Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: xochitl on March 07, 2013, 07:52:57 PM
just heard the last sonatas with vladimir feltsman on a 'musical heritage society' album

i gotta say: what a thoroughly satisfying way he has with this music

Agreed.   I just went on a little splurge and ordered up almost all his Beethoven, Chopin and Bach CDs--in fact, at the moment,  I've got his recording of the Chopin Nocturnes playing--the one you have I have as a Nimbus re-issue.   Performance wise, it's a golden mean.  His recording of the Hammerklavier is costing me a little trouble.  I've had two Amazon Marketplace sellers cancel after confessing that they don't actually have the CD to send to me--say it's lost in their inventory (is it possible that it was actually the same vendor under different names?  Possible.  The first vendor took a week to cancel, after a fretful email from me; the second cancelled for almost exactly the same reason, but within three days and without prompting.... perhaps he had learned from the first time.)   So tonight I ordered it again from a different Amazon MP vendor.  Fingers crossed that third time will the charm....

I ordered a new copy, but apparently you can get a used copy for under $5

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 07, 2013, 08:06:37 PMFingers crossed that third time will the charm....

I just picked that disc up a few weeks ago but have not had a chance to listen.  His disc of the last three sonatas is outstanding, so I have high hopes for this one.  I'm planning on giving it a spin this weekend.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

You know, it's never too soon to start thinking about the future.  In 2020, it will be 250 years since the Big Man's birth, and that will mean recordings and reissues and boxes galore.  And while it's still a solid seven years out, I have to think that some A&R folks are out there plotting.  That would mean new sonata cycles.  Who among contemporary pianists would you most like to hear record a complete cycle for the big occasion?  A few I'd like to hear, in no particular order, save Endres:

Michael Endres - could he be the first pianist to be equally good in Mozart, Schubert, and Beethoven?
Paavali Jumppanen - in the can; I believe it will be a DG issue, but I could be wrong
Jonathan Biss - already underway, of course
Jean Efflam Bavouzet - same
Leif Ove Andsnes – seems only natural at this point in his career
Herbert Schuch – please, please, please
Andrea Lucchesini - second cycle; I read that he was interested in recording it on fortepiano
Robert Silverman - second cycle; in the can; don't know when it will be released
Krystian Zimerman - this has a zero percent probability of occurring, methinks, but imagine the possibilities
Zoltan Kocsis – same as with Zimerman
Maurizio Pollini – will he finish the cycle?
David Greilsammer – see Herbert Schuch
Arcadi Volodos – won't happen, and I'm not completely sure it should, but I would love to hear him in 28 and 106
Marc Andre Hamelin – I doubt this will happen, but who knows?  The one caveat is that it should be a live set.  I heard him play in person last weekend, and he is more vital live.
Penelope Crawford – see Herbert Schuch

kishnevi

I thought Andsnes has ruled out doing a sonata cycle?

What about Staier doing a fortepiano cycle?

Nelson Friere would doubtless be a good one, but his interests seem to lie elsewhere

Brian

Quote from: Todd on March 08, 2013, 06:59:11 AM
Michael Endres - could he be the first pianist to be equally good in Mozart, Schubert, and Beethoven?
Off-topic, but have you heard Endres' Ravel and Schumann? I've dipped into the Schumann recently, but not into any of my favorite works just yet.

Andrea Lucchesini - second cycle; I read that he was interested in recording it on fortepiano
Gaaah pleeeaaasseee

I believe Yevgeny Sudbin will be releasing a single, stand-alone disc of Beethoven sonatas within the next year or so.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on March 08, 2013, 08:36:47 AMOff-topic, but have you heard Endres' Ravel and Schumann? I've dipped into the Schumann recently, but not into any of my favorite works just yet.

Yes.  The Schumann has grown on me with repeated listens, and the Album fur Jugend is the relatively best thing he did in this rep, though all of it is very good.  His Ravel is extremely well played, but variable in terms of quality, ranging from average-ish to well done.  His Weber is pretty freakin' sweet for what it is (ie, Weber).  Seems like he is a Germanic rep guy, though his Gershwin and Bax are surprisingly good.

Fred

Berezovsky playing 106 and 111.  I would spring some cash for that.

DavidA

Quote from: Holden on March 07, 2013, 12:05:03 PM
Is it the DG edition?

Yes, the earlier mono edition. Sound really good. Playing wonderful!

