Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fafner

Quote from: Todd on July 23, 2012, 01:30:01 PMAt least I've listened to 7/8ths of it.  How about you?

Listened to approximately 1/200th of it.  Sounds great so far!

Todd

Quote from: Fafner on July 23, 2012, 01:35:00 PMListened to approximately 1/200th of it.  Sounds great so far!

Why don't you listen to even one entire sonata and then opine.  As it is, you are basing your statements on sound samples.  That's rather like reading a random paragraph in a book and commenting on said book, don't you think?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Todd on July 23, 2012, 01:30:01 PM

In general, I find it rather too predictable and dull.

Thanks. That is precisely why I like Heidsieck ( after hearing 5 more sonatas from the cycle). I find him both unpredictable and interesting in all aspects of his playing.

I'll go for Lewis' op. 106. Does he show more personality in Schubert?

Fafner

Quote from: Todd on July 23, 2012, 01:37:27 PM
Why don't you listen to even one entire sonata and then opine.  As it is, you are basing your statements on sound samples.  That's rather like reading a random paragraph in a book and commenting on said book, don't you think?

I never said the Lim cycle was good.  Just that I liked the samples and wanted to hear the whole thing.

71 dB

I have been listening to Annie Fischer's (the first 15 sonatas so far) cycle. I don't know what it is but I really like her playing!

Only a couple of years ago I didn't care about Beethoven's piano sonatas but now that I have explored them I am impressed. Fischer's playing completes the bliss.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Todd

Quote from: André on July 23, 2012, 01:41:16 PMThanks. That is precisely why I like Heidsieck ( after hearing 5 more sonatas from the cycle). I find him both unpredicta and interesting in all aspects of his playing.

Completely agree.  The best thing is that the sense of unpredictability remains upon subsequent listens.  I still hear new things six years since I first got it.  The same holds true for his Mozart sonatas.  (Alas, those are only available in Japan and are quite spendy.)

Quote from: André on July 23, 2012, 01:41:16 PMDoes he show more personality in Schubert?

I've not heard his Schubert, so I can't comment.  I do have the opportunity to hear him play the last three sonatas in recital next spring.  I may very well go; it is almost universally agreed that he is better live.  It may be a good idea to get the recordings ahead of time, though.

George

Quote from: 71 dB on July 23, 2012, 01:46:47 PM
I have been listening to Annie Fischer's (the first 15 sonatas so far) cycle. I don't know what it is but I really like her playing!

Only a couple of years ago I didn't care about Beethoven's piano sonatas but now that I have explored them I am impressed. Fischer's playing completes the bliss.

Glad to hear this.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Coopmv

Quote from: George on July 23, 2012, 02:12:22 PM
Glad to hear this.

George,   Our Beethoven Piano Sonatas sets overlap a bit.  I still have to get started with the Arrau's set, my latest acquisition.  I also have little reason to go for any set by the new blood ...    ;)

Fafner

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2012, 12:34:22 PM
You sound like a good candidate to enjoy Francois-Frederic Guy.

I notice that 2/3 of the Guy cycle seems to have been released.  Anyone know if the label has given any indication of when the final installment will be available? 

Brian

Quote from: Fafner on July 23, 2012, 05:42:27 PM
I notice that 2/3 of the Guy cycle seems to have been released.  Anyone know if the label has given any indication of when the final installment will be available?

I thiiiink spring 2013. Vol 1 came out Jan '11; Vol 2 came out this June. Jens might know, maybe?

Incidentally, MusicWeb mailed me a review copy of Guy Vol 2 today, so I'm a very lucky boy. Already knew I liked it from listening on NML... but that's not cheating, honest! :)

George

So Brian and Todd like Guys?

;D

Todd

Quote from: George on July 23, 2012, 05:46:43 PMSo Brian and Todd like Guy?

I do.  The first volume is top flight.  The second is not quite as good, but nearly.  Let's say the first volume is a 10, and the second is a 9.5 or thereabouts. 

(The t-shirts on those boys are wrong, all wrong.)

George

Quote from: Todd on July 23, 2012, 05:49:34 PM

I do.  The first volume is top flight.  The second is not quite as good, but nearly.  Let's say the first volume is a 10, and the second is a 9.5 or thereabouts.

I see what you did there.  :D

I heard some of one of his sets on Spotify and thought it was OK.

Mandryka

Quote from: André on July 23, 2012, 01:41:16 PM
Thanks. That is precisely why I like Heidsieck ( after hearing 5 more sonatas from the cycle). I find him both unpredictable and interesting in all aspects of his playing.

I'll go for Lewis' op. 106. Does he show more personality in Schubert?

I listened to Heidsieck's Hammerklavier a few weeks ago and it really caught my attention.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Fafner

Sounds like Heidsieck is one that should be heard (at least while waiting for the rest of Guy and Lim to appear). 

