her recordings?  Not sure if this will be a continual series but this first performance is enjoyable for those wanting a period instrument - looking forward to comments from others who have heard this disc - :)