Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 08, 2013, 07:56:29 AMBe aware that the Decca Eloquence box (Gulda spielt Beethoven), which is how I have the Orfeo cycle,  does not contain the Diabellis.

The Decca cycle and the Orfeo cycle are not the same thing.  The Orfeo cycle was not issued in any form until just a few years ago by Orfeo.  Gulda spielt Beethoven is the Amadeo cycle. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kishnevi

Quote from: Todd on April 08, 2013, 08:03:14 AM

The Decca cycle and the Orfeo cycle are not the same thing.  The Orfeo cycle was not issued in any form until just a few years ago by Orfeo.  Gulda spielt Beethoven is the Amadeo cycle.

Well, I suppose that would explain why my set doesn't have the Diabellis.

Post edited to reflect the correction.  This is what happens when I skip my cup of coffee in the morning.

Mandryka

Quote from: DavidRoss on April 08, 2013, 07:03:28 AM
See http://www.magle.dk/music-forums/1016-beethoven-piano-sonata-cycle.html , post #1 & #4.

Thanks Todd. i'd seen those before. i had meant the Diabelli Variations specifically though. I was curious pabout his earlier recording of op120.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kishnevi

(Cross posted from the main Listening thread.  Thank goodness I have Biss's volume 2 to look forward to for tomorrow)

Yundi (Li) playing Beethoven Sonatas (Pathetique, Moonlight, Appassionata)

First two sonatas, at least, are nice,  mellow.  Pretty.  Perfect  music for the spa to play while you're getting a massage, but not much more.   There's not even an excess of romantic overplaying to make it interesting.

Hold on--this is the first movement of the Appassionata, and even that's given a (relatively) mellow, relaxed reading.

I didn't have high expectations for this one, which is a good thing because what expectations I had are not being met.

Todd

A couple items of note from Japan.

First, eight discs of Richter playing LvB.  Incomplete, but convenient.

Second, Paul Badura Skoda's period instrument cycle.  It's an XRCD issue, for those interested in such things.  Alas, it's ¥28,000, which even with the yen plummeting as of late leaves the set on the pricey side.  Still, it's intriguing . . .

Que

Quote from: Todd on April 09, 2013, 05:37:51 AM
Second, Paul Badura Skoda's period instrument cycle.  It's an XRCD issue, for those interested in such things.  Alas, it's ¥28,000, which even with the yen plummeting as of late leaves the set on the pricey side.  Still, it's intriguing . . .

I'm so surprised that it is out there and would love to get it, but €218 excl. p&p in rather pricey indeed... :(

Q

xochitl

just listened to the middle sonatas with Goode and for some reason it really bored me.  it's really strange cos this used to be one of my reference cycles.  i think it may be Brautigam's fault

Fred

Have just been listening to Jan Jiracek von Arnim's live recording of 111 (on Telos) and it really, really bowled me over.  His technique made me think of Korstick, but he sounded more engaged.  Extraordinary how much talent there is out there we (or at least 1) never hear about.

Oldnslow

If you want a real jolt of adrenaline, give a listen to Maria Grinberg's complete set set on Melodyia. So far in my listening, I rate them right up their with Annie Fischer---very similar in approach. A wonderful pianist, very little known and appreciated.

Cato

I was just listening to some of the later sonatas (Op. 90, 101, 106) from my Wilhelm Backhaus set on Decca.

Quote from: Oldnslow on May 09, 2013, 12:32:43 PM
If you want a real jolt of adrenaline, give a listen to Maria Grinberg's complete set set on Melodyia. So far in my listening, I rate them right up their with Annie Fischer---very similar in approach. A wonderful pianist, very little known and appreciated.

I would be interested in these: it is hard to imagine anything more energetic than the Backhaus set, but I am willing to be convinced!  Oldnslow: Do you know the Backhaus performances?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Todd

Quote from: Cato on May 09, 2013, 01:08:17 PMI would be interested in these: it is hard to imagine anything more energetic than the Backhaus set, but I am willing to be convinced!

I assume you refer to the stereo set, in which case the mono set is perhaps slightly more energetic.  More energetic non-Backhaus sets for me would be Gulda (Amadeo and Orfeo), Ciani, Annie Fischer, Brautigam, Gieseking, Lipkin, Kikuchi (at least until the late sonatas) and, alas, Lim.

Cato

Quote from: Todd on May 09, 2013, 01:18:33 PM

I assume you refer to the stereo set, in which case the mono set is perhaps slightly more energetic.  More energetic non-Backhaus sets for me would be Gulda (Amadeo and Orfeo), Ciani, Annie Fischer, Brautigam, Gieseking, Lipkin, Kikuchi (at least until the late sonatas) and, alas, Lim.

Okay, Todd many thanks for the recommendations!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

George

Quote from: Cato on May 09, 2013, 02:21:55 PM
Okay, Todd many thanks for the recommendations!

I second the Gulda and Annie Fischer recommendations.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

The last volume in Christian Leotta's cycle is scheduled for release next month.  An uneven and not especially strong cycle so far, but I'll be buying the last twofer, that's for sure.

Wakefield

Quote from: Todd on May 09, 2013, 01:18:33 PM
I assume you refer to the stereo set, in which case the mono set is perhaps slightly more energetic.  More energetic non-Backhaus sets for me would be [...] and, alas, Lim.

I was attracted by this aspect of her performances, but I'm aware of the ferocious criticism about her cycle. So I took  a totally unorthodox decision for me: I bought her set on iTunes for $15. It's available for USA-residents for $8 on Amazon. A digital booklet is included... Just in case. 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

jlaurson

Packaging Question:

If I recall correctly, this version of the 70s set is in a thin-to-medium thick paper slip case (not really a box) and then two (?) multi-CD jewel cases inside?

Nothing fancy like the 80s set, right? Or is the booklet fantastic? (Basically: Any reason at all to prefer this packaging over the international re-packaging with the Haitink Concertos?)

Todd

Quote from: jlaurson on June 18, 2013, 09:38:48 AM
Packaging Question:

If I recall correctly, this version of the 70s set is in a thin-to-medium thick paper slip case (not really a box) and then two (?) multi-CD jewel cases inside?

My set has three fat cases and a reasonably nice set of notes in a separate booklet.  I see no reason to prefer it to any other reissue.

jlaurson

Quote from: Todd on June 18, 2013, 10:11:02 AM

My set has three fat cases and a reasonably nice set of notes in a separate booklet.  I see no reason to prefer it to any other reissue.

Awesome. Many thanks for the quick turnaround!

Jay F

Quote from: jlaurson on June 18, 2013, 10:25:52 AM
Awesome. Many thanks for the quick turnaround!

The new, skinny box set, with recordings made 1971-1978, looks like this:

[asin]B0043UOQ26[/asin]

Brian

ALERT ALERT

Steven Masi is starting a new cycle, self-released on CD Baby. Sound samples available for every track.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevenmasi

Masi's website
http://www.stevenmasi.com/

I've never heard of Masi, but I'm probably gonna end up with MusicWeb's review copy.