Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Oh. Poop. I assumed it was Annie Fischer forgetting there was an Edwin. Well, her theme DID seem faster and variation #3 did seem slower...

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on October 07, 2013, 03:38:38 PM
Oh. Poop. I assumed it was Annie Fischer forgetting there was an Edwin. Well, her theme DID seem faster and variation #3 did seem slower...

But have you heard the Sam Fischer? He slows down to a crawl in #3, probably 'cause he don't play the piano too good.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: aquariuswb on October 07, 2013, 02:47:24 PM
No condescension intended.

That's all right. You don't seem to be a revisionist, so I'll forgive you.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Fred

Nobody hear mentions Robert Taub (except Todd last year).  I've listened to his HK and thought it a real powerhouse performance.  Man as a prodigious technique.  If anyone wants to investigate, I suggest that you buy the performance edition of his complete beethoven cycle.  There are two vols (Vol 1 and Vol 2).  They are listed under "books", not "music" in Amazon.  Each volume should cost you less than 10 pounds plus shipping.  I know, it sounds a bit strange, but it's a lot cheaper than buying the individual CDs under "music"
P.S. What happened to Robert Taub?  Doesn't seem to have recorded in years.

Fred

Though I should warn that the sound of the Taub recordings is pretty harsh.  Don't think it does him any favours at all.

kishnevi

I posted this in the New Releases thread a couple of days ago, but it would have been better here.  So, to make up the omission, is notice that this is now available (at least on the eastern side of the Pond.

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 14, 2013, 05:55:15 PM
I posted this in the New Releases thread a couple of days ago, but it would have been better here.  So, to make up the omission, is notice that this is now available (at least on the eastern side of the Pond.

It's old news here.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kishnevi

Quote from: Todd on October 14, 2013, 06:13:55 PM

It's old news here.

But now we can actually buy it (although I have yet to pull the trigger at Presto, at least until I'm sure the government, and therefore Customs, has gotten back to its usual level of inefficient functioning).

Florestan

Any opininons on this set? I've been listening to some sonatas on my car radio and rather liked it.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on October 18, 2013, 03:26:12 AM
Any opininons on this set? I've been listening to some sonatas on my car radio and rather liked it.

Here's Todd's thread.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on October 18, 2013, 03:32:23 AM
Thanks. Another nice and thoughtful review from our good neighbour Todd.  :)
Yes indeed - and notice the last post!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

aquablob

I've been listening to some late Arrau and just finished making my way through his 1980s LvB sonatas. Ultimately the 1960s set is the one to have, being complete and slightly sharper in terms of technique (but really not by much—Arrau in his 80s still had monster chops), but Arrau II is really really good.

Other sets I've listened to recently are Kovacevich, Lortie, Barenboim II, Brendel II, and Brautigam, and while I'd find it very difficult to rank them, I can definitely say that Arrau II would come out near the top if I did. He's slow, to be sure (his 1960s set is just as slow, though—I really don't think it's an age or loss-of-technique thing), but he's always interesting, always engaged. You never sense that he's on auto-pilot. He's a master of phrasing and articulation. Everything is so well-balanced. He'll accent a note just the right way when he wants to draw your attention to a middle voice. And I find that he has a wonderful sense of how long rests should be.

And the sound is *nice*. On some tracks the pianist's breathing is much too loud, and as is often the case you can sometimes hear his nails hitting the keys (and did he sometimes wear a watch when he played? at times I thought I noticed some jangling sound), but the tone of the piano on these recordings is lovely.

Todd

Quote from: aquariuswb on October 18, 2013, 07:12:56 AMI've been listening to some late Arrau and just finished making my way through his 1980s LvB sonatas.

Did you happen to acquire this one recently, and if so, may I inquire where?  (I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because that set is one I haven't been able to locate at a sane price.)

aquablob

No, not any time recently. Sorry.

Todd

Quote from: aquariuswb on October 18, 2013, 07:32:32 AMNo, not any time recently. Sorry.

Damn.  I shall have to take solace in the seventy-four cycles I currently own then.  At least for the time being.

aquablob

Brian

Quote from: Todd on October 18, 2013, 07:35:14 AM
Damn.  I shall have to take solace in the seventy-four cycles I currently own then.  At least for the time being.

Assuming those are complete (e.g., you're not counting Gilels), that's 2,368 sonatas right there! Well, 2,366, because HJ Lim.

Todd

Quote from: aquariuswb on October 18, 2013, 07:40:30 AMOnly 74?

I know, I have been remiss in my duties.

Quote from: Brian on October 18, 2013, 07:57:26 AMAssuming those are complete (e.g., you're not counting Gilels), that's 2,368 sonatas right there! Well, 2,366, because HJ Lim.

I include two incomplete cycles in my count (Gilels and Gieseking/Tahra) since they are close to complete.  I'm at the point now where it's almost easier to list the currently complete cycles I don't own than the ones I do own.  Below are the cycles I have yet to obtain, in rough order of interest.  If need be, I may obtain Riefling and PBS 1 on vinyl.

Robert Riefling
Paul Badura-Skoda 1 (Westminster)
Takahiro Sonoda 2 (expensive)
Claudio Arrau 2 (Philips, incomplete)
Walter Gieseking (EMI, incomplete)
Garrick Ohlsson (will wait for box)
Mari Kodama (will wait for box)
Michael Houstoun (got some on MP3; need the real deal)
Kazune Shimizu
Tatiana Nikolayeva
Peter Roesel
Robert Taub
Daniela Varinska
Shoko Sugitani
Malcolm Binns (is it complete?)
Michael Steinberg (gone forever?)
Robert Benz (gone forever?)
Gotthard Kladetzky (gone forever?)
Malcolm Bilson, et al (not too interested in many pianists for a cycle)

Oldnslow

Todd--you should get Igor Tchetuev's cycle ( through 6 volumes so far) on Caro Mitis--wonderful player, fabulous sound. I'd be interested in your opinion. I'm listening to el-Bacha's set now, which I picked up very cheaply in Paris recently--quite good so far, very middle of the road.....