Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Brian on June 18, 2012, 09:01:54 AMThis is a man who's compared various Beethoven sonatas to illegal drugs.

That explains it.  He's a less erudite version of Benjamin Zander.

There are various male artists who get the glamour treatment, too - Anderszewski, Schuch, Yundi Li (or, now, just Yundi), Pahud, Dudamel to an extent - and I think it's ridiculous with them, too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Opus106

Quote from: Arnold on June 18, 2012, 08:27:57 AM
A recent, ~ 2005-2007, recording of the sonatas that is not that often mentioned, but deserves high praise is by Andras Schiff.  I was late to this party, but have beeen enjoying his playing very much since I began to listen to these discs.  As far as I know they have not been boxed up and are available as singles from ECM.

<snip>

Schiff has been around for a while, and ECM is not a traditional classical music label, so his set flew a bit under the radar.  It features ECM's generally very good recorded sound. 
:)

For someone who doesn't think about multiple recordings of a piece or a body of work (apart from a few exceptions), I'm waiting for ECM to box them up. Have you heard his Guardian Lectures, Arnold? With them loaded in my iPod, I probably listen to the episodes as often as I do to Gulda (my only complete set). :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Leon

Quote from: Opus106 on June 18, 2012, 09:10:43 AM
Have you heard his Guardian Lectures, Arnold? With them loaded in my iPod, I probably listen to the episodes as often as I do to Gulda (my only complete set). :)

I have not - but I read his interview about the Beethoven sonatas and found his comments very interesting - I will look for the lectures.

Thanks!

Brian

Quote from: Todd on June 18, 2012, 09:10:39 AM
That explains it.  He's a less erudite version of Benjamin Zander.

But with fewer pretensions, to match. He's just a rather weird silly bloke who plays piano for a living and doesn't act like anything higher or mightier.

Karl Henning

Did he bring us one-buttock blogging?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on June 18, 2012, 11:52:25 AM
Did he bring us one-buttock blogging?

No. I believe he is between buttocks.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sammy

Quote from: Todd on June 18, 2012, 07:33:38 AM

The Grrrl Power comment is basically no more than recognition that Ms Lim, her managers, and EMI are very consciously marketing this cycle partly on her gender, youth, and looks.  One literally has to be blind to not see this.  Her playing is impetuous, occasionally sloppy, not especially insightful (at best), and idiosyncratic just to be idiosyncratic. 

The above description of Lim's playing pretty much lines up with my own initial impressions.  Her pulling of tempos bugs me quite a bit and makes her sound rather sloppy.  Also, if she has great virtuosity, I haven't been able to discern it.  And when elegance is called for, Lim is a solid no-show.  For a wonderful mix of virtuosity, elegance and dignity, Richter can't be beat.  Anyways, I would predict that Lim's set will be deleted in a few years and unlikely to be reissued either.  I'm now going to play my Sherman set which is leagues above the Lim.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong about Lim's future.  I thought Lang Lang was a loser, and he seems to be the most popular classical pianist on the Planet.

snyprrr

I was just noticing Kun-Woo Paik's incredible mastery (and awesome fortissimos!) in the old Liszt recording on Virgin, when I saw he has an LvB Cycle (Decca). Certainly, his fortissimos have been commented on by others,... what's the scoop on the Late Sonatas? No one seems to really have commented on them here yet. I did check! ;)

Brian

Quote from: snyprrr on June 18, 2012, 03:07:26 PM
I was just noticing Kun-Woo Paik's incredible mastery (and awesome fortissimos!) in the old Liszt recording on Virgin, when I saw he has an LvB Cycle (Decca). Certainly, his fortissimos have been commented on by others,... what's the scoop on the Late Sonatas? No one seems to really have commented on them here yet. I did check! ;)

This is why an index of Todd's threads would be handy. Here are his comments on the full Paik cycle. ...Paikle?

kishnevi

Quote from: DavidRoss on June 18, 2012, 07:07:01 AM
Hmmm...I was quite impressed with Biss when I heard him a few years ago. Perhaps this could tempt me into a purchase...but first, let's see if Mog has his Beethoven!

