Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

It's the right thing.  Why insist on his rushing it, and then turn around and criticize him for patches of flagging inspiration?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Quote from: Arnold on May 24, 2012, 10:06:10 AM
Re: Jonathan Biss recording schedule of the Beethoven sonatas

In May, I went into the studio to record four Beethoven sonatas, which constitute the first volume of what by the end of the decade, God and my sanity willing, will be a complete cycle of the 32 sonatas. This page will be devoted to the experience of living with this music/climbing this Everest.

From his blog about this project.

Thanks for the link. He seems to have written a lot despite his performing and recording schedule. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on May 24, 2012, 10:07:34 AMWhy insist on his rushing it

Because I want it now!  Will I be able to find alternatives?

(Bavouzet is taking a similarly long view with Haydn, damn it.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: Todd on May 24, 2012, 10:28:53 AM

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Leon

Yes, but he already has three volumes out.

:)

Leon

Too bad this is OOP

It is available through eMusic.  But, I will try to find it for less $ than Amazon's 3rd-party sellers are asking.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on May 24, 2012, 10:43:06 AM
Too bad this is OOP

It is available through eMusic.  But, I will try to find it for less $ than Amazon's 3rd-party sellers are asking.

It seems like something that I would like too, but reviews have been all over the board and I bailed when the opportunity arose. Probably a mistake, but caution got the better of me. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 24, 2012, 10:56:36 AM
It seems like something that I would like too, but reviews have been all over the board and I bailed when the opportunity arose. Probably a mistake, but caution got the better of me. :-\

8)

Odd about the reviews since these are all first rate musicians.  I have yet to be disappointed by Bilson.  This was a project from Cornell's music program with Bilson and some of his former students, early in their careers, and it could be that their artistic personalities were not fully formed.

I'm curious.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on May 24, 2012, 11:05:09 AM
Odd about the reviews since these are all first rate musicians.  I have yet to be disappointed by Bilson.  This was a project from Cornell's music program with Bilson and some of his former students, early in their careers, and it could be that their artistic personalities were not fully formed.

I'm curious.

Me too. I know more now than I did then (2007?) when I first ran across it. For one thing, who to share tastes with. Probably now I wouldn't even hesitate. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

That's a river we cannot step into twice . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: Brian on May 24, 2012, 08:37:53 AM
That's fantastic! And I know you; Beethoven's pretty essential. Chopin too ;)

Yep, but she's so cool that I could overlook her not liking Chopin.  :D
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Florestan

Quote from: George on May 24, 2012, 03:09:56 PM
Yep, but she's so cool that I could overlook her not liking Chopin.  :D

We want pictures!!!  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Leon

Because I want it now!  Will I be able to find alternatives?

Speaking of Bavouzet, I just bought vol. 1 of what looks like another new set of Beethoven sonatas.  Just released on May 1st (as d/l; CD available May 29th) the first three discs are not priced friendly, but I opted for the download for $5.99.

[asin]B007KWD72E[/asin]

He chose to release them in numerical order, not my preference (I like it when there is a program of sonatas, from all periods on a disc), and I am listening to No. 1 in F Minor, Op. 2 right now.  Since I like Bavouzet's playing and have yet to be disappointed, I expect that this set will rise to the top of my collection.  No nonsense Beethoven, but (so far) conveyed with absolute technical command and some flair.  I especially like the recorded sound, not absolutely dry, just the right amount of early reflection and not closely miked - just about perfect, IMO.

George

Quote from: Florestan on May 25, 2012, 12:32:24 AM
We want pictures!!!  ;D

;D

Funny, I spoke to her last night and I thought our communication was poor. She didn't get my jokes, couldn't really keep up with me and she also mentioned that she lied about her age, that she's 7 years older than she indicates on her online dating profile. And she was over a half hour late for our first date. So I don't see this as having long term potential and she's not the "fun" type that I feel I could just hang out with and be more casual with. My best friend, who is a woman, suggested I not see her again, based only on the fact that she lied about her age.

