Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Oldnslow on August 15, 2012, 09:10:51 AM
Sorry, but you are talking to a computer illiterate, who can barely navigate a website...hehehe

No problem. ;D

The other option would be to lend me the CD. If you are willing to do that, PM me, if not, I understand.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Wakefield

Quote from: George on August 14, 2012, 07:29:40 PM
If you don't mind uploading the central movement of the Moonlight Sonata in lossless form, I'd love to add it to my mediafire folder so that folks could compare.

I know this will sound a bit weird, but I can do it.

Actually, I have this complete set, but I haven't still listened to. That's the reason why I did the previous question.

If you wait until tomorrow I will upload that movement (or more, if you want) to Mediafire.

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

George

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 15, 2012, 09:57:38 AM
I know this will sound a bit weird, but I can do it.

Actually, I have this complete set, but I haven't still listened to. That's the reason why I did the previous question.

If you wait until tomorrow I will upload that movement (or more, if you want) to Mediafire.

Great! Thanks!

I saw the box in the store today and noticed that they mention Cedar treatment on the back. Not a good sign, IMO.

Wakefield

Quote from: George on August 15, 2012, 11:20:43 AM
Great! Thanks!

I saw the box in the store today and noticed that they mention Cedar treatment on the back. Not a good sign, IMO.

I will upload it tomorrow.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

George

Lilas Pastia

Thread Duty 8) pleasure: sonatas 8-11 played by Eric Heidsieck.

Ahah! I've finally found a Beethoven sonata in which Heidsieck doesn't strike me as a beacon of classicism allied to empfingdsamkeit. This time it's sheer romanticism. In the most elevated way. Extraordinary sensibility and the capacity to transmit those musical fluids into pianistic sounds. I confess not to have heard such impetuosity and illumination into this hackneyed work. Just can't can't over the revelation.

One of the most played and well-known Beethoven sonatas, the 8th is so well known that its romantic-revolutionary character is often overlooked. Just listen to the surprising phrasing Heidsieck uses in the first movement. It totally changes the work's character.

Leon

Quote from: André on August 16, 2012, 07:11:20 PM
I confess not to have heard such impetuosity and illumination into this hackneyed work.

I really tend to doubt that Beethoven wrote a hackneyed work.  There may have been hackneyed performances or superficial listeners, but this cannot be blamed on Beethoven.

Todd

Quote from: Arnold on August 17, 2012, 04:41:40 AMI really tend to doubt that Beethoven wrote a hackneyed work.

Wellington's Victory?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

jwinter

Quote from: Todd on Today at 11:27:00 AM

Wellington's Victory?

The exception that proves the rule, I'd say.  Although something like the Pathetique sonata or the 5th symphony can certainly be over-played to the point that they seem rather hackneyed, and the sense of originality is lost (god, not that thing again...)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Mandryka

Quote from: André on August 16, 2012, 07:11:20 PM
Thread Duty 8) pleasure: sonatas 8-11 played by Eric Heidsieck.

Ahah! I've finally found a Beethoven sonata in which Heidsieck doesn't strike me as a beacon of classicism allied to empfingdsamkeit. This time it's sheer romanticism. In the most elevated way. Extraordinary sensibility and the capacity to transmit those musical fluids into pianistic sounds. I confess not to have heard such impetuosity and illumination into this hackneyed work. Just can't can't over the revelation.

One of the most played and well-known Beethoven sonatas, the 8th is so well known that its romantic-revolutionary character is often overlooked. Just listen to the surprising phrasing Heidsieck uses in the first movement. It totally changes the work's character.

Very inspiring post. I do hope you'll continue to post your impressions.

Anyway it made me listen to 8. The thing  that really struck me was the rubato. I thought it was very effective in the openiing section and in the central movement.  Also the way he sometimes plays  very detached, like in those chords in the opening slow section.

I'll just mention here a Beethoven CD I've been enjoying this week, even though it's not a sonata performance. The bagatelles in here are so lively, so inspired, so free, so mad (sorry I can't explain it, you're going to have to listen to find a better word) that as far as I'm concerned this goes to the  top of the pile of post war op 126s. The recorded sound is amazing too.

You know, by the way, that Heidsieck has rerecorded some Beethoven sonatas? I wonder if anyone has heard them.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on August 17, 2012, 10:50:05 AMYou know, by the way, that Heidsieck has rerecorded some Beethoven sonatas? I wonder if anyone has heard them.

Those discs are from concerts, I believe.  I've not heard them, though when I order from Japan next time, I will probably include at least a little Heidsieck.

BTW, he had started in on another studio cycle, but he only got through the first volume before the cycle was aborted.  It's a shame he didn't raid the family fortune to finance the rest.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lilas Pastia

Mandryka, I haven't heard the newer Heidsiecks. Heck, didn't even know they existed! I should be listening to some more this weekend. As well as some Mozart piano concertos he recorded in the late fifties.

George

For those who want to hear samples of 8 different transfers of the Schnabel Beethoven Sonatas (including the newly added Musical Concepts sample), you can download them here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?lvppl6vj4omdj

xochitl

ive really been getting a kick out of jeno jando's beethoven the last few days.  never been a fan of 'interpretations' that fool around too much, especially the old ones [only backhaus excluded so far].   - i just wanna hear the score, dammit!.  strong, direct, hair-raisingly virtuosic and impeccable pianism that untangles the thicket of notes, and respects ALL the dynamic markings [gasp!].  only gulda and annie fischer surpass jando in that respect.  tho i admit my exposure to most of the newer cycles is still pretty limited so there may be others quite like it...idk

Mandryka

The way he plays the Pastoral sonata here  makes me think of a late Tchaikovsky symphony, it's so turbulent in the first movement. Quite remarkable.

I'm just starting to explore this set so I was wondering if anyone else has got through the formidable sound challenge it presents, and if they've found any other special performances in there.

By the way it turns out that Beethoven didn't call the pastoral sonata "pastoral", so I guess you can play it turbulent if you you think you can make music like that.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on August 30, 2012, 05:31:22 AM
I'm just starting to explore this set so I was wondering if anyone else has got through the formidable sound challenge it presents, and if they've found any other special performances in there.

How poor is the sound? I have yet to hear that set and Spotify doesn't have any of it.

Wait! Is this it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCJYLP2zH94

Mandryka

You  can hear most of what he's doing I would say.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on August 30, 2012, 05:44:15 AM
You  can hear most of what he's doing I would say.

I agree (if yours is the one I linked to.)

Firefox users who are now running FF15 can listen to youtube links directly from a link. When I click the triangle next to my link, a windows slides in from the left, playing the youtube video. (without going to youtube) Very cool. Or is that a new function of this site?

Looks like it's a Yahoo web player. Anyone see it with their browser?

Mandryka

It's true that in op 28 there's someone coughing and farting in the audience all the way through the first movement. But I think that adds to the pastoral experience -- country folk are always doing that sort of thing.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on August 30, 2012, 05:49:46 AM
It's true that in op 28 there's someone coughing and farting in the audience all the way through the first movement. But I think that adds to the pastoral experience -- country folk are always doing that sort of thing.

;D :D ;D