I ordered his Onyx CD over the weekend. 

And I like the Schiff cycle very much, which I bought individually as it came out.  It's worth not waiting for the box set, if ECM even does one.

snyprrr

Quote from: Brian on June 18, 2012, 03:09:01 PM
This is why an index of Todd's threads would be handy. Here are his comments on the full Paik cycle. ...Paikle?

haha,... ok, got it! Yea, it iS good to have Reviews. mm,... I'll just enjoy the Liszt. ;) 8)

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 18, 2012, 06:04:30 PM

And I like the Schiff cycle very much, which I bought individually as it came out.  It's worth not waiting for the box set, if ECM even does one.

:) Good for you.

Although I must admit, what I have heard of the Schiff cycle (largely the earlier issues), I am more fond of the lectures than the performances which I somehow appreciate more in principle than actuality. Then again, I've not listened to Beethoven sonatas for a long time, which feels kind of good for the time being. When I'm back, I'll probably have to listen to whoever I have most recently received. And there's Lortie still to go through.

George

Quote from: jlaurson on June 19, 2012, 03:50:17 AM

Although I must admit, what I have heard of the Schiff cycle (largely the earlier issues), I am more fond of the lectures than the performances which I somehow appreciate more in principle than actuality.

This was my exact experience.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Opus106

Although I must admit, what I have heard of the Schiff cycle (largely the earlier issues), I am more fond of the lectures than the performances which I somehow appreciate more in principle than actuality.

Quote from: George on June 19, 2012, 04:11:21 AM
This was my exact experience.

Hmm...
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

FYI Paavali Jumppanen Beethoven Cycle

Paavali Jumppanen ... has just recently finished the recordings for the Beethoven project.  The recordings were made at Kuhmo Art Center in Finland with Steinway & Sons D-model grand piano, serial number 512465.  Post production will take some time, and then label and the distribution details will be figured out & announced.

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on June 19, 2012, 06:22:55 AM
label and the distribution details will be figured out

Exciting! ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Todd

Quote from: jlaurson on June 19, 2012, 06:22:55 AMFYI Paavali Jumppanen Beethoven Cycle

This cycle excited me when I first read about it earlier this year.  Now that it's done, I'm more excited.  His Boulez disc is superb, and his LvB Violin Sonatas are even better.  I have high expectations for this one. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

jlaurson

Quote from: Todd on June 19, 2012, 06:39:59 AM

This cycle excited me when I first read about it earlier this year.  Now that it's done, I'm more excited.  His Boulez disc is superb, and his LvB Violin Sonatas are even better.  I have high expectations for this one.

I hope it'll be Ondine... fine label and they don't have a Beethoven Cycle yet.
Now that you mentioned his Boulez, I was reminded again of how much I enjoyed that, back when.
I think Jumppa was hand-picked to play them by Boulez or a friend of his.

Dip Your Ears, No. 30a (Boulez, Piano Sonatas)

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2005/03/pierre-boulez-piano-sonatas-1-3.html

Leon

Although I must admit, what I have heard of the Schiff cycle (largely the earlier issues), I am more fond of the lectures than the performances which I somehow appreciate more in principle than actuality. Then again, I've not listened to Beethoven sonatas for a long time, which feels kind of good for the time being. When I'm back, I'll probably have to listen to whoever I have most recently received. And there's Lortie still to go through.

It could be that I listened to the Hammerklavier first - which I find to be excellent.  And in reading some reviews this disc does get high marks.  But I have read some reservations about the earlier installments. 

But there does seem to be a disconnect with what I value and what others on GMG value in performances of Beethoven piano sonatas.  Being a Classical era buff, I prefer these works played as clearly from the Classical temperament and I am not interested in hearing Beethoven played as a Romantic composer.  What I look for firstly is scrupulous adherence to the printed score and markings and technical accuracy.  I much prefer a transparent and restrained approach to violent and stormy playing which comes across to me as exaggerated.

For others what I like strikes them as unimaginative or nothing special

John O'Conor rates very high on my list, but for many he is just an also-ran.

In any event, these works are good enough to withstand many different interpretations.