Mandryka

I thought the transfer on this series was  better than the one on DG

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

You know, it's never too soon to start thinking about the future.  In 2020, it will be 250 years since the Big Man's birth, and that will mean recordings and reissues and boxes galore.  And while it's still a solid seven years out, I have to think that some A&R folks are out there plotting.  That would mean new sonata cycles.  Who among contemporary pianists would you most like to hear record a complete cycle for the big occasion?  A few I'd like to hear, in no particular order, save Endres:

Paavali Jumppanen - in the can; I believe it will be a DG issue, but I could be wrong
Jonathan Biss - already underway, of course
Jean Efflam Bavouzet - same
Leif Ove Andsnes – seems only natural at this point in his career
Robert Silverman - second cycle; in the can; don't know when it will be released
Krystian Zimerman - this has a zero percent probability of occurring, methinks, but imagine the possibilities
Zoltan Kocsis – same as with Zimerman
Maurizio Pollini – will he finish the cycle?
David Greilsammer – see Herbert Schuch
Arcadi Volodos – won't happen, and I'm not completely sure it should, but I would love to hear him in 28 and 106
Marc Andre Hamelin – I doubt this will happen, but who knows?  The one caveat is that it should be a live set.  I heard him play in person last weekend, and he is more vital live.

You're obviously not so keen on Paul Komen. Anyway he's the one I'd like to see more of most, along with Sokolov, whose Hammerklavier I'm going to hear on March 22 in Lyon. Oh, Beghin too, whose op 111 is the most interesting I've heard in a long time And there's Andersewski, whose promise of magnificent Beethoven after the Diabellies and op 110 seems to have been forgotten. And Pletnev. Has he given up solo piano playing for a while? And Pogorelich, whose Beethoven in Athens in 2008 was much much more interesting than the sonatas he recorded for DG, I hope he gets his head together to record some of it.

Maybe most of all I'd like to see a cycle from Elisabeth Leonskaja. Her series of recitals in London a couple of years ago were unforgettable.

I thought  Schuch's op 111 was quite nice, but I'm surprised to see such strong enthusiasm. I'll listen again, maybe I missed something.

I have some live Kocsis Beethoven recordings which are extraordinary, much more impressive than his studio Beethoven on Philips.

I'm not sure what to say about Pollini, I don't know whether I want more or whether I've had enough. He's so challenging, in op 2 for example. But maybe being challenged like that is a good thing.

It's a shame that Elisso Virssaladze doesn't address Beethoven sonatas some more.

Opus106

Out in the wild, in the UK, tomorrow.

[asin]B00B2Z1CPY[/asin]

Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: Opus106 on March 10, 2013, 09:22:50 AM
Out in the wild, in the UK, tomorrow.

[asin]B00B2Z1CPY[/asin]

Load up on those CD's you have always wanted to have before returning home.   LOL ...

Mandryka

The Koroliov above is on spotify, I'll listen to it soon. I feel that he's very often disappointing though.

Here's Sokolov playing the Hammerklavier in Paris last year. For me it's one of the most convincing I know on record, same league as  Richter-Haaser, Gilels live, Kempff and Yudina; more satisfying on the whole than  Backhaus and Pollini live and Solomon:

http://www.youtube.com/v/NYUn6TRntFc

NJ Joe

I have not yet had a chance to peruse this thread, but I am currently immersing myself in the Gulda/Eloquence set, starting at the beginning and working in order. I'm currently up to No. 7, listening to each work 2-3-4 times.

For the first time, after several tries over the years with various performances, these pieces are being unlocked for me. It's an experience that is beyond words.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Todd

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 13, 2013, 05:16:45 PMFor the first time, after several tries over the years with various performances, these pieces are being unlocked for me. It's an experience that is beyond words.

Gulda's Amadeo cycle (reissued by Decca - I've got the same incarnation as you) is indeed one of the titanic complete cycles.  Glad it opened up the works for you.

George

Quote from: Todd on March 13, 2013, 05:23:53 PM

Gulda's Amadeo cycle (reissued by Decca - I've got the same incarnation as you) is indeed one of the titanic complete cycles.  Glad it opened up the works for you.

It's a classic set for sure!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

Is Gulda (amadeo) better than Gulda live on Orfeo?

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on March 12, 2013, 11:14:46 AM
The Koroliov above is on spotify, I'll listen to it soon. I feel that he's very often disappointing though.

Here's Sokolov playing the Hammerklavier in Paris last year. For me it's one of the most convincing I know on record, same league as  Richter-Haaser, Gilels live, Kempff and Yudina; more satisfying on the whole than  Backhaus and Pollini live and Solomon:

http://www.youtube.com/v/NYUn6TRntFc

I have another Sokolov Hammerklavier that I rate very highly. It's from 1975 and the slow movement is just so superbly played, but then again so is the rest of the sonata. It is my favourite version. Hasanyone else heard it and can compare it to this 2012 rendition?
Cheers

Holden

Todd