Sorry for the off topic rant, guys, but if any of you have any thoughts on this please PM them to me?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

My thought is pretty simple, so I'll just post it here - honesty is the foundation to any successful relationship between two human beings.

Also, I'm really ticked off that I'm at my work computer right now and going straight to vacation from the office without visiting home first, because I want that $5.99 Bavouzet download. An absurd bargain. I'm not actually a big fan of the early sonatas (my favorites begin with No 12) but at that price...

Leon

Quote from: Brian on May 25, 2012, 06:30:51 AM
I'm not actually a big fan of the early sonatas (my favorites begin with No 12) but at that price...

No. 5 and No. 8 are two of my favorites of all of the works - but I do not consider any of them "young works".

Leon

Quote from: Todd on May 25, 2012, 07:55:43 AM
I have that and FFG's second volume carted.  I only buy CDs still as MP3s sound crappy.

I cannot tell any difference in the 256 MP3s from Amazon and a CD.  So, I hardly ever buy a CD if there is a download, especially when the price is so much lower.  And I listen to Spotify to fill gaps in my purchasing.  All of the FF Guy sonatas are there, as well as the Oppitz and Biss.   I bought Lim when I saw she was not on Spotify, but opted for the iTunes d/l since is was a fraction of the cost of the CDs.  I'm really glad I did, too.

I think the CD price is low.  [...] Prices for recorded music have never been lower, adjusted for inflation.

It is often the case for a complete box of the Beethoven sonatas, usually 9 discs, will go from anywhere of $60-$90, three 3-CD volumes of Bavouzet's at ~ $40 per would make his come in at around $120.  Not what I'd call a bargain.

Think of the 78s era and how much those recordings cost.

Although my ears (and I) are old enough to not hear a difference between a good d/l and a CD, I'm not old enough to remember the price of 78s.

:D

kishnevi

Quote from: Arnold on May 25, 2012, 08:09:00 AM
I cannot tell any difference in the 256 MP3s from Amazon and a CD.  So, I hardly ever buy a CD if there is a download, especially when the price is so much lower.  And I listen to Spotify to fill gaps in my purchasing.  All of the FF Guy sonatas are there, as well as the Oppitz and Biss.   I bought Lim when I saw she was not on Spotify, but opted for the iTunes d/l since is was a fraction of the cost of the CDs.  I'm really glad I did, too.

It is often the case for a complete box of the Beethoven sonatas, usually 9 discs, will go from anywhere of $60-$90, three 3-CD volumes of Bavouzet's at ~ $40 per would make his come in at around $120.  Not what I'd call a bargain.

Although my ears (and I) are old enough to not hear a difference between a good d/l and a CD, I'm not old enough to remember the price of 78s.

:D

Presto has the Bavouzet at $31.50 (excluding VAT) plus s/h, and foreign transaction fees if applicable.  That would make the cycle about $95 US.

kishnevi

It would seem logical to me that at some point,  we'll be able to download CD-quality sound files.  Probably for a premium, and requiring larger than normal bandwidth, but I don't see why it would not be possible.  Essentially, those that want CD quality sound will download a better file for a higher price, and those that are content with less sound quality or have less resources, computer and financial, will download the lesser quality versions.

On the actual topic of this thread--I just ordered FFG's vol. 1 and vol. 2 from Arkivmusic.    I don't know how they manage it--or perhaps simply the listing is wrong--but Arkiv lists vol. 2 as being currently available, and not as a future release available for advance order, even though the item listing gives the release date as June 12.  I think their Canada connection may have something to do with it. 

Fred

Been listening to Yusuke Kikuchi (2 vols - 4 CDs downloaded from 7digital).  MASSIVE technique.  Lovely brisk interpretations.  Wonderful sound (Triton).   The last two volumes are on HMV Japan.  Am definitely going to get them, hang the cost.
In fact, I note that 7digital (and itunes) has a lot of exton recordings (Macal and Kobayashi with the Czech phil, Asahina in Osaka) at great prices.  Someone has made a mistake on some of them because they are less than 2 pounds each.