Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: jlaurson on June 13, 2012, 08:35:54 AM
Brautigam Question:

Release of BIS-SACD-1362  (volume 1)
was in 2004. Is that also the recording date?

Release of BIS-SACD-1672 (volume 9, last with core sonatas)
was in 2010. Is that also the recording date?

Vol I     was  recorded August 2003
Vol IX   was recorded August 2008

both at Österåker Kyrka, Sweden
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 13, 2012, 04:45:28 AM
Just 30. The two op.49s are missing. I haven't read the complete liner notes yet. Perhaps there is an explanation why she didn't record them. I'll check it out. Why EMI calls this Complete Piano Sonatas on the cover is anyone's guess. Well, it does read better than Almost Complete Piano Sonatas  ;D
Sarge

Now I can answer.
From EMI's PR helpers:

Quote...HJ wrote extensive essays on the pieces which are worth reading to fully understand her approach and interpretation.

Yes, HJ contends that Op. 49 nos. 1 & 2 were educational pieces and published against Beethoven's will.  She says Opus 2, No. 1 was always intended to be the first sonata so her set includes the 30 sonatas she believes complete Beethoven's intended output for the genre...

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 13, 2012, 01:21:00 PM
Vol I     was  recorded August 2003
Vol IX   was recorded August 2008
both at Österåker Kyrka, Sweden

Thanks, premont!

jlaurson

New, supplemental, installment to the (updated and to-be-further-updated) Beethoven Sonata Cycle Survey:

Beethoven Sonatas - A Survey of Complete Cycles
Ronald Brautigam's BIS Cycle

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/06/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete.html

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on June 13, 2012, 10:22:52 PM
Now I can answer.
From EMI's PR helpers:

She did include an explanation in the liner notes. I just found it in Vol.II (which I hadn't previously read). It confirms what the PR folks told you.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Todd

Yes, what did pianists like Gulda or Kempff or Backhaus or Gilels or Fischer know about Beethoven?  I'm glad Ms Lim is here to set things straight.  Henceforth, it is the 30!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

jlaurson

Part 11 of the "Am I aware of a LvB Sonata Cycle Todd doesn't already own":

King Records (Japan)
Live recordings from Tokyo's Kioi Hall, made between 2008 and 2011.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Todd on June 14, 2012, 06:46:21 AM
Yes, what did pianists like Gulda or Kempff or Backhaus or Gilels or Fischer know about Beethoven?  I'm glad Ms Lim is here to set things straight.  Henceforth, it is the 30!

Nice, round figure.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Quote from: jlaurson on June 14, 2012, 07:08:25 AM
King Records (Japan)
Live recordings from Tokyo's Kioi Hall, made between 2008 and 2011.

Hmm, it's done.  I've been waiting.  Now I can buy, at some point.  I'm taking the same approach with the Martin Roscoe cycle.

Looking at your list, I think you need to add Mejoueva (which I do own), as well as Kikuchi and Nodaira (which I do not yet own).

That's six cycles I need to order from Japan now.  Need to start pinching pennies as that will hurt given the current exchange rate.

springrite

I'm glad Ms Lim is here to set things straight.  Henceforth, it is the 30!

Yes, especially considering how the current crop are full of conservative task-masters like Lang Lang, it is about time someone comes along to wake us up a bit!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

DieNacht

Funny about Peter Rösel, I haven´t heard his Beethoven & mainly know him from his GDR period records, but he is one of the few pianists who as a rule really irritates me with his piano playing, very often phrasing contrary to what could be expected. Guess it is a sign of some originality of his, and perhaps he has done some good things too ...

kishnevi

To be fair, how many cycles include the "electoral" sonatas yet are labelled as "Complete"? Takacs, I think, but I don't know of any others--ah, reading Jen's post, I see Brautigam is exceptionally complete (supercomplete?).   And yet to be even more illogical,  some of them (Schiff, for example)  include the "Andante Favori".

Perhaps we can call Ms. Lim's set the "Incomplete Complete Sonatas".

I'm just suprised no one had come out with a Kabbalistic edition, equating each of the canonical 32 sonatas with its equivalent among the 32 Paths of the Tree of Life.

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 14, 2012, 07:45:25 AMTo be fair, how many cycles include the "electoral" sonatas yet are labelled as "Complete"?

Gilels was doing just that.  Brautigam is doing it.  Yokoyama recorded all piano works with opus numbers.  So there are a couple takes at more complete than complete.

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 14, 2012, 07:45:25 AMAnd yet to be even more illogical,  some of them include the "Andante Favori".

And now Bavouzet is including first drafts and second drafts of movements.  Could it be a new trend?

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 14, 2012, 07:45:25 AMI'm just suprised no one had come out with a Kabbalistic edition, equating each of the canonical 32 sonatas with its equivalent among the 32 Paths of the Tree of Life.