As far as I can see, his cycle is out-of-print, with no abundance of used copies floating around.  However, the (also out-of-print, apparently) Beethoven box from EMI france is available from broinc.com for $50.

[asin]B000J0ZPH4[/asin]

It contains mostly EMI-france recordings of Beethoven's major works.  Cluytens symphonies, Hungarian Quartet, I've already pinched my copy, so have at it.

Maybe I'll make my first iTunes purchase ever and get that Lim set for $9.99.

Wheels of Cheese

I've been reviewing the first disc of the HJ Lim set on my blog Wheels of Cheese (where I am attempting to listen to and blog about every piece of music mentioned in the June 2012 edition of Gramophone Magazine, cos why not...

The link is here http://www.peter-salmon.co.uk/petersalmon/category/wheels-of-cheese/ but here's the latest post to give you a flavour of the thing...

"And so to the last of HJ Lim's journeys into The Eternal Feminine: Youth – the Opus 27 sonatas, numbers 13 and 14 – and, alas, the last of the sonatas on the first disc of her complete sonatas, and thus the last I shall hear.

Having a day off, and enjoying the glories of temperatures approaching 30 degrees Celsius, I betook myself to listen to these last two sonatas in the time honoured style of the Romantic – prone, slightly drunk, and under a tree (above). I cannot say that I was wistful, but there was definitely a certain amount of wist that inveigled its way into my otherwise taut being as I let HJ take me on one more gallop through the sonatas of Ludwig van, the sun dappling with great dapplement through the overhanging boughs.

We've been through a lot, HJ and me – was it only a few weeks ago that she was hammering out on the klavier the Hammerklavier? I was so young and so full of hope back then, far from the grey-beard loon who stands before you now, holding you with his skinny hand. Can anyone blame me for getting emotional as the opening chords of sonata 13 began – HJ's usual impetus checked by a certain degree of what the poets used to call 'melancholy' (Ludwig still obviously wasn't getting any – oh the feminine, oh the eternal!). Sure blame me, but I say unto you, let he who is without Lim cast the first stone! (Ker-ching!)

By the second movement she had regained both her piss and her vinegar and we were off for another frenetic foray into fortepiano. What, that the opening of Opus 14 also called 'The Moonlight' sonata fairly cantered along? It was just good to hear a version of the sonata where the flailing third movement actually appeared related to the first (it's time it was said). And sure, there are some nay-sayers who, between 'nays' argue that the odd pause between movements allows for a modicum of reflection. I say to them – reflect in your own time, grand-dad! HJ is in da house, and that's LvB's metronome markings she's laying down.

But now she's gone. It is possible to get the complete Complete Sonatas for some ridiculous price on iTunes, and I think you should. For all of the nonsense in the liner notes, and her tendency to play the fast movements well and the slow movements fast, this is pretty glorious music making. As for me, I now move onto the next set of cds, Martha Argerich and Friends, Live From Lugano 2011. Now what do they open with?... let's see... Martha playing... oh dear... Beethoven...

So saying, he stretched out beneath the mighty oak. And did he sleep? Reader, he slept."

Lilas Pastia

Never heard of HJ Lim before all the furore over her Beethoven. So, I went to youtube to make up my own mind. And on to the finale of Tchaikovsky's first concerto  ;D . Well, I was not floored or knocked out, but almost knocked sideways. What really impressed me was her knowledge of the score and the obvious relish she showed in just about every gesture, twist and turn of the knotty score Tchaikovsky threw at her. Where Arrau would have looked the ever patrician cardinal, Rubinstein the ultimate aristocrat and Lang Lang the incarnation of Jar Jar Binks tickling the ivory, Ms. Lim displays an intense pleasure and genuine fun in this, one of the most hackneyed scores ever.

I haven't heard her play the  Beethoven sonatas, but to be honest with whoever is reading me, after watching that succulent, awesome display, I can understand the fuss over her Beethoven. Not to sound patronizing but, apart from the young Barenboim, when is the last time you heard of a young pianist encompassing the 32 ?  I hope she develops as an artist. I'm a sucker for Tchaik 1. If she records it I'll buy it.

For Beethoven I'll watch and read carefully about her. Including GMG posters :D. And thank you all for your insights and experience.

Todd

Quote from: André on July 24, 2012, 06:47:20 PMNot to sound patronizing but, apart from the young Barenboim, when is the last time you heard of a young pianist encompassing the 32 ?

Friedrich Gulda, Yukio Yokoyama, Dino Ciani, Alfredo Perl.

Fafner

Quote from: André on July 24, 2012, 06:47:20 PM
Not to sound patronizing but, apart from the young Barenboim, when is the last time you heard of a young pianist encompassing the 32 ?

That's part of the controversy.  She recorded the complete 30.  She omitted two because they were published without Beethoven's authorization.

Todd

Quote from: Fafner on July 24, 2012, 07:05:20 PMThat's part of the controversy.

Controversy?  Nah, just a non-musical way to call attention to herself.