Give it time.

jlaurson

Quote from: Todd on June 14, 2012, 07:13:37 AM

Hmm, it's done.  I've been waiting.  Now I can buy, at some point.  I'm taking the same approach with the Martin Roscoe cycle.

Looking at your list, I think you need to add Mejoueva (which I do own), as well as Kikuchi and Nodaira (which I do not yet own).

That's six cycles I need to order from Japan now.  Need to start pinching pennies as that will hurt given the current exchange rate.

Ichiro Nodaira,   1998 - ???? on Nami
I have on my Excel sheet (but not yet in the list).

Yusuke Kikuchi   on Triton isn't finished, is he?
Irina         Mejoueva                WAKA
i just read on your GMG entry IS finished...

also ongoing or finished without my knowing are:

Mari   Kodama         -      Pentatone
Maurizo   Pollini         -      DG
Mitsuko   Uchida         -      Philips / Decca
Angela   Hewitt         -      Hyperion
Michael   Korstick         -      Oehms
Igor   Tchetuev         -      Caro Mitis
Jonathan   Biss         -      Onyx
Stewart   Goodyear               Marquis Classics
Paavali Jumppanen               ?
Timothy   Ehlen   2009            Azica
Takahiro    Sonoda I    1968      -   1969   
François-Frédéric   Guy               ZigZag Territories
Takahiro    Sonoda II         -      
Ikuyo   Nakamichi   2003      -   2006   
Martin   Roscoe               Deux-Elles

(Up next are Lortie, Buchbinder, Lim, Roesel. Don't know whether I should include
Claudio Colombo, 2003-2011, Yamaha digital pianos, Claudio Colombo / Believe Digital --- for a while I thought he might be an Italian Joyce Hatto.)

Todd

Quote from: jlaurson on June 14, 2012, 08:15:32 AMYusuke Kikuchi on Triton isn't finished, is he?

Yes, I do believe so.  The fourth volume came out and it appears as though he got all of them on to eight CDs.

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on June 14, 2012, 08:15:32 AM

Ichiro Nodaira,   1998 - ???? on Nami
I have on my Excel sheet (but not yet in the list).

Yusuke Kikuchi   on Triton isn't finished, is he?
Irina         Mejoueva                WAKA
i just read on your GMG entry IS finished...

also ongoing or finished without my knowing are:

Mari   Kodama         -      Pentatone
Maurizo   Pollini         -      DG
Mitsuko   Uchida         -      Philips / Decca
Angela   Hewitt         -      Hyperion
Michael   Korstick         -      Oehms
Igor   Tchetuev         -      Caro Mitis
Jonathan   Biss         -      Onyx
Stewart   Goodyear               Marquis Classics
Paavali Jumppanen               ?
Timothy   Ehlen   2009            Azica
Takahiro    Sonoda I    1968      -   1969   
François-Frédéric   Guy               ZigZag Territories
Takahiro    Sonoda II         -      
Ikuyo   Nakamichi   2003      -   2006   
Martin   Roscoe               Deux-Elles

(Up next are Lortie, Buchbinder, Lim, Roesel. Don't know whether I should include
Claudio Colombo, 2003-2011, Yamaha digital pianos, Claudio Colombo / Believe Digital --- for a while I thought he might be an Italian Joyce Hatto.)

Bavouzet/Chandos has now started.  IIRC, vol. 2 will be issued next year, and vol. 3 will complete it in 2014. 

I thought Uchida limited herself mostly to a mini-cycle of the late sonatas (the two releases with the Avedon photographs on the cover), and Pollini have never committed to a complete cycle.

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 14, 2012, 08:47:02 AM
Bavouzet/Chandos has now started.  IIRC, vol. 2 will be issued next year, and vol. 3 will complete it in 2014. 

I thought Uchida limited herself mostly to a mini-cycle of the late sonatas (the two releases with the Avedon photographs on the cover), and Pollini have never committed to a complete cycle.

Got my eyes on Bavouzet. Makes sense re: Uchida; I'll ask her when I get the occasion. DG says they should have a complete cycle of Pollini-LvB by 2015/16.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 14, 2012, 02:49:39 AM
She did include an explanation in the liner notes. I just found it in Vol.II (which I hadn't previously read). It confirms what the PR folks told you.

Sarge

I am reading those liner notes now with the same embarrassment that I read some of my impetuous, ambitious, but ultimately awful college essays when I come across one.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Holden

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 14, 2012, 07:45:25 AM
To be fair, how many cycles include the "electoral" sonatas yet are labelled as "Complete"? Takacs, I think, but I don't know of any others--ah, reading Jen's post, I see Brautigam is exceptionally complete (supercomplete?).   And yet to be even more illogical,  some of them (Schiff, for example)  include the "Andante Favori".

Jando also does the electoral sonatas.
Cheers

Holden